Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
While I love my 300 ABS, I'm always looking on the horizon for my next bike (possibly in a year or 2).

The 300 was my first bike, and an excellent one at that. But it never really scared me (any more than just riding a bike for the first time does lol).

For my next bike I really feel that I need one with both ABS and ideally traction control to limit tire slip and accidental wheelies.

To my understanding this precludes me from the Honda (I know the cbr600rr has it as an option, but I don't like the color options) and Yamaha SS models, and the BMW bikes (since the 1000rr is too quick for me still).

Also, I'm squarely looking at full fairing sport bikes, as naked bikes or cruisers just don't excite me much.

This puts me between a zx6r ABS and a 650 ABS.

It seems like a no brainer to go for the zx6r, but with the decent 0-60 times I'm seeing on the 650 (in the neighborhood of 4 seconds!) , it looks like it should be quick enough to properly put some fear into me.

Not to mention the $4000 price delta between the two, what do you guys think?

Should I look at another manufacturer? Maybe consider a 1000cc / liter bike (though I feel that's overkill for my needs)?

·
Premium Member
12,370 Posts
you know that a motorcycle is only as fast as the distance you wind the throttle round dont you. buy what you feel comfortable riding and can afford and had good availability of spares/service centres if you ride out of town and a good selection of after-market accessories to customise your ride with.
when you have answered these questions, then you can decide what bike is best for you

·
Registered
80 Posts
I would say in my opinion a 1000cc bike is completely insane. I rode my friends r1 just around the block, just outa curiousity, and its insane. I didn't even go fast but I felt as if I was riding a missile. I tapped my wrist to see how much power the was and it was an instant powerfull jerk followed by me thinking..."god I never want to own this". But to each his own. I think you should get a 600 or 650. IF YOU ARE 100 PERCENT SURE YOUR READY. Those bikes are full on track beasts that are street legal. But if you make sure you have the skill sets you should be fine. Also if you wanna "upgrade" to a 1000 later fine. Just remember 99% of people will never ride a 600 to its max. Not trying to scare you but just want to warn a 600even is a serious bike. Stay safe man

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
If you have good throttle control for street riding, you wouldn't need traction control to stop accidental wheelies.
Traction control is a nice feature for those who are riding the bikes Hard, but if you want it because you think you can't properly control the throttle, then you may wanna stick with the 300. The bigger bike, the less forgiving, and electronics cannot save inexperience.

A bike isn't meant to "scare" you. If a bike scares you, you are bound to go down. My dad has said this to me and my two sisters growing up .. just so happens the bike my older sister rode, she was "scared" of. Guess what happened? She crashed.

You should respect the power, and understand the power, but if you fear the power ... you shouldn't be riding it.

A liter bike is definitely overkill for you, sounds like a ZX6R is overkill for you too ... but ... having owned a ZX6R, I don't see the issues with it. But then again, I never broke the rear tire loose or accidentally wheelied, so, I can't help you.

Just remember 99% of people will never ride a 600 to its max.
...And I'm pretty sure 97% of 300 owners will never ride it to its max either - Which the OP definitely doesn't fall into the 3%.

Reactions: pastry

·
Registered
167 Posts
Moving up in cubic disp. / power

Have been riding for 50 years now and recently got back into riding all-the-time (widower). Getting back into the sport/hobby I bought a 300 in mid-Dec., which just re-ignited my passion so I bought a left-over 2012 ninja 650. In the past I have owned a bunch of 600's / 650's, even a couple 1,000 cc machines. The weird thing about motorcycles is that a 12-second CAR feels really fast, yet a motorcycle always leaves us looking for more. The new 600's are faster than any litre-sized machine was 20 years or so ago. Unless you weigh 300 lbs. you don't need a bigger bike to be "scary" fast. For me now, and at my 60+ years, my 650 ninja is fast enough for me, with the "300" being adequate for everyday use.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Unintended wheelies sounds oddly like someone who doesn't know how a clutch works. Lots of throttle to avoid stalling and just dumping the clutch. I really dont think traction control is going to aid this any.

Here is your exercise for the next time you ride: Try to move the bike without using the throttle at all. SLOWLY release the clutch until the bike moves. Do this a number of times while observing the friction zone - it's the range at which the clutch is engaging and starts to transfer power to the wheel. Now combine this newly found skill with light throttle and be amazed at smoother launches. Practice this every time you set off!

·
Registered
215 Posts
I think some of you readers might be confused. No where in the question does he say that he is making the 300 do a wheelie, all he is saying is that he is scared that on a 600 or 650 CC bike that a wheelie could happen. I am not saying that this individual should be riding a 600 or a 650 but I don't think anyone can really get the 300 to do a wheelie without some crazy mods.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Lifting the front tire off the ground and doing a wheelie is quite different. Also, doesen't that prove his point even more? You accidently did it while learning how to ride an unfamliar bike, imagine if you did that with a 600CC or a 650CC bike, you most likely wouldn't of been doing it for a laugh anymore.

·
Banned
562 Posts
i recommend the 650r i have a 300 and a 650 i use the 650 for 2 up riding and prolonged highway the 300 for everything else. the 650 is less than one second diff zero to 60 due to monstrous torque
can easily be a daily rider is much more comfy and more controllable.
i lust for a 636 as well but the 650 is much more practical at my skill level and will be a perm part of the stable.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I think some of you readers might be confused. No where in the question does he say that he is making the 300 do a wheelie, all he is saying is that he is scared that on a 600 or 650 CC bike that a wheelie could happen. I am not saying that this individual should be riding a 600 or a 650 but I don't think anyone can really get the 300 to do a wheelie without some crazy mods.
I'm not confused, If he's scared he might accidentally wheelie a 600+CC bike I expect he doesn't fully understand how it works. Traction Control does not entirely prevent wheelies either.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I'm not confused, If he's scared he might accidentally wheelie a 600+CC bike I expect he doesn't fully understand how it works. Traction Control does not entirely prevent wheelies either.

There were a few comments, not sure if you were one of them talking about him wheeling his 300. I was just stating that in his question he never said he accidently wheelied the 300.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Lifting the front tire off the ground and doing a wheelie is quite different. Also, doesen't that prove his point even more? You accidently did it while learning how to ride an unfamliar bike, imagine if you did that with a 600CC or a 650CC bike, you most likely wouldn't of been doing it for a laugh anymore.

Yes I understand where you are coming from however the 300 is my first bike ever. I did a mini little wheel lift thingy 2 weeks into my life as a rider.

Now I will say I was never considering buying a big bike from the get go. I was always looking at a 250 ninja and then the 300 was released and I fell in love.

When time comes for me to move up I will. Having said that when I do get a bigger bike I will have learnt a substantial amount more about clutch control, cornering, braking, traffic, road conditions, the list goes on. All whilst respecting the fact there is a bigger machine in between my legs and I will take it easy with the larger bike until I am more comfortable

So in short no I won't be accidently doing a mini wheelie thing on a bigger bike as I would have gained more experience. A purposeful wheelie maybe. Depending on of course how good I actually get at this wonderful thing I have discovered which is motorcycling

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
958 Posts
I think that perhaps your getting a little ahead of yourself. You've been riding the 300 for maybe 3 months, and you want to know what you will want in a year or 2. I think that with another year or more of riding you will be able to figure this out on your own. By that time you will know if you want to go in the direction of the ZX family, super aggressive canyon and track riding bike or do want the slightly less aggressive and more comfort of the Ninja 650 for urban and touring? I've been riding for 3 1/2 months now, and my opinions have changed in that time, because I've been riding and I'm learning what I like. So go out and ride, then you'll see what you like and the decision of which bike to get will be made easy. And as far as brand, I'm very happy with my Kawasaki, and I don't see any reason why my next bike won't be another Kawasaki. :D

·
Registered
260 Posts
Absolutely agree wetwork

The Daytona as I said is the dream bike.

But I am constantly looking an seeing what's out there. Picturing myself on different machines wondering how they would feel or how I will feel about them in time to come. I'm always open for change. I'll get what I feel is right for me when the time comes.

Yeah it's been about three and a half months for me also and I've clocked up 6600kms. I guess I really made a great decision getting my license. :-D

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.