Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
i felt like chiming in on this old thread and adding my .02$
the "turbo lag" is non-existant. it'd be "spooled" on the ninja 300 by 4000rpm, making about 4psi. by 7000 it'd be making about 10psi.
i have the turbo on my yamaha riva 125 and it makes 4psi at 7000rpm on a 125cc engine. it has a CVT, so for me there is no lag. twist,boost,go.
im getting a ninja400 and i'll be applying this same turbo to it. spool-up will be aroud 6psi at 3600,and will hold 6psi upto the 12000rpm redline. the turbo can flow ALOT of air, but doesnt need much to start boosting.
it will make much more boost on a 2cyl engine even if its smaller than 1, (390 vs 300) this is due to the exhaust pulses.
if you want more power out of your engine and your considering forced induction but are afraid of damaging anything else in the drivetrain, 2-4psi is perfectly safe. i run 6 max on my 10:1 riva and its from 88 and the only mods it has would be a new k&n air filter. everything internal is stock.

on the 300 i wouldnt run over 6psi if i wanted it to be reliable for years to come. for all-out racing 10psi would last for a few hours....assuming you have the fuel to match.
the key parts with any turbo build is pulling timing, running rich,keeping it cool (both coolant,and intake air+fuel),and not lugging the engine.
(doing a 6th gear pull from 3400rpm)
turbo's are pretty hard on an engine and doing a top-gear pull and getting into boost gives the engine alot of shock,though with low boost numbers (2-4) its not much of a concern.

your biggest power gain in going forced induction is that first 1psi,that will take you from your 85-95% VE your high perf motorcycle engine has to over 100%,and thats where the majority of the additional power comes from.
a turbo at 2psi will give you more power than a supercharger at 2psi.

sorry, im a engine builder mostly on big block chevy's and diesels but ive been known to dally in the small engine world...just had to give some information.

i hope to pick up my ninja 400 early next year maybe even late this year.
the stand-alone turbo can be had for 350$ (ecotrons vz21, its a really high quality clone of the rhb31 and its what i swear by for 125-700cc engines...i had two on my last 2cyl "garden tractor" that i drag raced...good turbo's made by good people!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Decided to resurrect myself from the dead on this forum for this thread....

I'm going to assume this is your first bike so let me throw my two cents in; The Ninja is a great bike to start out with and hone your skills as a rider so that you don't make major mistakes on more powerful machines you're not ready to ride on. It wasn't engineered to be fast, so don't try to make it fast. Don't waste your money on a turbo. It's not worth the money for multiple reasons;

1st, you're going to end up wanting to upgrade your bike anyway.

2nd, If you're going to up the power of the bike by 100%, you better be ready to invest in everything else (tires, brakes, brake lines, etc). You need a way to control that extra power and this is going to cost you even more money

3rd, There's a reason manufacturers stopped turbo charging smaller bikes back in the day (in fact forever until the H2 came out, but the 300 is not an H2)

4th, you're going to end up wanting to upgrade your bike anyway.

This will bite you hard in the end if you're not willing to spend all the money to do this right. Save that money, learn to ride the shit out of your bike, and then use that money you were going to blow on a turbo as a down payment for a new, bigger, bike (or for a used one).
i am on on 4 bike now, after number 2 i was sure i wanted something like rc390 or ninja 400 but with more power.
i have 220 hp at the wheel now and 0-100 km/h under 2.6 sek.
1. im pretty sure i know what i want, besides its going to be one of my bike not the bike.
2. i will save 2200$ a year in incurens if i use it as my "daily" bike, i spend around 10 000$+ a year on riding, soo it cant be more expensive.
3. please enlighten me
4. maby but the i just switch bikes in my garage and bam i got a range from 40-250hp

·
Registered
1 Posts
i felt like chiming in on this old thread and adding my .02$
the "turbo lag" is non-existant. it'd be "spooled" on the ninja 300 by 4000rpm, making about 4psi. by 7000 it'd be making about 10psi.
i have the turbo on my yamaha riva 125 and it makes 4psi at 7000rpm on a 125cc engine. it has a CVT, so for me there is no lag. twist,boost,go.
im getting a ninja400 and i'll be applying this same turbo to it. spool-up will be aroud 6psi at 3600,and will hold 6psi upto the 12000rpm redline. the turbo can flow ALOT of air, but doesnt need much to start boosting.
it will make much more boost on a 2cyl engine even if its smaller than 1, (390 vs 300) this is due to the exhaust pulses.
if you want more power out of your engine and your considering forced induction but are afraid of damaging anything else in the drivetrain, 2-4psi is perfectly safe. i run 6 max on my 10:1 riva and its from 88 and the only mods it has would be a new k&n air filter. everything internal is stock.

on the 300 i wouldnt run over 6psi if i wanted it to be reliable for years to come. for all-out racing 10psi would last for a few hours....assuming you have the fuel to match.
the key parts with any turbo build is pulling timing, running rich,keeping it cool (both coolant,and intake air+fuel),and not lugging the engine.
(doing a 6th gear pull from 3400rpm)
turbo's are pretty hard on an engine and doing a top-gear pull and getting into boost gives the engine alot of shock,though with low boost numbers (2-4) its not much of a concern.

your biggest power gain in going forced induction is that first 1psi,that will take you from your 85-95% VE your high perf motorcycle engine has to over 100%,and thats where the majority of the additional power comes from.
a turbo at 2psi will give you more power than a supercharger at 2psi.

sorry, im a engine builder mostly on big block chevy's and diesels but ive been known to dally in the small engine world...just had to give some information.

i hope to pick up my ninja 400 early next year maybe even late this year.
the stand-alone turbo can be had for 350$ (ecotrons vz21, its a really high quality clone of the rhb31 and its what i swear by for 125-700cc engines...i had two on my last 2cyl "garden tractor" that i drag raced...good turbo's made by good people!
Hello Sir,
Did you apply the turbo on the ninja 400 yet ? how was the experience ? the power gains and the reliability of the engine, and if it is good, can you link me or tell me the details of the turbo kit and how you installed it because i am also looking to turbo my 400

·
Registered
591 Posts
Hello Sir,
Did you apply the turbo on the ninja 400 yet ? how was the experience ? the power gains and the reliability of the engine, and if it is good, can you link me or tell me the details of the turbo kit and how you installed it because i am also looking to turbo my 400
Hello, and welcome to this forum for the Ninja 300.
Although this was posted on here (2+ years ago), your question is now probably better answered in the newer Ninja 400 forum: Ninja 400 Riders Forum

21 - 24 of 24 Posts