Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put my 300 on non-op last month. Riding only for a little over 3 years. Time for a new bike. Choices are between 959 Panigale/SuperSport S or Ninja ZX-6R. As much as Ducati has a nice ring to it. I would feel it would be more about showing off than enjoying the ride. Which is not my objective. I was very comfortable with my 300 and know Kawi to be reliable. I have heard insurance and parts on Ducatis are egregious. From YouTube videos it seems people seem to have better things to say about there ZX-6R's. I just don't want to be that one asshole dumping his Ducati. :crying:

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
848 Posts
V-Twin for a supersport? Nah...

There's a reason why Honda does not produce RC51 anymore and Ducati is switching to V4 for Panigale.

·
Super Moderator
2,622 Posts
Parts, maintenance costs, and insurance on the Panigale are going to be higher. At least Ducati's have longer gaps between required maintenance now - my god, it was ridiculous with the older models.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I own a Ducati monster. It really is more expensive and higher maintenance. I've had to replace parts that wouldn't have failed so soon on a Japanese bike. If you're not prepared for that expense, then stay with Japanese bikes.

The one good thing is the valve service has been extended to 18k miles, but it's over a grand to have done in my area.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I like the Supersport S, but I just sold my ZX10R because 1000cc isn't really practical on the street, or at least it's ridiculous if you're trying to actually get the use out of it.

My preference is for naked bikes, I'd suggest taking a look at the Z800 or Z900 too, along with your current choices.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
The Supersport S felt light to me, not like a heavy liter bike; it would make a decent city commuter to me, added expenses aside. The Z800 and bigger feel heavy when holding them up, which makes for a bad stop and go commuter. They felt heavier than the Duc SS and even my Monster 1100. I personally liked the feel of the Z650, though.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
The ZX-6R is a great bike that's very reliable with a lot of examples out there. I will warn you though that compared to the 300, it will be fairly uncomfortable as its rider triangle is much more committed than the 300 with the saddle being a bit taller. It may feel okay at the dealership or even on short rides but when you start extending to longer than 40 minutes or so, you'll start to really feel it a lot more when poking around on the street. In the twisty stuff or on the track it's not as bad because you're constantly moving your body so you don't get stuck in a single body position for a long period of time causing cramping and fatigue. I just traded the R1 in because it was doing a number on the knees and lower back and neck and the old gen R1s have more rider room than the ZX-6R does. Modern super sports feel VERY compact and short which can leaver a rider feeling even more hunched over and cramped.

As Vulgr said though, if you can get on some bikes during a demo day, test ride them to get a feel for them.

·
Registered
173 Posts
The Supersport S felt light to me, not like a heavy liter bike; it would make a decent city commuter to me, added expenses aside. The Z800 and bigger feel heavy when holding them up, which makes for a bad stop and go commuter. They felt heavier than the Duc SS and even my Monster 1100. I personally liked the feel of the Z650, though.
That's ironic about the Supersport S, since it outweighs a ZX10R by about 25lbs, but it could be the way the weight is distributed that makes it feel lighter. I shouldn't have recommended the Z800, I forgot that that's a 509lb pig, but the Z900 is right in line with the weight of the Supersport S. The Z800 is definitely a strange thing, no idea why they had to make it so heavy, especially considering the Z900 is 50lbs lighter.

If you're looking at the Z650, I'd say take a look at the FZ07 too. The Z650 is a great bike I'm sure, but the FZ07 has a bigger, better sounding motor, although the FZ suspension is definitely soft and squishy. I've not ridden a Z650 so I can't compare, but I took one test ride on the FZ07 and I loved it.

·
Registered
743 Posts
You need a shiny new Street Triple 765, 400 lbs wet and 120 whp, but I might be biased ... :whistling1smilie:

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Well if we're throwing in shameless plugs for unasked for suggestions on super naked then I'd throw in the FZ-10 as well. I love mine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts