Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I joined this forum because I planned on getting a 300 once the abs model was released. I found a killer deal on a 2009 Ninja 250 with only 500 miles and in mint condition. i bought it but now I am thinking to sell it so that I can get abs.

Is abs worth all of the hype or should I just keep my 250?

Thanks for your advice in advance.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Well the ABS is already available in a number of markets. But at the end of the day, it's really up to you and your needs when it comes to choosing a bike. If you are new to riding, it can't hurt to keep the 250 for a season since you already have it. It will hurt your wallet a lot less if you drop it.

But of course, this being a 300 forum, the opinions you'll likely get will lean towards the 300 if you can sell it easily.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I'd only get abs if you're are a new rider. I don't have abs and I get around just fine just have to be alert of your surroundings. I guess it would come in handy in an emergancy

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Banned
562 Posts
keep the 250
you arent gonna sell it for enough to buy a 300
and u can always track duty it later
i have a 2011 250r that i got for a steal with 800 miles
on it and a 2013 300 and both bikes are fun yet diff enough
to have their own value

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Depends on how awesome of a deal you got on the 250r. I bought a excellent condition 250R for $1800, the seller needed to sell ASAP.. No way in **** dollar for dollar is the Ninja 300 is worth almost 3 times that, and thats just the base model, it would be 4 times that for the ABS model..

But ultimately its what its worth to you.. Maybe keep both, its what I did, I gave the 250R to my wife and if she doesnt start ridding it I am going to start racing it :)

·
Registered
187 Posts
i dont think you should swap bikes just for the abs.. the extra power, styling, performance, are more important IMO. if you got a 300 w/ abs and a 300 w/o abs you probably couldnt even tell the difference

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Definitely don't recommend getting the 300 unless you're gonna keep the 250 as a track bike or something. no point taking the loss on the 250 just for ABS

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if you really got a great deal you will make money flipping the 250 amiright?
I might make $200 or atleast break even (after taxes, fees, etc.).

Money is not really an issue but more the safety issue. I guess I am trying to determine if ABS is a drastic improvement over standard brakes.

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
The bike is worth the trade. ABS is a choice each can decide on their own. I go without and don't feel I need it. There are enough differences besides ABS to make it worthwhile.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
I might make $200 or atleast break even (after taxes, fees, etc.).

Money is not really an issue but more the safety issue. I guess I am trying to determine if ABS is a drastic improvement over standard brakes.
Question is .. are you going to be like many people who feel they outgrow their lightweight and then want a 600cc? If you don't plan on owning the 300 for at least a couple years, it's a waste of time.

Yes, ABS is nice but proper braking technique is just as good. If you focus on using the front and rear brake properly in emergency-stopping situations, and get good at it, there is no point in spending more money on a bike just for ABS.

If the 250 is treating you right, stick with the 250 for another year or two and then see how you feel. From the sound of it, it seems like you haven't even ridden your 250 much at all. If you haven't already, take the MSF course and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
How green are you?

If you are a newbie like myself, then yes. I locked up my front wheel on my scooter breaking on wet road at 50kph once and that is enough. I wondered if the cost of insurance woudl be cheaper on a bike equiped with ABS brakes like a bike with an alarm system?

·
Registered
958 Posts
I don't think you can compare the 2 bikes even without ABS. The 300 is a larger and far superior bike. I have ABS on my 300 and I think it's worth the extra cost because you can't really train yourself to calmly react in an emergence situation, it just isn't going to happen. So I feel the ABS was worth the extra $500 for me. But to compare the base 250 to the 300, they are like night and day. I originally planned on getting a 250r, keeping it for a year and then upgrading to a 600. But instead I got my 300, and I don't see myself getting rid of it anytime soon. :D

If you are a newbie like myself, then yes. I locked up my front wheel on my scooter breaking on wet road at 50kph once and that is enough. I wondered if the cost of insurance woudl be cheaper on a bike equiped with ABS brakes like a bike with an alarm system?
I asked my insurance guy if I get a discount for ABS and he said no, but I did get a discount for keeping my bike under a locking cover.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all of the feedback and advice. I have my MSF scheduled for next weekend and I will see how that goes before I make any decisions.

I have ridden dirt bikes for a long time but this whole collaboration with cars thing is a bit stressful.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
I have ABS on my 300 and I think it's worth the extra cost because you can't really train yourself to calmly react in an emergence situation, it just isn't going to happen.
Exactly. You dont "feel" like you need ABS until you "feel" your skin peeling from you when you are sliding down the road after braking hard in that emergency situation that you cannot train for no matter how many times you have practiced.

If you know you are going to do an emergency stop, like practicing, your brain and body knows what you are about to do and is prepared for that scenario.

If you jam on the brakes because thats what your brain tells you to do when someone goes through an intersection in front of you, and you will jam on your brakes, because your brain will tell you do that - no matter what anyone says, you will more than likely be in a very fine line in coming off or staying on. Add water and chances increase manyfold that you will be off.

Especially if your brakes lock.

But horses for courses, I am confident knowing that in that emergency situation, when my brain jams my body parts down on those brakes when I have not prepared in that minute split second to do so, that I will have just that extra bit of chance of not locking my wheels and staying upright.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts