Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike seems to have developed a strange whine when accelerating in 4th, 5th or 6th gear. It isn't terrible sounding and honestly if it had always done it I would accept is as normal noise. just strange that it started out of the blue one day and now in addition to the engine/exhaust noise while accelerating you get an extra whining noise that almost sounds like tire noise on a car when your going down the highway. I'm not talking about the whine it makes when at low rpms and letting the clutch out this is different and only happens like I said in 4th gear and up.
I've ruled out everything else it could be like chain/sprockets, tires etc. It's def. the transmission, just not sure if it's an issue and if anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh yeah I know the sound. My bike has always had the typical whine from the straight cut gears. This is an extra noise (high pitch whine) that is most noticable in 4th gear around 40mph (beyond that the wind and exhaust noise wins). I’ve done everything I can do for now it’s got fresh oil and filter in it. Until something goes wrong I can only treat it as normal transmission noise. It isn’t even a “bad” noise it’s hard to describe but if it had always been there I wouldn’t have thought twice about it. Maybe it is normal and I never noticed it before….
Just passed 10,000 miles.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I’m not too concerned with it though the guy I bought it from had dropped the bike and in the process he bent the shift lever. On top of that O have always HATED the way this bike ahofts and have complained about it in the past. I have put 1,000’s of miles on it and still I can’t get smooth shifts. I’ve had Ninja 250’s a 500 and a 600 and have NEVER had a problem using the clutch and getting smooth upshifts and downshifts. Even when I was a noob 10+ years ago. Not sure if it is the slipper clutch or maybe something has been slightly wonky in the transmission all along but it wouldn’t be the end of the world if it imploded and forced mw to buy a new bike…. Maybe next year the Zx4R will be in the US and I can get one cheap from someone who made an impulse buy🫣

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats what mine does but knowing when to pull the clutch in and let it out to get a perfect shift has been impossible for me to get used to with this bike for whatever reason. So much that every time I shift I have to wonder whether or not it will be smooth lol. A small thing but very annoying and I have never had to put any thought into shifting before this bike.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jkv, do you mean does the sound change when I pull in the clutch when I'm moving down the road? Yes it does, that's what convinced me it is the transmission and not tires/chain etc. I tried coasting downhill at 40mph by pulling in the clutch and the noise goes away. My guess it has to be clutch/transmission related. I also have tried to get the clutch to slip to see if that needs replacing but it doesn't slip at all...
Fwiw I just put new chain and sprockets on as well (DID Vx-3) and it is adjusted perfectly with 25mm of slack. Also worth mentioning is one day I was riding around in town and it was very hot out and it started making the noise out of the blue. I figured at the time it was just because the engine was getting pretty hot but it has made the noise ever since,
I'm using Maxima Pro Plus 10-40 with an oem oil filter. Same oil and filter I put on the bike 6000 miles ago when I bought it. I changed it again about 1,000 miles ago...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wish there was a way for me to capture the sound but it would be impossible. Tried quickly running it on stands to hear it but why won't it let you shift to second and up if the bikes not moving? I do like the neutral feature that lets you instantly shift into neutral when you stop but all the other trickery can take a hike haha😁

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do you use the synthetic? I’ll try that. I may end up doing another oil change just to make double sure it looks okay since the noise started maybe 200 miles after the last oil change.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
With the bike on the stand, you should be able to through the gears. I've done it in mine. Make sure you go from N to 1st, then 2nd and so on.
I tried but I think I need to have the rear wheel turning to shift from 1st to 2nd and up? Grabbed some Mobil 1 and a K N filter. Hopefully there arent any monsters in the oil when I drain it but 50 doll hairs for peace of mind is worth it. I only wish it had gotten noisy just BEFORE I did the last oil change lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah I dont think its the oil as I have been using Maxima Pro Plus in my bikes for a while and the 300 never had an issue with it before. Also changed to the Mobil 1 4t synthetic and no real difference. The noise still seems to be there. The old oil looked fine (and didn’t smell like burnt clutch plates) so there isn’t much more I can do. Just gotta get going quickly every time so the wind noise drowns it out haha!
Seriously though, I think it may be something to do with the clutch but either way I don’t think it is anything to panic about. I noticed when the bike is running warm on a hot day, when I put the bike in 1st it’s quite noisy until I let the clutch out to take off. I’m just gonna send it for now.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Maybe it gas to do with the clutch starting to wear out. It had 4000 miles on it when I bought it from a new rider. He dropped it after not owning it long and It scared him so he just wanted it gone.
I’ve never ruined a clutch but who knows how he got along with it lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts