Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've been riding 300cc bikes for awhile now, but my question is for some reason I feel less secure on a 300cc entry supersport than a 600-800cc sport. The main reason for this is when I corner or stop rapidly I always over rev. On a sport the handlebar position is straighter and never have this issue. I have switched to sport bikes now because of the comfort and power but I would love to ride a 600cc supersport someday.:emot-bang:

·
Registered
996 Posts
I'm confused, what do you mean by a "sport?" Compared to a 600cc supersport, the 300's handlebars are more straight, not less.

Do you mean you're twisting the throttle accidentally during turns and hard braking, causing the engine to rev? If so, you are probably gripping the throttle too tightly or putting too much weight on the bars, try to relax a bit. The vast majority of your weight should be on your butt or feet (seat or footpegs). Squeeze the tank with your legs to stabilize yourself and keep your core (torso muscles) tight. Your arms should not be supporting much weight, and you shouldn't be gripping the bars hard. Try to imagine holding a small injured animal in your hands: grip tight enough that it can't squirm out but not so tight that you hurt it.

Hope this helps! It may just take some time to get used to the new handlebar setup.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I'm a bit confused by the terminology as well. I would categorize our Ninja 300 (as well as a Ninja 650r and a Ninja 1000) as "sport". On the other hand, I would put the Ninja 636, CBR600rr, GSX-R600, R6 in the "supersports" category with their lower clip on grips.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Now what do you mean you "over rev" at a stop?

Typical entry level "supersports" are the 636, 600rr, gsxr600, r6.

"Supermids" also consider next tier in the supersport range are your gsxr750, daytona 675(debatable entry level), 899, f3 800.

And then you have your Superbikes or the highest tier in the supersport range: s1krr, 1299, rsv4, r1, etc

These days they categorize the r3, rc390 as entry level superssport. I consider these sport standard motorcycles with some "supersport" features like semi aggressive riding position, revy engine, and trickled down tech from their supersport siblings.

Supersport bikes generally consist of a more committed riding position, super revy engines, they are first and foremost a track and race bike with some road legal bits.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Now what do you mean you "over rev" at a stop?

Typical entry level "supersports" are the 636, 600rr, gsxr600, r6.

"Supermids" also consider next tier in the supersport range are your gsxr750, daytona 675(debatable entry level), 899, f3 800.

And then you have your Superbikes or the highest tier in the supersport range: s1krr, 1299, rsv4, r1, etc

These days they categorize the r3, rc390 as entry level superssport. I consider these sport standard motorcycles with some "supersport" features like semi aggressive riding position, revy engine, and trickled down tech from their supersport siblings.

Supersport bikes generally consist of a more committed riding position, super revy engines, they are first and foremost a track and race bike with some road legal bits.
Don't forget what used to be touted as the "hyper sport" class of motorcycles when Kawasaki and Suzuki made the ZX-14R (then the 12r) and the Hayabusa. Too bad no one else wanted to play in that category.

As someone said earlier, it sounds like you have a death grip on your throttle as turning and hitting bumps and the like should not be putting in any throttle input at all. Since you say you don't have the issue with the larger and more upright sporting bikes, it's probably because you aren't used to the more forward body position some sport bikes have. You're trying to hold yourself up with your arms and are stiff on the bars. As someone else said, use your knees and legs to pinch the tank and hold yourself up with your legs. You should be able to be in a near full tuck and take your hands off the controls and your upper body shouldn't move.

As my MSF instructor used to tell us, "it's a throttle grip not a cock! Stop trying to squeeze cum out of it!"

lol.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Don't forget what used to be touted as the "hyper sport" class of motorcycles when Kawasaki and Suzuki made the ZX-14R (then the 12r) and the Hayabusa. Too bad no one else wanted to play in that category.

As someone said earlier, it sounds like you have a death grip on your throttle as turning and hitting bumps and the like should not be putting in any throttle input at all. Since you say you don't have the issue with the larger and more upright sporting bikes, it's probably because you aren't used to the more forward body position some sport bikes have. You're trying to hold yourself up with your arms and are stiff on the bars. As someone else said, use your knees and legs to pinch the tank and hold yourself up with your legs. You should be able to be in a near full tuck and take your hands off the controls and your upper body shouldn't move.

As my MSF instructor used to tell us, "it's a throttle grip not a cock! Stop trying to squeeze cum out of it!"

lol.
almost forgot about the hypersports - h2r comes to mind

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I love the FZ 07's position, 300cc may not be a supersport so to say in terms of power, etc but the design behind it preps beginner riders for it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts