Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I picked up a N300 with 13k miles in late June as my first bike. When I first got the bike, the first thing I did was change the oil and flush the coolant. I was surprised to find the reservoir completely empty and the bike only about half full of coolant.

I flushed through some distilled water and then put in engine ice coolant.

At first it seemed fine but it has leaked about a full reservoir of coolant now in about 100 miles. I went in and tightened all the hose clamps as a few were loose and causing dripping in a few locations, but I still have one that you can see in the photo below that seems to be coming out the hos before the pump. Just from starting up the bike and letting it idle for 10 minutes I often get a leak.

Do you all think this is an indication that I need to change the fuel water pump? It’s a fairly steady drip every few seconds it seems.

CF69D746-FF3C-4122-923C-BFEA71F8CE63.jpeg

·
Registered
280 Posts
I think you meant to say 'water pump' instead of 'fuel pump'...and that picture is not your water pump, it's your thermostat. If you have a leak at a hose connection you typically tighten up the connection...if it continues to leak you may need to replace the hose and get a new hose clamp. Running a liquid cooled motor with very low coolant levels is not good. Find and stop the source of the leaks and make sure your coolant is full.

·
Registered
408 Posts
If your water pump is bad, the bike will overheat and the red temp light will turn on on the cluster. If all you saw is the leak, do as @iahawk said.
If you see the red temp light on while riding, turn the bike off immediately or you may burn the head gasket (big deal). Tow the bike home or shop, and solve the problem. Check the coolant level every time you ride until the problem is gone.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses guys. I have only put about 100 miles on the bike since I got it and have never had the temp light come on even when riding it about 15 miles back home after purchasing it (this is when it was somewhat low on coolant). Last thing I want to do is burn up a head gasket.

I just replaced the clamp and let the bike sit at idle for about 15 minutes while intermittently running it up to 5k rpm's. Not a single drop came out. Hopefully it was that easy of a fix, but a test ride this weekend with a topped off reservoir will confirm.

·
Registered
280 Posts
glad you found an easy fix. I was going to comment that your clamp in the pic was not factory...someone must have had a leak previously and swapped out the clamps? Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
537 Posts
.... your clamp in the pic was not factory...someone must have had a leak previously and swapped out the clamps?
That clamp may not have been the right size: if you look at it [in the posted picture], it appears to be at its tightest already; there's no more tightening possible, yet it was leaking.
Hopefully OP replaced the hose clamp with a correctly sized one, i.e. for a smaller diameter range.

It appears that was the whole problem: 'bad mechanic'!

Good for OP to change oil immediately after bringing the bike home. 👍
Hopefully this also included the oil filter.

I recommend to check out the bike thoroughly; there's likely more such shenanigans/practices going on with this bike....

·
Registered
280 Posts
good advice...along with oil/filter and coolant change you'll want fresh brake fluid (front and rear) and a clean air filter. I'd also disassemble and clean/lube both brake calipers and lube your clutch cable...of course, the chain will need a good clean and lube and possible adjustment.....and welcome to the rabbit hole of motorcycle maintenance!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts