Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay i had heard that 118 was top speed and 106 as well....
But im hitting 108 on flat, and 116 downhill.
Whats the most you guys have been too?

And how accurate is my speedometer?
Also i have a 2016 300 abs,with 650 miles on it, use 93 octane, and weigh 160 with gear and backpack

·
Registered
33 Posts
Okay i had heard that 118 was top speed and 106 as well....
But im hitting 108 on flat, and 116 downhill.
Whats the most you guys have been too?

And how accurate is my speedometer?
Also i have a 2016 300 abs,with 650 miles on it, use 93 octane, and weigh 160 with gear and backpack
Axent How long you been riding?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Speedo not too accurate. Grab your (or borrow a) GPS. Reset the memory and go for a ride. Most GPS units have a max speed memory showing you what your top speed was.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I've never seen more than 105 shallow downhill out of mine, but that wasn't really trying, and with no tuck. I'm 6'3" and make a nice sail.

It's not a bike I'd ever worry about top speed on. Mine will pull to 90 okay but it's treacle after that.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I've seen 200km/hr (124mph) at the racetrack on the speed trap. Highest I've reached is 178km/hr (110mph) on GPS because the straight isn't long enough at my local track

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
@el_dino
Since about april. Had 3k miles on a 2016 650 and it got totalled. Now i have this with 700 miles on it. But i drive about 2 hrs a day when it doesnt rain

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Since about april.
Had 3k miles on a 2016 650 and it got totalled. Now i have this with 700 miles on it.
But i drive about 2 hrs a day when it doesnt rain

How does driving 2 hours a day relevant to gaining riding skills on a bike?

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've seen 118MPH on the speedo one time on a long downhill stretch. (On a closed road in Mexico of course) I weigh 130lbs with all of my gear on, I was in a full tuck and it was nice and cool out. However, I've had it reach 107 MPH before completely running out of steam too, so I think it's circumstantial. Need perfect conditions to see the magic 118. Even at that, it's likely closer to 106 MPH actual speed when it's indicating 118 MPH.

·
Registered
742 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
When calculated by the given parameters (sprockets, gearing, tires) you'll get the following speed in each gear @ 12,500 rpm.
Gear 1 - 36 mph
Gear 2 - 55 mph
Gear 3 - 70 mph
Gear 4 - 84 mph
Gear 5 - 97 mph
Gear 6 - 113 mph

·
Registered
33 Posts
@el_dino
Since about april. Had 3k miles on a 2016 650 and it got totalled. Now i have this with 700 miles on it. But i drive about 2 hrs a day when it doesnt rain
Thats cool... I have been riding for two days now. Its windy in the high desert. People here drive 80+ MPH on major streets. Any advice?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
383 Posts
I had put together a spreadsheet to calculate speeds at varying RPM in each gear using data from the Kawi site to get the ratios. I don't remember exactly what the top speed worked out to be, but it was somewhere in the range of 180-190 km/h (112-118 mph) in 6th at redline. Unless you blast past redline (disable limiter) or change the stock gearing for more speed and less pull, you cannot exceed that speed, and reaching it even assumes you still have 'go' left in there to even get there. I haven't tried on my Ninja, but I know my Honda runs out of steam a few kPRM shy of redline in top gear, and I would expect similar results from the Ninja. I'd say you'd be hard pressed to get higher than 160 km/h (100 mph) without a tailwind downhill.

My math lines up what @Yoermane has posted above. I'd trust my math before I'd trust the speedo, I know for a fact my Honda is about 10% high on the dial (GPS and radar checked).

·
Registered
593 Posts
vulgr didn't you also claim 123 gps for R3 on the R3 forum. How are people exceeding what the bikes are even geared for.
http://www.r3-forums.com/forum/289-yamaha-r3-general-discussion/67962-r3-top-speed-achieved-2.html#post379177
Is the rev limiter disabled somehow???

http://www.computime.com.au/meetings/2016/ASBK3/ASBK3_16_R02_RES.HTML
5th place and 10th place both on ninja 300's @200km/hr (right column)

Engine work isn't allowed in the classes I race, but there are a lot of variables that come into the equation including (but not limited to) rider size and weight, tuning with pcv/bazzaz etc, sprocket selection, chain selection (must remain 520 though), weight reduction of the bike, slip streaming, track configuration and much more.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@el_dino
My advice is invest in a very good quality helmet or ear buds to save your hearing.
And i tuck anything faster than 70mph.
Also... semi trucks are a pain to be behind, get in front at any chance you get or the wind throws you.

I drive super aggressive. Avg commute to and from is like 45 minutes but i do it in 30, ducking and weaving through traffic.

Also did a gps recorded trip and my speedo hit 113. Max registered is 110.2 woot

Attachments

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
@el_dino
My advice is invest in a very good quality helmet or ear buds to save your hearing.
And i tuck anything faster than 70mph.
Also... semi trucks are a pain to be behind, get in front at any chance you get or the wind throws you.

I drive super aggressive. Avg commute to and from is like 45 minutes but i do it in 30, ducking and weaving through traffic.

Also did a gps recorded trip and my speedo hit 113. Max registered is 110.2 woot
/facepalm on so many levels.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
While i can see your concern. The totalled 650 was because i was braking after coming out of a corner with a construction worker holding a stop sign.
I was actually only going 30-35 around the corner.

And i was almost driven off the road a moment ago while getting off my lunch break. People around here are stupid and most of them drive under the speed limit by significant amounts.

Tl;dr
Wasnt my fault for totalling the 650

People driving around here a fking stupid.

P.s. i live in east tennessee. Hillbilly territory, and home of old people galore

1 - 20 of 48 Posts