Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Fast Lane Ukraine
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a quick search and nothing came up. Starting this fall, I plan to vlog. That being said, up until now I've been using CyberLink PowerDirector for editing but I was wondering what everyone uses.

I have a pretty decent PC so resources aren't an issue, but it seems like CL:pD has lost it's luster for me.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I've used sony vegas pro 99% of the times and Ive used cyberlink powerdirector a few times to give it a try but I hated the layout. You can use the sony vegas pro trial for a month before buying it to see how you like it, I'ts really expensive but if you think you are going to really get into motovlogging I would recommend it unless you are fine with using powerdirector.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I used to use Sony Vegas. I have since switched to Adobe Premiere CS6 and haven't looked back. Vegas has a very small learning curve in order to make basic videos. If you want to do anything more than basic transitions and effects, you'll need to learn more of the in's and out's of the program. After struggling for hours with Sony Vegas trying to come up with a good intro video, I threw in the towel and got a trial for Premiere CS6.

If you are the slightest bit good at photoshop, I'd recommend you go with Premiere. There is a slightly higher learning curve to start premiere, but once you get used to the layout and the functionality, you'll be churning out high quality videos in no time. Some things still baffle me (color correction), but that's just because I haven't put in the time to learn premiere's quirks. I will say this: premiere renders higher quality videos than Vegas. At least that has been my experience. Vegas would always render my videos with a grain, and would sometimes add some weird RBG curves that would make my videos look awful. I'll post an example of a Vegas rendered video and a Premiere rendered video from my channel so you can see the difference.

Vegas:
That video was accidentally rendered with some RBG setting that defaults on my projects in Vegas. I forgot to turn that off. Honestly, this video makes the GoPro video look like it was taken from a cell phone. And just so you can't claim that the GoPro sucks at night, here is a night video rendered in premiere with the same GoPro on the same settings.

Premiere CS6:

·
Registered
354 Posts
Thanks Auro. I'm decent with Photoshop and I used to mess around with After Effects. I'll have to give Premier a shot.
A lot of the functions will probably come naturally to you. :D

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
oh wow auro that second video is just beautiful and all the editing looks great as well. I used after effects years ago to make an intro but I never used it for rendering. Wish I still had my $3200 computer to try rendering a video with it. My hardware was too "new" for sony vegas and I could never take advantage of the superb rendering capabilites my card hard because sony vegas never updated for it. I definitely know adobe supports all the latest tech so I will definitely give it a try one day, and the video looks so crisp like its straight from the sd card.

·
Registered
354 Posts
oh wow auro that second video is just beautiful and all the editing looks great as well....I definitely know adobe supports all the latest tech so I will definitely give it a try one day, and the video looks so crisp like its straight from the sd card.
Thanks, but I am just a beginner. I don't know what I'm doing half the time. Imagine how powerful premiere is for someone who actually knows how to use it?! Definitely give it a try sometime. Vegas works, but premiere works wonders. In my opinion, of course.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
When I first started motovlogging, I tried Vegas. As much as I liked it, it was a crash-monster, and I have a pretty well-tuned PC with plenty of power, RAM, etc.

I switched to Adobe Premiere CS6 and although it took a bit to learn, I love it now. It helps that a lot of Adobe's software works in a similar fashion, with similar hotkeys. So, I bought the Adobe Production Suite and I've not looked back.

My vote would be for Adobe Premiere CS6. Plus, some of the tools you get in the Production Premium suite are nice; Photoshop (for obvious reasons), Adobe Audition (nice audio editor), etc.

·
Registered
354 Posts
The GP was set for 1080p, 30FPS, Protune off. I think those are the only settings that affect video...I used the wide screen setting. I can't think of anything else.

Reactions: Ilya

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Aurodox, we should compare Premiere export settings some time. I'm curious what you're using compared to what I am using, just in case there's anything I can improve. Do you do anything special to deal with motion? My settings are all maxed-out, pretty-much. Exporting as MP4. I'm curious about your bandwidth settings too.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Aurodox, we should compare Premiere export settings some time. I'm curious what you're using compared to what I am using, just in case there's anything I can improve. Do you do anything special to deal with motion? My settings are all maxed-out, pretty-much. Exporting as MP4. I'm curious about your bandwidth settings too.
For sure, I'll send you a PM. I find that my settings work for me. I bet the video could look even better if I found a way to turn off resampling (that is, if Premiere uses it by default). Have you noticed the quality in Accidental Broadcast videos going to crap when he rides through trees and the video quickly transitions from darker to lighter because of the shade? I have. It may just be my YT being retarded, as is the case with a lot of YT problems, but it could be that he uses a resampling. Every time I have not turned resampling off in Vegas, the video would become pixelated in drastically different lighting conditions on clips. It would also become pixelated while showing a still frame. I haven't had a noticeable experience with Premiere doing anything like that, but I have noticed it on AB's videos. I don't really want to say it's him though because of his experience and his background with photography and videography, but you never know. He may be using resampling as an advantage for one aspect of the video, and the pixelation is result of that. Who knows, but it's been bugging me as of late.

All that to say, sure thing. I don't mind sharing my secrets if someone asks. :D

·
Registered
707 Posts
Aurodox, the first video you're tachometer/dashboard light looks blue...is that because of the software and the configuration? I have yet to ride mine at night so I'm not sure what color it is when it lights up.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Lol I just tried rendering a short vid in premier and had no idea how to lol. Gonna look up some tutorials.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Aurodox, the first video you're tachometer/dashboard light looks blue...is that because of the software and the configuration? I have yet to ride mine at night so I'm not sure what color it is when it lights up.
The blue tint/over saturation and way too much contrast is from some setting Vegas likes to use by default. At night, the screen is white with a hint of green. Just the average LCD screen honestly. No colorful gimmicks. :p

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
In my export, I always turn frame blending off. Hopefully that disables some of the issues people are seeing with motion frame-blending. Is there a way to turn off resampling in Premiere?

·
Premium Member
12,370 Posts
im surprised no one had mentioned any stuff from the open source library. theres a few good ones around,

lives - http://lives.sourceforge.net/

dont think its for windows, i think its linux only, but if your new to linux and want to play with audio/video maybe ubuntu studio might suit you

http://ubuntustudio.org/

its a version of ubuntu loaded with all kinds of handy apps. you can take a stcok version of ubuntu

http://www.ubuntu.com/

and install everything and turn it in to ubuntu studio, but if you have never used linux before, it might be a little simpler to grab ubuntu studio

if you have never seen ubuntu before it is a free open source o/s , 100% free to own, use, copy & share with who ever you want.

some of the cool things you can do is download it from the web and creat a botable dvd or usb thumb drive with it, and then drop that in to just about any pc you like and reboot the pc and your into ubuntu. you can edit your files etc and save them, reboot the pc, remove the boot cd/usb stick, and windows restarts and off you go again.

linux is very bloody quick and even my pentium 4 HT , 3.4 Ghz pc with 1 gig of ram still runs very nicely with it. if i drop xp or anything other version of windows on it, it runs as slow as a snail.

another one that might interest you is open shot video editor

http://www.openshotvideo.com/

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
This stuff is really good to know about. I'm kind-of already wrapped-up with Adobe already though, especially because I use Photoshop so-heavily. Linux for me would be out of the question.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I did a quick search and nothing came up. Starting this fall, I plan to vlog. That being said, up until now I've been using CyberLink PowerDirector for editing but I was wondering what everyone uses.

I have a pretty decent PC so resources aren't an issue, but it seems like CL:pD has lost it's luster for me.
I use iMovie. Probably not the best video editing software money can buy but it came with my Mac so I am going the free route :)

I also just downloaded GoPro Studio 2.0 last night. Haven't used it yet but I plan on giving it a whirl once I upload my BKMoto headlight install vid.

·
Premium Member
12,370 Posts
This stuff is really good to know about. I'm kind-of already wrapped-up with Adobe already though, especially because I use Photoshop so-heavily. Linux for me would be out of the question.
have a look at GIMP its a app very similar to photoshop & its multiplatform as well, it might interest you, and open source as well

http://www.gimp.org/

1 - 20 of 102 Posts