Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...this time I went down at turn 7 at Chuckwalla.

We were running CCW; I was in B group. I'm not the fastest in the group, but definitely not the slowest. I'd say I'm probably in the top 25% of the pack.

Anyway...turn 7 and 6 are a really interesting set of turns. It's a double-apex left-hander after a short straight. It's a great place to pass because people tend to over brake as they approach this particular turn. After you hit the first apex the bike drifts to the outside and it feels like you're going to run off the track. The trick of course is to keep on that throttle and look for the next apex. It was the third session of the day and I was starting to get really comfortable out there. I felt I was close to the perfect line specifically in this set of turns. Naturally, I started to push it a little further. I flew down the straight, hit the second brake marker, tapped down a gear and hit the brake and dove into the corner.

I realized I'd come in a little too hot right after hitting the first apex. I instinctively let off the throttle just slightly and the bike's weight shifted to the front tire. I was at or near full lean angle so when I got back on the throttle the back tire washed out. I hit the ground on my left side and slid into the dirt tumbling a couple times. The bike also slid into the dirt but thankfully did not flip. I was probably going around 65-70mph so I was expecting a lot of damage (to myself and the bike lol). Thankfully though, I got up without a scratch and the only real damage to the bike (besides scratches) was the shift lever was destroyed.

Luckily I had a spare shift lever in my tool box so I was able to switch the damaged one out and didn't miss a single session! Admittedly I was a little more careful the rest of the day but at least I was able to get back out there on the same day...

Lesson learned...don't get off the throttle mid corner at full lean.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Where do they stack up on the Pirelli sticky list? Are they Pirelli's Top race tires for the little bikes? Just curious. Trying to get up to speed on the Pirelli models, as I think I'm gonna give them a shot.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Glad to hear you're ok.

It's so easy to look back on accidents and think about what you should have done different. I used to tell people that one of my crashes was because I didn't let off the gas enough after I had a mid turn wobble at a serious lean angle as I went over a seam. I know full well that getting off the throttle too much at full lean angle will usually wash out the front. The whole time I'm thinking to myself "smooth... smooooth..." So I stayed on the gas - and proceed to blow the turn and go off roading.

Sometimes you're just [email protected]#$ked. More throttle, less throttle, doesn't matter you're going down one way or another. Now I tell myself that the solution isn't how I handled that situation, it's avoiding the poor decision making that got me there in the first place.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Glad to hear that both you and the bike came out of everything relatively unscathed. Although the issue from what you said was you getting BACK ON the throttle after chopping it. If chopping the throttle didn't send you sliding across the ground, I would have just kept off the throttle, let momentum carry me through the rest of the turn and got back on it once more upright and call that particular trip through the corner a loss and take note to do better next time around. I've heard of many track crashes coming about not from the initial mistake that people have made but them trying to salvage the mistake and making things worse.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where do they stack up on the Pirelli sticky list? Are they Pirelli's Top race tires for the little bikes? Just curious. Trying to get up to speed on the Pirelli models, as I think I'm gonna give them a shot.
The DRIIs aren't race tires, they're street tires. They are very sticky though and are awesome for the track. There's probably stickier tires out there designed specifically for the track, but these work great for the occasional canyon run and for the track. Can't recommend them enough.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Glad to hear you're ok.

It's so easy to look back on accidents and think about what you should have done different. I used to tell people that one of my crashes was because I didn't let off the gas enough after I had a mid turn wobble at a serious lean angle as I went over a seam. I know full well that getting off the throttle too much at full lean angle will usually wash out the front. The whole time I'm thinking to myself "smooth... smooooth..." So I stayed on the gas - and proceed to blow the turn and go off roading.

Sometimes you're just [email protected]#$ked. More throttle, less throttle, doesn't matter you're going down one way or another. Now I tell myself that the solution isn't how I handled that situation, it's avoiding the poor decision making that got me there in the first place.
Yeah, absolutely. I got too cocky and started thinking I was Valentino out there hehe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts