Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my baby and I had a slide on Monday, unfortunately. I was taking a 35mph corner at about 40mph while on a cruise and stepped on some leaves. They just came so fast I couldn't correct my line in time. Next thing I know I'm sliding on the road staring at an oncoming guardrail. And everything went black.

I had flashes of pinpoints in time. I remember seeing a stranger by my side asking me if I was okay. Then I remember being in the ambulance shaking. I remember them cutting my gear; worst feeling ever. I also remember the CAT/MRI scans they did.

So I woke up in a hospital bed. Turns out I broke my collarbone in two places, broke two ribs, bruised my hip, burned my leg on the exhaust (motorcycle was on my leg), a concussion and loss of memory. My bike was completely totaled; it slid for about 75-100 feet, hit a log and caught air, and slammed into a tree about 7 feet in the air.

Now I have a very worried family, friends and a hysterical girlfriend, but I'm here and that's what matters. I'm glad I have good coverage, I'm not paying a cent except for a $250 deductible. They're even covering gear :) My motorcycle is currently with the insurance and is likely totaled. I'm probably going to take a break considering the medic said I need 6 months worth of rest. But I'm already looking at a new ninja 300 or maybe a super moto :) Definitely not a supersport.

I'm happy that I was wearing full gear. I believe my helmet took the most damage with a rash that uncovered the fiberglass and a crank, my jacket had a tear (textile) on the elbow about an inch long and my pants had slight rash. I would use them again but the paramedics cut them up trying to get them off.

I really do feel lucky to be alive and I wanted to thank all of you for contributing to such a great forum. You all have no idea how much I have learned from this forum and I appreciate it so much. I've been taking the time to show everyone how much I appreciate them because in reality, life is too short to hold grudges and be angry. I may seem like I'm not very active on the forums but believe me, I spend minimum about one to two hours on it daily. I want to please ask you all to wear full gear at all times because this was only a 40-45mph crash and it caused a lot of damage. And to please appreciate life and everything that comes with it:)

I'll be seeing you guys around :D

·
Registered
96 Posts
Good to hear you were wearing gear and made it out okay without any serious injuries! Every time I read one of these it constantly reminds me to always expect the unexpected.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good to hear you were wearing gear and made it out okay without any serious injuries! Every time I read one of these it constantly reminds me to always expect the unexpected.

Thanks buddy and yeah, I wasn't expecting the slide at all but it happened. All we can do now is reflect.

·
Premium Member
12,370 Posts
You all have no idea how much I have learned from this forum and I appreciate it so much. I've been taking the time to show everyone how much I appreciate them because in reality, life is too short to hold grudges and be angry.

I fully understand 100% how you feel.

Speedy recovery to you

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Well my baby and I had a slide on Monday, unfortunately. I was taking a 35mph corner at about 40mph while on a cruise and stepped on some leaves. They just came so fast I couldn't correct my line in time. Next thing I know I'm sliding on the road staring at an oncoming guardrail. And everything went black.

I had flashes of pinpoints in time. I remember seeing a stranger by my side asking me if I was okay. Then I remember being in the ambulance shaking. I remember them cutting my gear; worst feeling ever. I also remember the CAT/MRI scans they did.

So I woke up in a hospital bed. Turns out I broke my collarbone in two places, broke two ribs, bruised my hip, burned my leg on the exhaust (motorcycle was on my leg), a concussion and loss of memory. My bike was completely totaled; it slid for about 75-100 feet, hit a log and caught air, and slammed into a tree about 7 feet in the air.

Now I have a very worried family, friends and a hysterical girlfriend, but I'm here and that's what matters. I'm glad I have good coverage, I'm not paying a cent except for a $250 deductible. They're even covering gear :) My motorcycle is currently with the insurance and is likely totaled. I'm probably going to take a break considering the medic said I need 6 months worth of rest. But I'm already looking at a new ninja 300 or maybe a super moto :) Definitely not a supersport.

I'm happy that I was wearing full gear. I believe my helmet took the most damage with a rash that uncovered the fiberglass and a crank, my jacket had a tear (textile) on the elbow about an inch long and my pants had slight rash. I would use them again but the paramedics cut them up trying to get them off.

I really do feel lucky to be alive and I wanted to thank all of you for contributing to such a great forum. You all have no idea how much I have learned from this forum and I appreciate it so much. I've been taking the time to show everyone how much I appreciate them because in reality, life is too short to hold grudges and be angry. I may seem like I'm not very active on the forums but believe me, I spend minimum about one to two hours on it daily. I want to please ask you all to wear full gear at all times because this was only a 40-45mph crash and it caused a lot of damage. And to please appreciate life and everything that comes with it:)

I'll be seeing you guys around :D
Your post hits hard and it hits home. I'm very glad you're OK. Your well-written account explains how these things can happen so fast, and how your gear can protect you even when you're unconscious and with a hot bike on your leg.

Really glad you made it. Rest-up, take all the time you need to mend, take your sweet time researching your next bike and the world of motorcycling is here if you ever decide to return. If not, nobody can blame you. Sometimes, a little bit of a break will have you itching for a quick-return to two-wheels.

I think a few of us have had those moments where we had to re-consider riding whilst healing. I know I have. I still have the separated shoulder, but my injuries in the track crash were nothing compared to yours. I crashed on the freeway once on the way to work; something I know could happen but it's something we never plan-for specifically. Gear (custom leather suit) saved my skin, literally.

Thanks for posting this.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi mate,
glad your okay! Appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us all, albeit bad but nether the less an experience which is part of the nature of the beast for what we do. Your injuries whilst substantial are better than what would have been had you not been wearing full gear. Also a timely reminder that skill, preparation and sensible riding can turn real bad, real quick and unless someone is grooming the public roads ahead of you we are suseptible to what ever little drop of oil or litter than was layed before us.
Anyway just wanted to take my time to wish you well and celebrate that you live to ride another day.:)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Glad you're OK :)

Reactions: White-Fury

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Sorry to hear that man. Shit happens. Wipe it off and keep going. I'm glad you posted this. I need riding pants bad. I have a bad habit of riding in blue jeans.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
Sorry to hear of your mishap! It is amazing how badly hurt one can be even at 40mph!Wishing you a speedy recovery and hope to see you around still!...

Cheers!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Man that's a bummer but glad you weren't hurt worse than you were. Leaves are dangerous and will sneak up on us. I remember hitting a bunch of wet leaves once on a spirited ride in my Evo and it immediately kicked my tail out to a rally style slide. If it wasn't for quick thinking and all wheel drive I would have wrecked for sure.

Hope you heal fast and are back on two wheels soon.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I come on the forums maybe once a week, but every time I do, I always see a new post about an accident. =( Thank goodness you made it out and are on the mend. Get well soon!

Reactions: White-Fury

·
Registered
391 Posts
Those are some crazy pics. Wow you are blessed to have come out of it alive and relatively ok. Take your time, rest up, work out as time passes, and get black on the horse.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 34 Posts