Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Memex is probs the best up here in Canada and their location is like 5 mins from my house haha that's why!

I have no idea when it comes to BIOS stuff. Never played around in there much. My current Mobo is an ASUS I believe though, about 5 or 6 years old. Same with the Processor's age, 5 - 6 years. I just want Sony Vegas to run better. I have no idea :(

This machine has literally taken everything I've thrown at it - ever. But not Vegas lately with the 1080p stuff from the black edition 3.
Ahh didn't notice the location! Well if there is a store 5 mins from your house, then go for it! I have to order all my parts online. :p

That would probably work, as long as the MoBo is a 1155 socket board. That processor is a 1155 socket I believe. I may not be using the appropriate terminology, but it's been 2 years since I've researched computer parts. I could use some refreshing.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I was watching some old GoPro footage and have to say that the footage itself looks grainy. I remember GoPro coming out with a firmware update for the Hero 3's. I think that firmware update cleaned the video right up. It just so happened that I started using premiere after the update as well. So Vegas may not have been adding the grain, but it still does some whacky RBG stuff every now and again! I'm using premiere from here on out though so it doesn't really matter to me.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Let's get technical here. I've done some tests now:

So, when I pull a RAW file off the GoPro 3 Black Ed. (MP4 File) it's 122mb (10 second clip)

Now, when I use the GoPro Cineform software to import the file from the Micro SD card -- Convert to AVI format (720p still, 60fps - highest quality) it goes down to 96MB file size. However, it's an AVI now.

When I put the 122MB raw MP4 file into Sony Vegas Pro 12 I get a shitload of issues. The preview playback is VERY choppy, laggy, low frame rate. This makes editing VERY difficult.

When I put the 96MB converted AVI file into Sony Vegas .. I get VERY smooth, clean, crisp, and consistent editing. No crashing yet, smooth transitions, editing is great.

Does this sound appropriate? The extra step bothers me having to convert the file, and I'm not too big a fan of the lower file size. I'm assuming I'm losing some quality...

I never ever once had any issues like this with my GoPro 2. Could this be because my GoPro 2 files weren't as compressed in MP4 with lower quality?? I'm shooting in the same 720p setting. But somehow the GoPro 3 Black just doesn't work in Vegas.

Any ideas before I spend $600 on upgrading the Mobo, to upgrade the CPU, and upgrade to DDR3 RAM ?? Should I just suck it up with the extra step?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Let's get technical here. I've done some tests now:

So, when I pull a RAW file off the GoPro 3 Black Ed. (MP4 File) it's 122mb (10 second clip)

Now, when I use the GoPro Cineform software to import the file from the Micro SD card -- Convert to AVI format (720p still, 60fps - highest quality) it goes down to 96MB file size. However, it's an AVI now.

When I put the 122MB raw MP4 file into Sony Vegas Pro 12 I get a shitload of issues. The preview playback is VERY choppy, laggy, low frame rate. This makes editing VERY difficult.

When I put the 96MB converted AVI file into Sony Vegas .. I get VERY smooth, clean, crisp, and consistent editing. No crashing yet, smooth transitions, editing is great.

Does this sound appropriate? The extra step bothers me having to convert the file, and I'm not too big a fan of the lower file size. I'm assuming I'm losing some quality...

I never ever once had any issues like this with my GoPro 2. Could this be because my GoPro 2 files weren't as compressed in MP4 with lower quality?? I'm shooting in the same 720p setting. But somehow the GoPro 3 Black just doesn't work in Vegas.

Any ideas before I spend $600 on upgrading the Mobo, to upgrade the CPU, and upgrade to DDR3 RAM ?? Should I just suck it up with the extra step?
I have a pretty good computer. Built it 2 years ago this summer. My Vegas was choppy with GoPro vids. I just turned down the quality. I think it's because vegas either uses the CPU or the GPU to render the preview. I think it uses the CPU. Whatever Vegas uses, Premiere uses the opposite I'm pretty sure, because everything is silky smooth in Premiere (although transitions can cause some choppiness on the preview screen).

·
Fast Lane Ukraine
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I'm trying Premiere CS6 and just sucking at it. Not sure why because I am a photog. and fly through Photoshop CS6 with my eyes closed... this is buggin me :'(
You'll get a hang of it. It takes a little time. It's more similar to After Effects than Photoshop...because of the keynotes, etc. I watched one basic YouTube tutorial and I was off to the races after that...when I start blogging this upcoming season, I'll be fine. Also, I love how they have a dedicated YouTune preset when writing the movie file...so nice.

As for your issue above...it's possible Sony Vegas just has bad codecs which is why it works great with AVI's and not so great with MP4's. And by bad, I mean the product itself is poor...not anything you did or that is on your system.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Aurodox, we should compare Premiere export settings some time. I'm curious what you're using compared to what I am using, just in case there's anything I can improve. Do you do anything special to deal with motion? My settings are all maxed-out, pretty-much. Exporting as MP4. I'm curious about your bandwidth settings too.
One thing I've noticed is that YouTube has max bit rates for each resolution of video that I can't remember offhand. Find settings to match that bit rate as closely as possible and use multiple passes to maximize video quality at that bit rate (using constant instead of vbr unless you are able to set a max bit rate under vbr settings). This will prevent YouTube from as much processing as possible as it will process it to ensure your video adheres to their maximums.

For sure, I'll send you a PM. I find that my settings work for me. I bet the video could look even better if I found a way to turn off resampling (that is, if Premiere uses it by default). Have you noticed the quality in Accidental Broadcast videos going to crap when he rides through trees and the video quickly transitions from darker to lighter because of the shade? I have. It may just be my YT being retarded, as is the case with a lot of YT problems, but it could be that he uses a resampling. Every time I have not turned resampling off in Vegas, the video would become pixelated in drastically different lighting conditions on clips. It would also become pixelated while showing a still frame. I haven't had a noticeable experience with Premiere doing anything like that, but I have noticed it on AB's videos. I don't really want to say it's him though because of his experience and his background with photography and videography, but you never know. He may be using resampling as an advantage for one aspect of the video, and the pixelation is result of that. Who knows, but it's been bugging me as of late.

All that to say, sure thing. I don't mind sharing my secrets if someone asks. :D
The pixellation in light dark transitions might be because he is using automatic exposure settings. And not only can shutter speed be adjusted but when the shutter speed is lowered to the fps of the video, the iso could be being adjusted. Higher iso settings increase graininess in the image.

Another reason video gets grainy when there are a lot of objects on screen is because of the bit rate which if set too low can only retain so much detail. Anything being still can be compressed greatly to meet bit rate constraints but moving objects require more data. It could also be that he's exporting the video to very high quality and just uploading as is to YouTube who run their own processing to reduce the video bit rate to meet their limits.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Here are the encoding settings: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en

So at 1080p, it looks like we want a 8Mbps bitrate.

Unless we have an enterprise quality internet connection. Which I'm guessing just means a good connection? Then we would want a 50Mbps bitrate.

My settings are right in between the two.

·
Registered
322 Posts
:announcement_smilie

I've resolved my issue, I think!!
So excited. I went somewhat in depth today with trying something I thought of the other night before going to sleep. I've determined that the GP3 Black videos are much more compressed than the GP2 videos. I like to shoot 720p for a few reasons, but battery life if my main reason, and the fact that I don't see too much a difference in my vlogs being 720 or 1080 lol.

The GP3 in 720p only shoots a minimum of 60fps. Whereas the GP2 shoots 30fps. Because of this, the GP3 .mp4 files contain TWICE the amount of data. This must be what caused Sony Vegas to not be able to handle the footage. Perhaps my processor can't fuel Vegas with the power it needs, whatever the reason, it just couldn't edit the footage well. (And I didn't want to spend $600-$700 upgrading my computer build.)

The GP3 RAW test file I shot was roughly 600mb. Couldn't edit it. Caused Vegas to lag.

The solution was simple. Import the footage from the memory card THROUGH the GoPro Cinema software. No need to even touch the RAW file, just put the card in, import, convert and I selected .MOV. 60fps, highest quality.

It imported and converted to a 3GB .MOV file. Massive!!!
Pulled that into Vegas and boom. Smooth, clean, lag-free, crash-free editing. Flawless. Absolutely flawless. I even layered another video over top of the footage and edited it (timing and lined up the footage) perfectly. So happy. Only took 5 mins extra to import/convert.

Rendered the file using my usual settings and it's beautiful now!!!! So happy!!!

Sorry for the long post. Wanted to share my excitement. :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
this makes sense in a way. my camera will record at 720P @ 30 fps and record about twice the data then when it records at 1080P @ 25 fps

i then run the saved file from the camera thru winff and convert to xvid & upload to youtube & it compresses the original file by about 10:1

·
Registered
322 Posts
Ugh. Scratch my last post 2 above.
Vegas is shitting the bed. Like it's literally garbage.

GoPro 2 videos work flawless in Vegas.

But for whatever the f*ck reason, GoPro 3 videos cause the playback preview to drop to very very low framerate. It makes editing not even possible because I can't even see what I'm doing.

I guess I'm gonna have to switch over to Premiere Pro CS6... Anyones have any tips or good tutorials for getting the basics? I do alot of music matching, titles, cuts/splicing and would love to be able to do it as easily as I can in Vegas. Premiere is too overwhelming.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts

But for whatever the f*ck reason, GoPro 3 videos cause the playback preview to drop to very very low framerate. It makes editing not even possible because I can't even see what I'm doing.

I guess I'm gonna have to switch over to Premiere Pro CS6... Anyones have any tips or good tutorials for getting the basics? I do alot of music matching, titles, cuts/splicing and would love to be able to do it as easily as I can in Vegas. Premiere is too overwhelming.
What specs are your computer? It doesnt do that on my desktop but on my laptop it has a really low fps in the preview.

·
Registered
116 Posts

Have you considered using surrogate files?

I know some editors can do this for you (I thought Vegas did this automatically), you basically export your raw videos to a new folder in garbage resolution just to ease the burden, do all your work, and then before your final render, move those files and replace them with your original raw video? You will have to make sure that the files are named exactly what the surrogates were named and it should make no difference to the editor.

·
Registered
322 Posts
What specs are your computer? It doesnt do that on my desktop but on my laptop it has a really low fps in the preview.
So you use Vegas 12 and are able to edit your GoPro 3 videos raw straight from the memory card and they playback fine?

My specs are about that of a 5 year old build, the CPU is AMD Phenom Quad 2.6ghz...I beleive but to upgrade that there's alot of work involved ...

No idea anymore what I should do :(

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
So you use Vegas 12 and are able to edit your GoPro 3 videos raw straight from the memory card and they playback fine?

My specs are about that of a 5 year old build, the CPU is AMD Phenom Quad 2.6ghz...I beleive but to upgrade that there's alot of work involved ...

No idea anymore what I should do :(
It worked completely fine on my desktop, even 4k video it would be smooth as butter in the preview box.(my desktop had an i7 3770k at 4.8ghz, nvidia gtx 780, 16gb ram, ssd, etc..) So yea you will probably just need to upgrade. My laptop is an ultrabook so its super thin and has a 1.7ghz i5 and 8gb of ram with integrated graphics and the preview box is extremely choppy and makes rendering hard to do. I'd just recommend upgrading your computer if you have the funds.

·
Registered
322 Posts
It worked completely fine on my desktop, even 4k video it would be smooth as butter in the preview box.(my desktop had an i7 3770k at 4.8ghz, nvidia gtx 780, 16gb ram, ssd, etc..) So yea you will probably just need to upgrade. My laptop is an ultrabook so its super thin and has a 1.7ghz i5 and 8gb of ram with integrated graphics and the preview box is extremely choppy and makes rendering hard to do. I'd just recommend upgrading your computer if you have the funds.

What about upgrading my GPU? Right now I've got an ATI 7770 .. About 2 years old. Works well with most gaming but I can't get my settings to Ultra on anything... mostly just mid.

Specs are from my recollection:
AMD Phenom Quad Core 2.6ghz
8GB DDR2
ATI 7770

Then the usual like 600 something PSU, 1tb hd, and whatever Mobo is supporting my CPU.

Wondering if I upgraded to something newer in the $300 range for GPU's? Would be alot easier to upgrade my GPU than my Prcessor, Mobo, and RAM, and have to reinstall windows and restore everything.

The computer has no trouble rendering or importing, works fine, no troubles.
It's just framerates with GoPro 3 videos. My Gopro 2 videos in 1080 stream flawlessy...

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
What about upgrading my GPU? Right now I've got an ATI 7770 .. About 2 years old. Works well with most gaming but I can't get my settings to Ultra on anything... mostly just mid.

Specs are from my recollection:
AMD Phenom Quad Core 2.6ghz
8GB DDR2
ATI 7770

Then the usual like 600 something PSU, 1tb hd, and whatever Mobo is supporting my CPU.

Wondering if I upgraded to something newer in the $300 range for GPU's? Would be alot easier to upgrade my GPU than my Prcessor, Mobo, and RAM, and have to reinstall windows and restore everything.

The computer has no trouble rendering or importing, works fine, no troubles.
It's just framerates with GoPro 3 videos. My Gopro 2 videos in 1080 stream flawlessy...
Just upgrade your cpu, mobo, and ram first. That should do it, the 7770 is a perfectly fine card. Also I'm pretty sure vegas doesnt use the gpu in the preview box, it only uses it when rendering. You can always try out adobe premiere and see how it works before you go out and upgrade.

41 - 60 of 102 Posts