Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my new 300 up Mt Glorious today for a ride through the twisties and freaked the hell out when I saw a bunch of gravel on the road. I froze up and ended up crossing oncoming lane and into a random driveway...thank god it was there else it could have ended badly.

On watching the video I had plenty of room and still could've taken this easily, is there anything I can do to convince myself not to freeze up like this?

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WO6jJDJngtI

·
Registered
344 Posts
It's like learning how to ski or snowboard for the first time. You have a natural fear of failing when you begin slipping and you tense up and do everything possible to avoid it. What you have to conquer and learn is that loose debris in the roadway requires control and not fear.

You can safely slide just a bit in the debris using proper braking/throttle/steering control. Just watch a few motor cross and GP track racing videos and see that with proper technique one can slide while still maintaining control. Crossing over a divided traffic line is way more dangerous then learning to stay in your lane. Granted there will be objects in your lane you will have not a choice but to avoid, but small stuff you can learn to ride through.

One of the things they don't teach you to handle at MSF class are wet painted lines and steel covers on the road. If you been riding for a while you will hit one of these conditions and need to learn control. They can be slick as glass if you have a lean going when you encounter them. If you don't know how to handle a small front and/or rear wheel slide you are going to hit the ground for sure.

Although I have been riding a motorcycle on the road for 36 years I do need to keep my skills up. Fortunately, I enjoy dual sport riding as well and get to practice my sliding skills in the woods. Makes me a better street riding when conditions arise like you experienced.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Nice recovery! You handled your mistake very well....I know many people that would have laid their bike down in the grass. It shows that you have quick reflexes. It is easy to fear the corner and ride off instead of leaning and taking the curve. Learn to have confidence in yourself, your riding ability, and your bike.

Delnari is right....train tracks can be super slippery too. I watched a Gixxer 600 lay down his bike in downtown toronto on wet streetcar tracks...and he was not even turning, just changing lanes across the tracks that were running the same way as his direction.

Take your corners at speeds that you feel comfortable with, and learn to take them just a bit faster as you gain more confidence. When riding in a group, sometimes you feel the pressure to go as fast as more experienced riders, or to show them that you can "ride like the wind". Remember that having humility and riding within your ability is way cheaper than replacing fairings and bike parts, or your life!

I am very glad there was no traffic coming in the opposite direction for you.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Practice is all you can do, just make a better decision next time. I'd choose a little gravel in the road over emergency braking across a lane of traffic and into a grass ditch/ any day.

Delnari: my MSF course actually had a manhole cover in the middle of it, right where we do the long sweeping turn exercise :p

·
Registered
344 Posts
Why I Dual Sport Ride

This video gives you the reasons why motorcyclist who really love riding do this type of riding. Enjoy!

·
Banned
613 Posts
Don't focus on it. That's probably the worst SR's of them all.

Notice the hazard, adjust your path while looking beyond the hazard. As soon as you focus on it your either A going to go straight towards it or B not pay attention to where your going and end up as you did.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Practice is all you can do, just make a better decision next time. I'd choose a little gravel in the road over emergency braking across a lane of traffic and into a grass ditch/ any day.

Delnari: my MSF course actually had a manhole cover in the middle of it, right where we do the long sweeping turn exercise :p
Interesting, did they explain how when they are wet they become slippery as snot?

·
Registered
147 Posts
You can safely slide just a bit in the debris using proper braking/throttle/steering control. Just watch a few motor cross and GP track racing videos and see that with proper technique one can slide while still maintaining control. Crossing over a divided traffic line is way more dangerous then learning to stay in your lane. Granted there will be objects in your lane you will have not a choice but to avoid, but small stuff you can learn to ride through.
Delnari, can you help out a little more, would you be able to summarise what the proper technique actually is? In other words, if the back wheel starts sliding what do you do? If the front wheel starts sliding what do you do?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Interesting, did they explain how when they are wet they become slippery as snot?
Yes, we went over this and how painted lines can be just as dangerous.
I went to the practice course today to work on my lean angle and I forgot about the big metal plates they have there too, not sure what they're covering but one of them tilts a little when you go over it, just enough to make a scary noise, haha.
Never saw anyone slip on them, good practice I think to have them in there though unintentional.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys think I might just take it a bit slower until I'm certain I'm not gonna freak out again and veer suddenly off the road.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts