Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am buying the bike for the purpose of getting great gas mileage to and from work. I want o get exhaust for the sound factor of other motorist, but from what i undersand its best to get a tuner also, for those that have it how is it affecting your gas mileage?

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
If you add more air and more fuel to get more power, quite simply you will not get good as good fuel mileage as before.

If you want good mileage, stick with just a slip on muffler/exhaust.

If you want good power, get a tuner, full exhaust and better air filter.

If you bought the bike for getting good gas mileage then I would just put a slip on muffler on and leave the rest. Me personally, I live 5 minutes from my work so fuel mileage wasnt an issue. :p

·
Banned
1,037 Posts
If you add more air and more fuel to get more power, quite simply you will not get good as good fuel mileage as before.

If you want good mileage, stick with just a slip on muffler/exhaust.

If you want good power, get a tuner, full exhaust and better air filter.

If you bought the bike for getting good gas mileage then I would just put a slip on muffler on and leave the rest. Me personally, I live 5 minutes from my work so fuel mileage wasnt an issue. :p
This is not true its all in the tuning and how you ride it.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
This is not true its all in the tuning and how you ride it.
All in the tuning do you want to explain what you mean? I dont get mine tuned to have slower acceleration and less torque so I have absolutely no idea what you are referring to.

Are you gonna get a tuner just so you can ride it softer just to get better fuel mileage? Ummmmmm no. If you get it tuned and you ride it hard you will use more fuel. If you ride it softer you will use less. But dare you to ride your bike softer once the tuner is in ;)

If you are buying this bike for better mileage, dont start playing with the fuel or the timing of the motor and just stick with cosmetic and slip on mods. Simple. If you dont mind about your fuel mileage as I mentioned before, tune your little heart out. Also watch your fuel consumption increase.

·
Banned
1,037 Posts
All in the tuning do you want to explain what you mean? I dont get mine tuned to have slower acceleration and less torque so I have absolutely no idea what you are referring to.

Are you gonna get a tuner just so you can ride it softer just to get better fuel mileage? Ummmmmm no. If you get it tuned and you ride it hard you will use more fuel. If you ride it softer you will use less. But dare you to ride your bike softer once the tuner is in ;)

If you are buying this bike for better mileage, dont start playing with the fuel or the timing of the motor and just stick with cosmetic and slip on mods. Simple. If you dont mind about your fuel mileage as I mentioned before, tune your little heart out. Also watch your fuel consumption increase.
a tune done correct will give you more power and use less fuel for that power. And just because you don't mod it the mod gods wont stop you getting bad mpg if you don't drive it like you want good mpg.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
a tune done correct will give you more power and use less fuel for that power.
Well I will have to go back to my books and re-learn everything I know about internal combustion engines as I seem to be mistaken. For as far as I know, you need a few things to gain more power from any engine:

1. More fuel
  2. More air
And adding both of these things will not get you better fuel mileage.

Yes admittedly if you add both of these and then drive like a muthafuckin granny, you will probably get better fuel mileage. But when you drive like a granny it wont run any better than it did with stock fuel and air thus no need to get a tuner put in......... unless you are gonna ride it hard.

homie3186; if you want good fuel mileage as you have said, stick with stock and get a slip on for the extra noise (which sounds good anyways with just a slip on). If you want the bike to go a little better then definitely get a tuner, but the tuner will have very little effect without the other parts to go with it such as full exhaust system and aftermarket air filter.Not saying it wont have any effect at all, just very little.

In answer to your original question, my bike has worse fuel mileage now I have the tuner. But that is a result of riding more, harder and higher in the rev range. So it may have the opposite effect for you, it may not. But generally in my experience through many cars and bikes, you will not get better fuel mileage with a tuner due to adding more fuel and more air for bigger combustion bangs. Its really just up to you to decide if your requirements determine that you want or need one for your bike.

That being said, I really hope you get one as it wakes up this little Ninja 300 big time. :D:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.