Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for a ride today and had myself a little accident.

Going downhill and come to a very tight hairpin, dropped most of the speed before the corner but not enough. Going into the corner a touch too hot with my foot on the rear brake (i had already shifted my weight and leaning pretty hard, so by now i knew i was f***ed) locked the rear wheel and high sided.

I was thrown off the bike and down a ditch bashing my head into a soft pile of dirt. I bruised my calf and that was it.

As for the bike, bent the right rear set, a couple nicks and scuffs. After checking it over and having a little laugh about it we continued the ride.

Still had an awesome ride before and after the crash.:D

·
Registered
221 Posts
Went for a ride today and had myself a little accident.

Going downhill and come to a very tight hairpin, dropped most of the speed before the corner but not enough. Going into the corner a touch too hot with my foot on the rear brake (i had already shifted my weight and leaning pretty hard, so by now i knew i was f***ed) locked the rear wheel and high sided.

I was thrown off the bike and down a ditch bashing my head into a soft pile of dirt. I bruised my calf and that was it.

As for the bike, bent the right rear set, a couple nicks and scuffs. After checking it over and having a little laugh about it we continued the ride.

Still had an awesome ride before and after the crash.:D
Sorry to hear about your incident :(

But I couldn't help notice you said you locked the rear wheel, guessing your SE is non-ABS?

·
Registered
127 Posts
sorry to hear about your incident. please go and get seen at a hospital. make sure you're medically cleared. esp. you say you high sided. shame on the helmet getting scratched - will need it replaced now. as the rule helmet only used once for a crash (in a perfect world).

True that oggy knobs did really do its job. =) http://www.kawasakininja300.com/forum/63-crash-boom-bang/2393-worth-insurance-job.html

worse damage to bike - but helmet was unscathed so quite fortunate about it.

Take care mate. Hope you're all feeling better and thanks for sharing for us to learn from it.

·
Registered
865 Posts
nice! Hopefully the yoshi ones fork just as good! I just ordered a set of those a few days ago.

Glad to see your safe and sound man =D

Now you have to go helmet shopping! Whatcha thinking about getting?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys. As said no injuries had here apart from a sore calf (if you wanna call that an injury).

It was a low speed crash and the dirt and leaves i landed in were softer than my bed, I've hit the deck so much harder on my pushy.

As the old saying goes "SHIT HAPPENS". Fortunately i have plenty to take from this experience, unfortunately i became the joke of the day (army diving into the tree's, crash test dummy).

Sorry to hear about your incident :(

But I couldn't help notice you said you locked the rear wheel, guessing your SE is non-ABS?
Correct, it's a non ABS model.

sorry to hear about your incident. please go and get seen at a hospital. make sure you're medically cleared. esp. you say you high sided. shame on the helmet getting scratched - will need it replaced now. as the rule helmet only used once for a crash (in a perfect world).

True that oggy knobs did really do its job. =) http://www.kawasakininja300.com/forum/63-crash-boom-bang/2393-worth-insurance-job.html

worse damage to bike - but helmet was unscathed so quite fortunate about it.

Take care mate. Hope you're all feeling better and thanks for sharing for us to learn from it.
I was actually thinking about replacing my helmet for a while now, but couldn't justify dropping another 7-800 when mine was perfectly fine. now i can get a new one.
As for the Oggys, def worth the money and head ache trying to fit them.

nice! Hopefully the yoshi ones fork just as good! I just ordered a set of those a few days ago.

Glad to see your safe and sound man =D

Now you have to go helmet shopping! Whatcha thinking about getting?
I've been eyeballing the Shoei xr1100 for a while.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I like that helmet also. I wish the RPHA-10 had that design.

It seems like your fairings got all scratched up. I think the stock or yoshi sliders would have prevented that but no doubt the oggy nobs kept them from cracking.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Oooooooo!!!! I like the graphics on that helmet!!!!

·
Registered
952 Posts
I dont get it. Those oggy knobs are suppised to help mitigate crash damage? To they fold up at all? Why are they better than stock foot pegs?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
315 Posts
Not sure if you are serious....

Haha me either.

I dont get it. Those oggy knobs are suppised to help mitigate crash damage? To they fold up at all? Why are they better than stock foot pegs?

No worries if you are.. the oggy knobs are frame sliders, not a part of the rearsets. They're on the main fairing to protect it from damage sustained in a fall/wreck. They don't bend. :)

·
Registered
168 Posts
What rearsets are those? They survived nicely too. A whole lot thicker than the stock pedal.
I'm worried the stock one will crush into the sight glass and crack it if it ever lays over.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Haha me either.

No worries if you are.. the oggy knobs are frame sliders, not a part of the rearsets. They're on the main fairing to protect it from damage sustained in a fall/wreck. They don't bend. :)
They are mounted to the frame structure itself and aren't primarily designed to save the fairings at all. They are designed to allow the bike slide and not eat through the frame and engine. They were not designed around impacts. Any time you have a nice solid impact on frame sliders, get your frame inspected thoroughly around the impact site to ensure that there isn't any damage. Even a slight bend or dent in the frame is bad.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Not sure if you are serious....

Ha ha. I was serious. They look like the footpegs on my friends r6. He has a pair of footpegs that dont have a spring so if they get pushed up they stay up. I think it's the stupidest thing ever. I want my footpegs there for me at all times. He's kinda not all there. He's a begginner insisting on riding nothing less than a 600.
Back on topic.
Which are better the oggy knobs or the shogun sliders? Are the oggy knobs no cut? What other sliders are there out there besides oen kawasaki sliders?

Is it better not to have sliders if you dont want your frame cracked or bent?

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Ha ha. I was serious. They look like the footpegs on my friends r6. He has a pair of footpegs that dont have a spring so if they get pushed up they stay up. I think it's the stupidest thing ever. I want my footpegs there for me at all times.

The racing type foot pegs on the rear sets don't have springs in them to reduce weight. The spring mechanism is unneeded weight and you'll see almost all after market versions are not spring loaded. They're solid, textured pipe.

He's kinda not all there. He's a begginner insisting on riding nothing less than a 600.
Back on topic.
Which are better the oggy knobs or the shogun sliders?

Personal preference. Both on the forum have shown to function as designed.

Are the oggy knobs no cut?

I Believe they are no cut. Can't remember all of the different sliders on here off the top of my head.

What other sliders are there out there besides oen kawasaki sliders?

Pick an after market company and they'll probably have sliders for the bike

Is it better not to have sliders if you dont want your frame cracked or bent?

Actual, true, straight up impacts to the sliders are VERY rare. Sliding out and low siding is the most common crash you'll have on a track and which is where frame sliders were first developed. On the road, any strong impact to the frame sliders directly, probably came at the end of a rather not so nice crash anyways and either way you're probably going to have a totaled bike. If you really want the ultimate in crash protection, a cage or at least true engine guards will prevent impact damage. They're a pain in the ass to install and cost a lot more money and will greatly change the look of the bike. It requires major alteration of the fairings in order to weld the tubing to the frame. For what we use our bikes for and how much for initial investment, frame sliders will work fine. Unless you are stunting your bike, a cage isn't economically necessary. If you go with frame sliders, just make sure you give a VERY good inspection to the mounting points of the sliders and surrounding areas after a crash to ensure you didn't tweak or damage the frame or engine in any way.

I answered your questions in bold. I hope it's what you were looking for.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts