Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hey guys, well it broke my heart, but I sold the 300 this week, I didn't even plan to, I just posted it for $3800 and said price firm and in a few days got tons of replies. It had a full yosh and area p tuner, but did have a drop on it and I repainted the fairings matte black. The guy who bought it got it for his wife and in the end I think I got a fair deal and he was hAppy. It only had 4000 miles plus my first 300 that gives me just under ten thousand miles of 300 memories I will never forget.

So to the point, I've been working like crazy the last year and after selling the bike, managed to save about fifteen grand up. I'm a little scared to spend all that cash but the 636 is and always has been my dream bike. I believe if I buy it I will ride it until it or I or both die. So my question is I have 3 options. Dealer number one has a 2016 krt model with abs for 13,300 otd. I'm thinking if I offer thirteen in cash I can get it. Now dealer number 2 has a 2015 for 11800 out the door but no abs and I'm pretty set on green color and absolutely, so that's probably out. Now here's the big question.... Dealer one also has a brand new 2013 green with abs that's been sitting in their warehouse for 4 years, assembled but never ridden and the only reason I heard is bc I specifically asked about leftovers. It kind of got lost in their inventory so to speak. They couldn't give me a otd price as the manager wasn't there but assured me they're make me a deal I can't refuse.

Now I wanted to ask you guys, were there any big changes made on the bike from 2013 until now? I don't believe so but I'm not sure. Also is there any danger that having the bike sit for so long poses? Obviously there's no gas or oil in it, and lastly, what would you offer? I'm thinking if I can get ten grand out the door ill do it. More or less? Msrp is 12699 but it's 4 years old. Thanks for any and all help guys.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
There have been no changes since this generation came out in 13.

If the gas tank had been drained, I'd go for the 13 and get a good price on it. Stick a snakescope in the gas tank and check for rust.

How much do you weigh? If you want to do any type of performance riding, plan on getting new springs. Seems like the current ZX6R has been set up for comfort rather than performance.

·
Registered
161 Posts
2013, and spend the extra on mods or gear. If you're not already wearing leather, it's the perfect opportunity to get some.

Following Zaph's comment, perhaps mention you'd like a mechanic to check out the bike just to make sure there's no rust or anything?

·
Registered
40 Posts
old stock could be a great deal, but i suggest haggling heavily on the fact that all the rubber (hoses, tyres, seals etc) may need looking at soon- even though its not seen the road, something to consider. get them ro replace all fluids and repack every bearing. then get 4 or 5 grand knocked off.
fwiw

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a lot guys. Any idea what you would offer? 8 grand maybe since they'll counter? In out of my element as I don't usually haggle

·
Registered
425 Posts
KBB says $7460 when purchased retail from a dealership. With tax that could be around $8000. Kawasaki shows $360 "destination charge." Not sure how that would apply.

·
Registered
173 Posts
FWIW I bought a 2014 ZX10R that was never assembled less than 2 weeks ago, sale price was $9899 from MSRP of $15,299.

I'd expect them to offer you the bike for something like $7500. You can buy a brand new 2015 at some dealers right now for $8999.

·
Registered
417 Posts
8k on the 13 is a strong offer to begin with, i'd start there as well, these dealers hate having older years around as some people would speculate/be paranoid and wonder why that has been sitting around for a while when "last year's inventory clearance!" is relentlessly used to boost sales.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Nobody ever talks finances on here, but be smart with your money. Go 2013, it's the same bike as the 2016. If you need better gear go grab some, but don't blow all your money on the bike. Keep a little extra in case of any emergencies (like a wreck). It's always good to have extra cash on hand just in case.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I just bought a brand new 15 636 for 10,300 otd non abs In cali just to give u an idea.
Wow, if I spent that much on a bike, it would be just for staring at in my garage! Maybe an occasional showing in front of the house on a clear day. haha

·
Registered
151 Posts
In 2011 I bought a leftover 2009 Yamaha FZ1 for $7000 OTD in CA. That bike had an MSRP of $10000. I thought that was a pretty sweet deal at the time. I, too, was concerned about it sitting for so long. But the only mechanical problem I had in 3 years of ownership (sticky clutch plates) was probably my fault (used weird motor oil) and was covered by warranty, anyway. They're selling it to you with a full 1 year new bike warranty, right?

The '13 636 ABS had an MSRP of $12,700.. 70% of that is $8900. I don't think you should have to pay more than that. Especially since its not 3 but 4 years old, and I assume your sales tax is lower. It will certainly take some negotiating, though.

That's still a chunk of change. Did you check the used market? Maybe be able to find the same thing with a few miles on it for a lot less.

·
Registered
425 Posts
The '13 636 ABS had an MSRP of $12,700.. 70% of that is $8900. I don't think you should have to pay more than that.
How did you come up with 70%?

I was looking at used bikes on Craigslist and the thought crossed my mind; what if I just went straight from a 300 to a 1000?? Somewhere I heard that there is less demand for higher displacement sporty bikes. So I figured, better deals. (?)

·
Registered
425 Posts
nah you cant just let it live in the garage!!!!!!!!!! go out and ride it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah, eventually I'd have to take it out and break it. hehe

For me personally, getting a used or discounted bike in the displacement that I want to stay with before getting a brand new one would keep me comfortable.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I would definitely get a 2013 ABS for good deal and use the money saved to get a Yoshi exhaust.

Yoshimura Japan R11

94 [email protected],000rpm for slip-on
http://shop.yoshimura-jp.com/en/product/syousai.php?id=15539

[email protected],000rpm decibels for full exhaust
[email protected],000rpm decibels for race spec
http://shop.yoshimura-jp.com/en/product/syousai.php?id=15775

Yoshimura USA RS-4

http://www.yoshimura-rd.com/product/kawasaki-zx6r-exhaust-system-146412d520.asp

Yoshimura USA R77

http://www.yoshimura-rd.com/product/kawasaki-zx6r-exhaust-system-1464120520.asp

1 - 20 of 22 Posts