Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
@cadd I was out walking my dog and saw some uneven pavement which I will have to deal with on my ride today. It made me think of this thread. I take a right onto this road and then a left at the next intersection. Getting over this uneven pavement should be fun. It looks pretty damn high though. Unfortunately the uneven pavement stretches very far in both directions so I can't avoid it. I hope my next post isn't about going down lol.

·
Registered
664 Posts
@howlinhoss That looks like the perfect excuse for a 50+ mile detour to avoid such a dangerous situation. :wink2: Best of luck with this hazard. >:) Let us know how things turn out :emot-pray: or at least get us some video. :suspense.001:

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I have one just like that right now. It's also a local road where the speed limit is 35mph. With the speeds that "low", I am not hesitant about crossing it. It's just for some reason, that freeway incident in the OP got me spooked out because of the higher speeds.

I feel like it's more of a mental thing for me as I went down on a bicycle as a kid trying to hop onto a curb....but not at a steep enough angle. The rear tire started to "grind" the curb, I freaked out and hit the brakes and I went down.

Yet, I have no issues with going 65mph on the shoulder of a milled road with tons of gravel (that hasn't been paved yet). I don't know....I just got mental problems.

>:)

·
Registered
43 Posts
You did what I would have done. If you don't feel comfortable about the uneven pavement and are unable to get a decent angle to ride over it, then exit and get back on further down. I don't think you should concern yourself about "manning up," but rather staying upright. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I have one just like that right now. It's also a local road where the speed limit is 35mph. With the speeds that "low", I am not hesitant about crossing it. It's just for some reason, that freeway incident in the OP got me spooked out because of the higher speeds.

I feel like it's more of a mental thing for me as I went down on a bicycle as a kid trying to hop onto a curb....but not at a steep enough angle. The rear tire started to "grind" the curb, I freaked out and hit the brakes and I went down.

Yet, I have no issues with going 65mph on the shoulder of a milled road with tons of gravel (that hasn't been paved yet). I don't know....I just got mental problems.

>:)
I know what you mean dude. I had something similar happen while I was on my bicycle. I was going around a corner kinda fast and forgot about the sand/gravel I saw earlier in the day. I had to stand the bike up to avoid the fall, unfortunately there was a car coming from the other direction. It ended badly for me. When I finally got back on the bike I was pretty skittish in corners. I eventually got over it and now I do trackdays on a motorcycle. What you're experiencing is basically a mild form of PTSD. Your 'mental problems' are pretty normal.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I was going on the highway towards Edison and they had an area with uneven pavement on the left lane and there was a sign for the left lane that said motorcyclists stay in lane. Getting close to it I was a bit scared to actually change lanes onto it because it looked like it was about an inch taller than the rest of the road.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Michael, how fast were you going? Maybe it's a speed perception thing. If I'm going under 35-40mph, I do not hesitate. But at interstate speeds, I freak out.

For me, Maybe it's just the thought of sliding on asphalt at 70mph vs 35mph? Then getting ran over by an 18 wheeler that's doing 65mph who don't have enough room to stop in time.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts