Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I scared myself today. I was making a turn on to a side street when the steering went squirly. It felt like I rode through a puddle of oil in the apex of the turn. Luckily there was no oncoming traffic in the opposing lane. I corrected the error quickly and coasted about 20 feet while reflecting on the incident.

After that I went back to see what had caused the front wheel to slip. There was no oil, no gravel, no sand, and the pavement was dry. What I found was a small disposable plastic cup that had been smashed. It was smaller than your traditional red party cup and frosted/ transparent in color. I feel like I saw it but didn't make any effort to avoid running it over.

I was very lucky. It could have ended very badly

It was a cup like this that had been smashed

Lesson: Use a delayed apex cornering technique when riding off the track. I used a race cornering technique. Something I rarely do. If I used a delayed apex technique this would not have happened.
Scan far ahead to avoid hazards early. The only thing the tires should make contact with is clean dry pavement.

I hope this helps someone avoid a spill. Ride safe.

·
Super Moderator
1,075 Posts
Glad you made it out okay. Always be scanning ahead. I've been on quite a few group rides recently (with new people that I've never rode with before) and everyone is so good about pointing stuff out on the roads

·
Registered
958 Posts
But then the situation arises where you are hot into a corner and see something that looks like a hazard...oil, water, loose gravel, wet leaves, cups...now do you change your line and maybe go into the on-coming lane? It's a snap decision. I can tell you from my experience, when I was a newer rider, I created some near accidents by over-reacting to shadows, things in the road that would have been better to run over (I think), freaking out and breaking, going off the road. Then there are deer and cagers, etc. where the hazards come after us.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
Lesson: Try to avoid running over anything and everything. Whether it's a piece of toilet paper or a penny. The only thing the tires should make contact with is clean dry pavement.

I hope this helps someone avoid a spill. Ride safe.
did you stop & get it off the road or put in a bin or leave it there for the next rider to fall off when they hit it?

i regularly walk up and down my street in my neighborhood and get rocks etc off the road and put them in the bin, thats the last thing you want to see when riding down the road as a motorcyclist

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
did you stop & get it off the road or put in a bin or leave it there for the next rider to fall off when they hit it?

i regularly walk up and down my street in my neighborhood and get rocks etc off the road and put them in the bin, thats the last thing you want to see when riding down the road as a motorcyclist
I kicked it over into the gutter out of the path of travel. I probably should have picked it up but I have a problem picking up trash off the ground that's not mine.

·
Registered
923 Posts
:eek: srsly? I ran over a few today that i couldnt avoid in time. ill know for next time!
Yep, had I been going faster I think I would have been better off. I hit it, it crushed down and rolled my front tire to the side. Took all I had not to grab a first full of brake in that .04 seconds I had to react. Pine cones bad, pavement good.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Around here everyone has truck. The pull out on the road with a bed full of water. Next thing you know you hit water in a curve on a dry sunny day.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I swerved to avoid a golf ball. Rear tire caught it and and I got that same wobbling feeling.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Never ran over anything yet but have had on two occasions stupid dogs running out in front of me first one scared the crap out of me as it came out of no where the 2nd dog I did a little road rash kick as it did it again on the way back.

Bad pet owners suck.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts