Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be in southern oregon for a weekened this summer, while down there I have been debating driving down to the San Fransisco area. I have always wanted to tour Alcatraz and check out Lombard St and ride on a cable car... Its just random bucket list items haha.. Just dont know if that is enough for a 5 hour drive each way.. What else is down in the area??

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it, thats good :D If I went I wouldnt want to find the top of the line tour and do it, I could do a all day tour of the place for as much as I have wanted to go there haha.. I loved that movie The Rock growing up and could watch it over and over again, though for all I know it was shot in a studio haha

I went to Vegas last summer and while there we went to the Hoover Dam, didnt know anything about the tour we just asked for the most popular tour.. It was all of 10 minutes.. It was BS. I was pissed off I seen nothing cool at all :(

·
Banned
1,037 Posts
Is it, thats good :D If I went I wouldnt want to find the top of the line tour and do it, I could do a all day tour of the place.. I went to Vegas last summer and while there we went to the Hoover Dam, didnt know anything about the tour we just asked for the most popular tour.. It was all of 10 minutes.. It was BS. I was pissed off I seen nothing cool at all :(
It use to be so much better if this was after 9/11. When I was around 10 they showed us all kinds of stuff. they don't really care you can look around the place. Since its not something some one wants to blow up.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm down in Monterey, about 2 hours south of SF, there's a lot more to do in SF, but the scenery here is 10x better. Plus, Laguna Seca is basically my backyard.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
You could spend forever around SF alone. The Monterey area is beautiful and you can take the scenic route down here. There's always the famous Monterey Bay Aquarium! You could also stop by Corbin on the way down to Monterey if you wanted to :p

·
Registered
487 Posts
Bike (pedal power!) across the Golden Gate Bridge to Sausalito is always nice if you've got the time. Cable car should take you past Lombard and if you're in SOMA (?) visit the D-Store and try on some leathers :D

·
Registered
390 Posts
Alcatraz - If you do Alcatraz a word of advice, go early in the morning, get your ticket off the internet and print it out (that's what I did) in order to beat the crowds. The ferry brings people to and from Alcatraz all day long, so if you are the first group in the morning, then you don't have to worry about other groups coming in through out the day and pretty much have the island to yourself (with the first group) before other groups start showing up.

Muir Woods/Sausalito - It's right above the Golden Gate Bridge (along with Sausalito - rich snobs as far as people are concerned, but great views of the bay and the Golden Gate, etc), haven't been to Muir Woods yet, but will be going at some point.

Golden Gate Park, which has this inside of it (among other things): http://www.calacademy.org/

Fisherman's Wharf/Pier 39 - Lot of good stuff there, specifically Ghirardelli Square (http://www.ghirardellisq.com/), the San Francisco Bush Man (youtube him), the Wax Museum, Boudin Bakery (http://www.boudinbakery.com/), etc.

Chinatown - If you're familiar with the artist Banksy, you'll find some artwork on the wall from him there, I believe on or near Sacramento street. Chinese culture, etc.

If you make it to Berekely, there's Telegraph and a street market full of vendors, etc.

I've been to the Bay Area a gazillion times (it's like my home away from home), there's so much to do there, it really depends on what your interests are and how much time and money you have. If you have any questions or want to know more, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to help.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I am going to be in southern oregon for a weekened this summer, while down there I have been debating driving down to the San Fransisco area. I have always wanted to tour Alcatraz and check out Lombard St and ride on a cable car... Its just random bucket list items haha.. Just dont know if that is enough for a 5 hour drive each way.. What else is down in the area??
<br />
<br />

Ran into this thread while looking for the "Tour De Bay" thread. Seeing as you haven't come yet, here's my input.

Big note. Ready for this? There are motorcycle rentals :eek:

I just happened to have planned something for my friends who are coming next weekend so I'll share the fruits of my labor haha

Day1. On one end of Lombard - Coit Tower, Mama's for breakfast, St. Paul's church/North Beach, Squiggly part of Lombard, Zushi Puzzle for lunch, Fort Mason through to the Persidio/Fort Point, swing back to the Marina District for dinner at Isa and drinks at the many bars around.

Day2. Alcatraz and Angel Island would take about a day. Come back in the afternoon to Japantown, especially Aqua Forest Aquarium, then head over to Haight x Ashbury for dinner/drinks.

Day3. Muir Woods, Davey Jones Deli in Sausalito for lunch, bum around Sausalito/Stinson beach, head to the East Bay for dinner. Then Berkeley to hang out around the old diggs.

Anyways, feel free to PM me if you want more. I'm basically a tour guide cause I go explore so much. I got your back for SF, Berkeley, and Oakland.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts