Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my new bike a couple weeks ago have like 50 miles on it. Anyways every time I try to start it it stalls out. I push the button and give it some gas and it dies, usually takes me like 4 tries before it stays running. I have the kickstand up, in neutral, clutch and hand brake engaged, kill switch off. Is there a throttle or fuel line switch I can adjust?

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
have you checked out the battery with a volt meter?

if you can simply check it out just take it to the dealer for them to inspect, as it sounds like you have covered all your bases so it must be mechanical, or maybe just bad gas?

Oh also maybe your idle is set to low?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you waiting for the pump to finish priming before you hit the starter button?
Usually the red oil light is still on, but all other lights go out. Should I wait longer, like a minute after turning the key to on?

Don't know how to get to battery under the seat?

How do I adjust the idle?

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Turning up the idle a little should do it. You really aren't supposed to be hitting the throttle soon after starting up until the engine warms up. When cold, there's a slight RPM drop or hesitation when you lay on the throttle when cold. If you idle is a bit too low, that slight RPM slip may be enough to drop the rpms down below a sustainable level. The ECU on our bikes doesn't adjust quick enough when running in warm up mode to throttle input to make it perfectly seamless. It could be worse, if these were carbed the effect would be even more pronounced.

You should not be getting an oil pressure light once the engine is running. That could be the cause of what you are having. You need to get your bike serviced if you have the engine oil pressure light after starting the bike. If the light eventually goes off, let it idle and warm up. After warming up turn the engine off and give it a minute or two for the oil to collect then check your oil level. If you have plenty of oil in the reservoir, then you may have a pump issue which will need to get serviced and replaced.

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
The idle adjustment knob is on the left side of the bike, under the tank/fairings. It kinda hangs on a cable. Turn clockwise to raise idle.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Its a fuel injected system, you should never have to use any throttle when starting or letting it idle.
Unless you have lowered your idle to the point where it won't stay running, or there is not enough battery power to run your fuel pump.

·
Registered
958 Posts
It's a brand new bike, take it to the dealer

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
As others mentioned, your idle speed likely needs to be adjusted. See my post here: http://www.kawasakininja300.com/forum/22496-post9.html

If your idle speed is correct and the problem persists, check your battery (instructions are in the manual... as is checking your idle speed. You should read the entire manual.)

If the battery is fine, take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
As others mentioned, your idle speed likely needs to be adjusted. See my post here: http://www.kawasakininja300.com/forum/22496-post9.html

If your idle speed is correct and the problem persists, check your battery (instructions are in the manual... as is checking your idle speed. You should read the entire manual.)

If the battery is fine, take it to the dealer.
The biggest issue I saw was that he said the oil pressure light stays on after being started. That's is a bad. It should immediately go off once started.

·
Registered
993 Posts
The biggest issue I saw was that he said the oil pressure light stays on after being started. That's is a bad. It should immediately go off once started.
I think he meant when he turns the key to the "on" position, my oil light stays on also, untill it cranks over, then pressue shuts it off.
All the other lights go out except the oil light stays on....

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
I think he meant when he turns the key to the "on" position, my oil light stays on also, untill it cranks over, then pressue shuts it off.
All the other lights go out except the oil light stays on....
Ah. I thought he said he had the oil light after startup.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Oil light goes out after start up.
Sweet. :D That's obviously very good. Just increase the idle a hair and lay off the throttle for a couple minutes and things should be fine. If it still stalls out just idling with the idle increased, call the dealership and have them pick the bike up to have a poke through the engine and fuel system. That's what the warranty is there for so don't be afraid to use it. Even the tow and everything will get charged to the warranty if they find any defect or incorrect setup.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Just take it to the dealer. It is new. Why would you do work you don't have to do? People, use your warranties.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
993 Posts
Call the dealership....if you can't get it there, they might send a truck to pick it up, whats it hurt to call?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Just take it to the dealer. It is new. Why would you do work you don't have to do? People, use your warranties.

Because fixing it could literally be as simple as turning a knob.

It's not abnormal for a new bike to need to have its idle speed adjusted. Why go through all the trouble of bringing it to the dealer just for them to turn a small knob, which is easily accessible without having to remove any parts of fairings, a few degrees.

·
Banned
1,037 Posts
My bike will do this if its cold and you move the throttle at all. If you just push the starter it works just fine.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Because fixing it could literally be as simple as turning a knob.

It's not abnormal for a new bike to need to have its idle speed adjusted. Why go through all the trouble of bringing it to the dealer just for them to turn a small knob, which is easily accessible without having to remove any parts of fairings, a few degrees.
I see talk of checking batteries and all. Here is a question. What is the bike idling at when first started then what does it idle at when warmed up. I'm really surprised a fuel injected bike has an idle adjustment. I'm guessing it more of a cable adjustment.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts