Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Like many of you I'm sure, I have friends and family whose first reaction to me getting a motorcycle was something along the lines of "OMG don't do it! You're gonna die!". Which is OK, they can have their opinions.

Today I was talking with a good friend of mine who had never been on a scooter, moped, or motorcycle. I was trying to describe how fun and freeing it is to ride a motorcycle. Keep in mind she loves horseback riding and was an instructor at one point: "It's a lot like horseback riding, in the sense you are high up, and can really experience the world around you. And just like riding a horse, the speed is way more noticeable than in a car!"

At this point I decided it would be easiest to offer her a ride when spring comes around. But she flat out refused for safety reasons, stating there is no protection from injury. I then went over wearing all the safety gear, and said she would have even more protection than on her horse. Then she said this: "I always wore a helmet and gloves on a horse. But you don't go as fast, so the chances of crashing are significantly lower and so is the death rate"....This statistic out of thin air bugged me...

So I did some research and found this: Study finds horseback riding more dangerous than motorbikes: http://medicine.ucalgary.ca/about/horseback
For the full study: http://www.horsemanshipsafety.com/mulloy.doc.pdf

It turns out horseback riding has a potential for injury on par with rugby and is riskier than auto-racing, motorcycle riding, football and skiing. In fact the "hospital admission rate associated with equestrian activity is .49/1000 hours of riding. The rate when motorcycle riding is merely .14/1000 hours." That is 3.5 times as high! Moreover, horseback riding was also found to have the highest mortality rate of all sports mentioned.

Sadly she still doesn't want to give the motorcycle a chance :(.

Now keep in mind, we are all well aware that motorcycles are dangerous. We know this without family and friends reminding us all the time. So we gear up and try to stay safe while having fun. But I won't be afraid to hit someone over the head with some perspective the next time they tell me I'm gonna die. For some reason the news just really enjoys sensationalizing the danger every time a motorcyclist dies on public roads.

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
I'd be surprised if our membership didn't adversely affect those statistics in the very near future! :cool:

Watch the new crash thread!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm curious what the difference in mortality rate among motorcyclists is between the US and Canada due to helmet laws....*more researching*

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Good one!!

I like that stat someone posted on here a couple days ago..

"100% of people who drink water die" :D

·
Registered
865 Posts
haha thats dedication! nice one!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hellooo, i thought i'd join in quickly. I ride both, the massive difference between horse riding and motorcycle riding is, if you loose control of your bike for whatever reason, bike doesn't care where it goes, tree/wall/bus/sidewalk/person etc,
if you loose control of a horse (both just as easy to loose control over, think of horses like bikes, you have your mopeds which would equal up to a nice safe cob, and your super bikes, think of an arabian or a thoroughbred, anyhoo...) chances are it's going to head for home, even if it doesn't, it's going to run away from anything that might catch it or scare it etc, including its rider.
if you come off your horse, your horse will try hard to not stand on you, it doesn't matter how you fall off and so long as it's not in some kicking frenzy, it's usually ok. your bike doesn't give a crap and will either hurtle into you or not hurtle into you.
the other big difference, people see a horse - they panic, stop, turn off their engines in some cases. so horse riders can be safe in the knowledge that other cars will probably not hit them. on a bike, other cars, as you know, generally don't give a crap.
so there are minor differences. also. horses will do about 25 - 30 as their top speed so if your fall you'll probably be ok.
from riding horses to riding bikes, the difference is quite daunting, you can't yell "steady" at your bike when it's started going mental underneith you. well, you can, but i don't think you could expect much response.
so i understand where she's coming from, she should still definitely give it a go though.
you should try horse riding? it'd be a shock to the system i think..

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Oh don't get me wrong. I've done horse riding many times, and do enjoy it. I've only ever been a casual rider though.

I understand many of your points...but I disagree with many. In particular you saying "horses will do about 25 - 30 as their top speed so if your fall you'll probably be ok." Lets not forget horses are big animals, and it is quite a fall from that height, especially if you are thrown at speed. I also wouldn't expect a horse to care what you had to say if it were really freaking out.... But the statistics at least point to it being unlikely to be stepped on at least..

This section should shed some light: "The mechanism of injury included the following: 47 (60%) patients were thrown from or fell off a horse, 12 (16%) were crushed by a falling horse, 6 (8%) were kicked, 3 (4%) were stepped on, and 10 (13%) were injured by a variety of other mechanisms. The respondents believed the horse was “spooked” in 27 (35%) cases, not fully trained for the rider’s input demands in 21 (27%) cases, had a bad temperament in 12 (15%) scenarios, or simply fell in 9 (12%) instances. Equipment failure occurred in 6% of all injuries. Rider inexperience was offered as a cause in only 5% of cases."

·
Registered
958 Posts
After reading this thread I though I'd throw something in that no one mentioned, a Ninja 300 weighs 385 lbs while horses weigh 900 to 1000 pounds. Just something to think about if you go tumbling through the gravel trap :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
After reading this thread I though I'd throw something in that no one mentioned, a Ninja 300 weighs 385 lbs while horses weigh 900 to 1000 pounds. Just something to think about if you go tumbling through the gravel trap :D
And the 900 pound beast is 1 Horsepower and the Ninja 39! :D

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Now this is an area I have experience in. I grew up owning 3 horses. I have been thrown twice! I'll take the bike anyday, Lol

·
Registered
909 Posts
I don't care how well the horse is trained. It's always unpredictable. A bike does what you tell it to. And sometimes, the horse will do whatever the hell it wants. I love Riding horses but I keep that to trails and getting into women's pants. Never fails.

But then again taking a cruise on the bike never fails either.

But I'd pick the 300 anyday. I trust myself more then a horse.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
i've never had much interest riding horses, probably because the times that i did i got stuck with a real jackass hahahaha

·
I ♥ Borat In A Thong
981 Posts
Good one!!

I like that stat someone posted on here a couple days ago..

"100% of people who drink water die" :D
That would be me. Glad someone actually reads my BS. Lol.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
I ♥ Borat In A Thong
981 Posts
Love horseback riding and love riding. I will trust a machine before beast. Beasts are unpredictable, like humans, and will do as they want. Machines only do as commanded by the operator or programming. This is coming from an animal lover who trains all his pets and also builds computers.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
993 Posts
I was raised riding, have been thrown countless times while breakin' young horses, had 3 in my life-time get away from me, only one so bad that I couldn't control it (a tree branch up his halter stopped him, luckily before I hit the tree). My considering factor to her would be, the average horse now-a-days is from 19 to 21 hands tall (unless yer into riding ponies), thats about four and a half feet to five feet at the top of the back. Your ninja is only 30 inches from the ground. Thats like 3 feet lower, and to boot, It won't buck you off for kicking it in the sides, or something like a hand/bird/butterfly/stick/lead or reign going by its eyes. Albeit you are usually on dirt while riding a horse, but sometimes it is as hard as pavement. And another good point would be, your ninja don't bite! and has no behaving issues, sometimes horses act like children! Your ninja won't step on you, knock you sideways getting to its food, kick you or smack you in the face with its poopy tail while yer cleaning it off! LOL... and you don't have to worry about it getting cold, or wet or going hungry if you don't pay it any attention for a week or a month. Ok so i'm rambling...if she don't won't to ride, then find one that does! ROFL...just kiddin'

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I read that whole post like Captain Malcolm Reynolds from Firefly haha.

Lol but no worries. I already have a few friends who are lookin forward to going to a lil ride. Who knows, she could still come around, but it's really her loss in the end if she doesn't. :)

·
Registered
923 Posts
Now keep in mind, we are all well aware that motorcycles are dangerous.
Actually, it's not the bike that's dangerous...it's all those cagers hitting the bikes, that are dangerous. If no cages were on the road and it were all just bikes, there would be far fewer fatalities. I'm sure she drives a cage... She's dangerous! With that being said her horse IS dangerous...eliminating others in the surroundings or not.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 51 Posts