Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While researching NJ state laws on motorcycle passengers, I came across the following link, which I thought others could find as useful. It includes information on acoustical sound restrictions, helmet speakers, passengers, etc. I often see people posting questions on whether or not a particular slip on or exhaust system would comply with noise laws, so I gather this is information some may find helpful.

The link is from the website for the American Motorcyclists Association.

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/Rights/State-Laws.aspx

PS
Turns out there aren't any state laws in NJ restricting acoustical sound! :D :cool:

·
Registered
958 Posts
One thing to be aware of with these laws is that laws work two ways. Unfortunately for us, if a state has no law regarding decibel levels of bikes, then cops can use that to THEIR advantage, not yours. They only have to think you were too loud. The ticket will stick too. When I lived in Montana, they had speed limits..but if you sped in a rural area like an interstate, they might stop you and fine you $5, no points. I never got a speeding ticket under that system. Then, about 1995, they changed that to NO SPEED LIMIT. Cool, huh? NO! Even though there was no speed limits, the law said you should drive at a reasonable and prudent speed. Problem is, that turns out to be what a cop thinks is reasonable and prudent, not what you think. Cops were handing out speeding tickets right and left, and these weren't $5 tickets either. This hits close to home too. I ride electric bicycles. Some states have no laws regarding electric bikes. Problem there again is that doesn't mean you can ride an electric bike with no license at any speed. What it means is the state can decide you aren't on a bicycle, but a motorcycle and fine you for not having it properly registered, speeding, etc.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Yeah, florida is the same with the electric scooter thing.... alot of young folks are riding them in the rural neighborhoods and the state troopers are always on them about not having a liscense because it is a "motorized" vehicle. Its a loose law....anything with a motor? no...because even a 49cc gas powered bicycle can get away with not having a liscense, because it has pedals. I did find out that my son was getting hassled on his electric scooter because it had a seat....so we took it off, after that the local and state police didn't stop him anymore, I also told him if he seen an officer to pretend he was using his foot to push the scooter, why give them a reason.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Regarding Florida, the state law is very clear: a motorcycle is defined as a motor vehicle powered by a motor with a displacement of more than 50 cubic centimeters, having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider, and designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground, but excluding a tractor or moped. A motorized scooter has a different set of rules/definitions (vehicle not having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider, designed to travel on not more than three wheels, and not capable of propelling the vehicle at a speed greater than 30 miles per hour on level ground).

Every state has different rules/laws. That's the beauty (and, complexity) of a true federal, republican system: every state is sovereign and responsible to enact and enforce its own laws. And, as citizens, it is our responsibility to understand and follow the law. Remember, driving is not a right; it is a privilege.

Now, having said all that, if the police (local, county or state) is hassling a citizen that is legally exercising his rights, it is then the individual's right and responsibility to stand up for what is right. As the old adage goes, exercise your rights, or lose them. Just don't be an unnecessary prick to your police. Be firm, but polite. Most of them already have a tough, stressful job.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I'm perfectly fine with the reasonable and prudent language. Here in AZ the law is written with a posted speed limit, which can fall secondary to a requirement to always be driving at a speed that is reasonable and prudent. Just because it says you can do a certain speed doesn't mean that it's always safe to do so.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Yup Bodi, thats why I removed the seat...and they stopped bothering him, his buds did the same, no problem. But some of those motorized bikes that have the chinese 49cc motors on them will excede 30mph on a flat surface, and the locals don't bother them....
Funny thing is my son is grown and gone but now they have a group of young guys in the neighborhood out where we used to live that ride thier scooters in large groups of 10 or more kids...lol, like a bike club.... I rode by them the other day and gave them the dueces down sign, they loved it!

·
Registered
958 Posts
So CrisCusi, you trust cops? Not me. Well, some cops, but not most. I would rather have a law in black and white. Those you can fight. Plus you know the rules. We do have e-bike laws in TX. It's no faster than 20 mph (unassisted) and no more than 36 volts, 750 watts which is just a repeat of the Fed. guidelines. Those require no license or registration and are considered bicycles. I have considerably more power than that, but it's not like there is anything written on the hub motor or controller. Speed though, I have to watch, which I do.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
soooo technically i guess my bike is louder than legally allowed haha. guess that's why it says 'for track use only' when you order it.

oh well

1 - 9 of 9 Posts