Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys
Looking to buy this bike soon. What should I look out for when I go see the bike in person? Any tips would be much appreciated! What do you guys think?

·
Registered
628 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Has the posting already been deleted?

For an inexperienced rider, who doesn't know much about motorcycles I would not recommend Craigslist. Too many dubious things to watch out for.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Maybe it was a good deal and didn't last long.

What's your budget?

If you can spend around $3000, then look for a bike with less than 5000 miles, one owner, with little or no modifications and you'll most surely be safe.

If you're looking to spend closer to $2000, then you'll have to be more careful, and there's not much you can check if you don't have bike experience. Check the engine sounds well, tires not worn out, fairings in decent shape and firm, all lights and instruments working.
If you can ride the bike, check it doesn't veer, it pulls even and it brakes well.

If you're under $2000, then it'll be hard to find a good N300 and you'll very probably have to spend some money after buying it.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Being a new rider, the first thing you should do is get training. Don't ride on the street without some sort of proper training. Then get all the gear and wear it all the time.

If you have a friend that is an experienced rider, bring them with you to look at the cycle. First thing I always look at is the chain. If the person doesn't do good maintenance the chain will show it. It should look decent - not saggy and rusty. Then look at the tires. Any cycle with tires over 5 years old, or showing cracks or wear-bars, should be replaced immediately. Look at the color of the brake fluid. It should be clear or slightly yellow - but not dark. Look at the color of the oil. Again, it should look reasonably golden and not ink black.

Open the gas tank and look inside with a flashlight. It should be clean. A rusty tank will cause plenty of problems.

Start it up and listen to it idle. It should be reasonably quiet with no loud ticking. Ask to see records for valve adjustments and maintenance.

Do some research so you know what the book value of "fair", "good", very good", and "excellent" condition are for that model, and factor in the cost of maintenance that hasn't been done and especially tires that need replacing - that isn't cheap.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts