Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Just picked up this 2017 Ninja 300 ABS Winter Test Edition with 350 miles on it and some mods were made by the previous owner. I’m new to motorcycles so was hoping to get some help if anyone can offer some insight.

When I bought this bike, it came with a small bucket of stuff. I can’t figure out what this rectangular item that I’m holding is...

Not sure if this is related or helpful but original owner did say that when he changed the muffler to an after-market exhaust, he installed something that prevented the muffler from all those random “pops” and “back fires” you’d hear when riding.

Any help would be great. Thank you.

·
Registered
407 Posts
The thing was in the bucket? Or you took it out of the bike?
Is the bike a California model? Cali models have some stuff for emissions control, a canister, but don't know the details.

To avoid the popping, he may have done the PAIR system delete. And maybe installed a Power Commander or Bazzaz fuel system to tune the bike for the new exhaust system.

Have you asked the seller?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks again for the reply and help.

The bike was owned by a girl who was going to learn on it. The bike was modified by her boyfriend. They broke up (therefore I can’t speak to him) and she never rode it but some mods were already made.

When the bike was modified, he put the extras that he pulled from the bike into a box. She gave me the box and I found that part in the box.

Yes, you're right - I live in CA so what you’re saying makes total sense.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Yes, it looks like the canister, part of the Fuel Evaporative System for Cali models.

Check this diagram: (It's part 16164 in the diagram)

The canister shouldn't do anything for the popping. I think it's there to filter the gas that evaporates before it reaches the atmosphere.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Damn man, thank you so much for the replies and thoroughness. Really appreciate it.

what’s your guess as to why it was changed out?

·
Registered
407 Posts
LOL I don't know. I guess it's just paranoia about having a lighter bike or more power (not in this case though).

·
Registered
535 Posts
Wow, looks like I was COMPLETELY wrong then, as I thought it was a Flux Capacitor.
:unsure:

BTW, NICE BIKE! (written by owner of a 2017 Ninja 300, Winter Test Edition 👍 )

1 - 7 of 7 Posts