Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i finally got around to making a small video about my BMW power socket i have fitted to my ninja 300.i usually make them myself but for the price i couldn’t go past the one i acquired

www.towzatronics.co.uk/self-fit-kits

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im sure i explained that in the video. maybe not, but i can connect a battery charger to it that is fully automatic if i wish without pulling the bike to bits, but main thing is so i can put my bag on the back of the bike and charge up a phone or laptop or anything else that runs on 12 volts and charge them while riding, comes in handy when touring , i learnt this many, many years ago, you can also use it as backup power for a small led light when camping. some years ago when i rode my vfr800 round australia i did this. i would camp in a caravan park in my tent and rather then wake the universe up with the headlights i could power my led lamp off the bike battery. worked a treat as i could park my bike right next to me & setup camp for the night in the caravan park. great fun

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i also have a small container i have that i carry spare fuses in for the bike as well as the airhorn & the bmw power socket. unfortunately the small tin i carry them in is just a little bit too big to fit under the seat, so i carry it in the backpack i attach to the ventura rack, i never leave home on my bike without my backpack i have all sorts of goodies in it, including a "leatherman charge" and a small 4 inch shifter/adjustable spanner, and a small socket tool lit i bought from dick smith electronics over 15 years ago

i just went looking for the kit i have at dse.com.au and cant find it, i payed about $20 for it, its in a small plastic case with about 8-10 small metric sockets plus a few screw driver attachments in it.

with all the small tools i have i could just about disassemble and reassemble any bike on the road side, lol

·
Registered
655 Posts
Sounds the smart thing to do if you go long distance I'm just getting my head around the bike mechanically for that very reason.

Never serviced any of my bikes myself..all about to change though.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
id rather work on a bike then a car anyday. much easier to work on and so much cheaper to get parts for.
just need some decent tools to start with and your good to go

·
Registered
707 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
this one will work, but be aware it is a cigarette socket. im not really keen on them at all for anything other then their intended purpose of igniting a cigarette lighter.

i much prefer a bmw/hella power socket as they are designed for high current/amp situations & see far too many cigarette sockets melt

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks cruizin. I've always been one to tinker with cars and have very little knowledge about motorcycles. I have never seen a Hella/BMW plug. Just did a quick search and it is worlds better than the standard cigarette lighter plug. I have seen so many that the wiring is burned up on from being used in conjunction with power inverters.

This will be at the top of my list as I prepare the bike and learn to ride. The spare parts are a must and I don't know anyone who carries spares in case of emergency.

Thanks for the tip.

Greg

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks cruizin. I've always been one to tinker with cars and have very little knowledge about motorcycles. I have never seen a Hella/BMW plug. Just did a quick search and it is worlds better than the standard cigarette lighter plug. I have seen so many that the wiring is burned up on from being used in conjunction with power inverters.

This will be at the top of my list as I prepare the bike and learn to ride. The spare parts are a must and I don't know anyone who carries spares in case of emergency.

Thanks for the tip.

Greg

Greg, no worries, as you have seen for yourself, the standard cigarette lighter is great for its intended purpose and not much of anything else. im glad you too heed of my advise, it will save you some heart ache later down the track:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts