Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to get the triple tree to seat firmly on the steering stem? When removing the old triple tree (due to a theft attempt) I was able to just pull it off with the steering turned to the far right without excessive force. I can't seem to get the new one back on as it is quite tight. I was thinking that tapping it down with a rubber mallet might work but I don't want to damage anything.

·
Registered
18 Posts
the front end should be unweighted... whether you hang it from the rafters or use a jack under the oil pan.
Do your new stem/tree have a bearing race on it? Are the bearings correct & well lubed?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should have been more clear, it's just the upper clamp that I'm replacing. I'm working out of an apartment garage so unfortunately there are no rafters that I could use to hoist the front end up off the ground.

·
Registered
18 Posts
like I said... the front can not have any weight on it. So it looks like youll be tipping it up on the kickstand while a friend helps you.
Ideally the wheel should be off and the fork legs loose. You start hammering parts on that are secured in 2/3s of the length youre gona find out real fast about tweaking.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks, that's what I feared. I could see that while it was under load it was going to be near impossible to get on there. Absent a way to hoist it, is the best way to unload that front suspension simply to pivot the bike up onto the kickstand?

Everything seems to line up fine and it's not the forks that are providing resistance. It's definitely the steering stem that's tight. Do you think if I can get someone to lift up on the frame on the right side here enough that the front wheel was up off the ground that it would slide on without much trouble?

·
Registered
452 Posts
How did it go? Did you get it done?

Sometimes, you can lift the front end by 'hanging' the bike from an A frame ladder. However, not having the top triple in place may challenge this option.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, I'm in Dallas and with the roads being in such bad shape I haven't been able to recruit any help. I'm going to see if I can get a friend to just lift the front up while I get the triple clamp situated and tightened properly. I'm hoping that with it being at least on there partially now that everything will remain in proper place.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts