Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys this stuff has been around for a while but just wanted to share this stuff here at our forums. This stuff works miracles. Cleans, lubes and seals all in one. Perfect for lazy asses like myself. I hear nothing but good stuff about this from the internet and my buddies who swear by this stuff. 5bucks at lowes. Oh and it's O-ring safe!

·
Registered
865 Posts
whats the consistency of this? is it like normal chain lube thats waxy and stays on or is it more like wd-40?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its more like wd-40 but jus a little little bit more thicker. My buddies use this stuff every 500 miles and their chains and sprockets seriously last forever. Normal chain lube does not even compare to this stuff. Main point is its simplicity of use. Just point (if its really dirty a little brushing) wipe off and you're done :) It does really well of repelling dirt and gunk.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Its more like wd-40 but jus a little little bit more thicker. My buddies use this stuff every 500 miles and their chains and sprockets seriously last forever. Normal chain lube does not even compare to this stuff. Main point is its simplicity of use. Just point (if its really dirty a little brushing) wipe off and you're done :) It does really well of repelling dirt and gunk.

Nope. My bad. I thought it was originally the cleaner and lube in one. The cleaner portions in a lot of these will work like CLP and penetrate and break grease down. But as just a spray on lube with a teflon coat is awesome. Teflon though isn't very durable, but it's resistance to water is nice. Although if you are using it to clean as well, I would reapply a fresh coat after wiping off the grime. This will ensure you keep that thin film on the chain that you may wipe off.

·
Registered
865 Posts
hmmm idk... i like something a bit thicker, something that'll stay on the chain and protect it. this sounds like it'll fling off pretty easily.
I'll stick to chain lube lol its just as cheap and made specifically, otherwise they'd just say... dont use chain lube, just use some handy wd-40 lol

Speaking on penitrants btw... check out fluid film. I would not use it on chains that have bearings, just because of the reasons above, but its a wax based penitrant, and is DAMN GOOD!!! I mean its prob the best damn penitrant oil I have ever used! And because of the wax, it stays on there so you can spray it on and leave it there to protect against rust and corrosion. I spray my car down with it just for that purpose.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
hmmm idk... i like something a bit thicker, something that'll stay on the chain and protect it. this sounds like it'll fling off pretty easily.
I'll stick to chain lube lol its just as cheap and made specifically, otherwise they'd just say... dont use chain lube, just use some handy wd-40 lol

Speaking on penitrants btw... check out fluid film. I would not use it on chains that have bearings, just because of the reasons above, but its a wax based penitrant, and is DAMN GOOD!!! I mean its prob the best damn penitrant oil I have ever used! And because of the wax, it stays on there so you can spray it on and leave it there to protect against rust and corrosion. I spray my car down with it just for that purpose.
This stuff sticks real well. It's a penetrating lube. But it's a lube and not a degreaser, so I wouldn't worry too much about it trying to kill the grease on the other side of the O-ring. WD-40 and CLP would probably murder a motorcycle chain though. Since it's highly penetrative and degreaser in base. This stuff should not sling off very much at all if you give it a chance to set for a bit before letting it rip.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
That used to be the best until they changed the formula. The previous dry wax formula was better. Not as good since they changed it. I think their bike/chain/whatever specific formula in the yellow can is the same or very close to their old formula (probably more expensive though). What made it good was that it dried nearly instantaneously so no worries of spraying off afterwards. If you can still find some cans of the old formula around, grab it! The can will say "dry wax formula."

·
Registered
74 Posts
just got a 3 step chain maintenance prosess by maxima racing oils.maximausa.com had to order it from local kawasaki dealer.its called mppl chain care kit,it comes in a 3 pack 3 spray cans,1 chain cleaner, spray on wash off with water no brushing needed . 2 specialty lube,drives chain lube deep into the rollers and side plates.3 100%synthetic chain lube goes on clear and stays clean.i like this system a lot.lets ride....

·
Registered
487 Posts
Yep. I use the DuPont Chain Saver (yellow aerosol can - $7 Walmart) along with the DuPont Motorcycle Degreaser (red aerosol can - $7 Walmart). The combo gets the job done. Don't bother with the droplet bottles of the Chain Saver, the lube just drips out when the bottle is inverted.

It's been a while since I ran out of the original formulation of the Multi-Use :(

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
That used to be the best until they changed the formula. The previous dry wax formula was better. Not as good since they changed it. I think their bike/chain/whatever specific formula in the yellow can is the same or very close to their old formula (probably more expensive though). What made it good was that it dried nearly instantaneously so no worries of spraying off afterwards. If you can still find some cans of the old formula around, grab it! The can will say "dry wax formula."
^ This

The can in OP's photo is not recommended for use on chains anymore.

I use the yellow Chain Saver can. Works well :)

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
^ This

The can in OP's photo is not recommended for use on chains anymore.

I use the yellow Chain Saver can. Works well :)
Quoted directly off DuPont's product website.

http://www2.dupont.com/Consumer_Lubricants/en_US/products/lubricants.html

DuPont™ Teflon™ Multi-Use Lubricant

A superior multi-use lubricant featuring proprietary self-cleaning technology. Lubricates without attracting grit and grime, eliminates squeaks, prevents rust and protects moving parts. Lasts up to 3 to 5 times longer in friction testing against other leading lubricants.
Goes on wet to deeply penetrate and loosen frozen or rusted parts
Sets up to a clean, dry, wax film which will not absorb dirt or grime
Patented self-cleaning technology sheds contaminants to minimize or prevent abrasive wear
Highly resistant to water wash-off, and won’t fling off
Water repelling, helps protect against rust and corrosion
Contains no silicones that may interfere with paints and finishes

Applications:
Motorcycle, ATV and go-kart chains (o-ring safe and no fling-off)
Garage and overhead door chains, springs, rollers and tracks
Hinges, windows, sliding tracks, locks and latches
Winches, hitches, ramps, pivots, cams and pulleys
Threaded parts and rusted bolts
Heavy duty zippers
Firearms, fishing reels, RC vehicles and bicycle chains
Table saws, hand tools, wood working tools and folding knives
Lawn and garden tools and equipment
Industrial chains (fork lifts, conveyors, stackers, etc.)
NSF H-2 Listed

Can withstand temperatures up to 300°F (149°C)
MSDS: 11047PP
Now granted. They have dedicated chain lube. It would be better to just buy that since it's actually a little cheaper to buy. But if you already have a can of this stuff, then it shouldn't be an issue till you run out and can get the can of chain lube.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
this is yet another topic that everyone has their own opinions on.
At the moment im using Silkolene Chain Lube.
The best chain lube i have ever owned i installed on my vfr800. it was a scottoiler, magic kit. the oil for it is a bit on the expensive side, so when you run out, use oil for chainsaw chains and your good as gold

this is the one i had, worked a treat
http://www.scottoiler.com/uk/vsystem/vsystem.html

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Anything designed to lube chains will do fine. Use what you want and there shouldn't be any issues. Just use a little trial and error and things should be fine. If it works out for you, awesome. If it doesn't perform quite to what you want, try another.

DuPont makes some awesome chemicals. They are one of the best in the world when it comes to formulated purpose built chemicals and products.

I personally use PJ1 blue label chain lube and Motul Chain cleaner. The Motul is a strong degreaser, but it's formula is too thick to get past the O-ring. The best thing I love about it, is that it doesn't require wiping off or rinsing off when done. Takes 5 minutes to dry based on temperature and I can immediately spray on the lube. The PJ1 if you spray and let it set, doesn't sling off and doesn't leave a colored film. I also like it because it penetrates well into rubber and keeps the o-ring seals lubricated and prevents it from drying out and cracking.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Quoted directly off DuPont's product website.

http://www2.dupont.com/Consumer_Lubricants/en_US/products/lubricants.html

Now granted. They have dedicated chain lube. It would be better to just buy that since it's actually a little cheaper to buy. But if you already have a can of this stuff, then it shouldn't be an issue till you run out and can get the can of chain lube.
The problem is their website is out of date. Notice the picture of the can on the right side, it's of the old "dry wax" formula. The label on the new can no longer mentions chains in the list of applications.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
The problem is their website is out of date. Notice the picture of the can on the right side, it's of the old "dry wax" formula. The label on the new can no longer mentions chains in the list of applications.
It doesn't have the Dry Wax anymore but still says it's fine for o-ring chains. Here is their updated page for the product.

http://www2.dupont.com/Consumer_Lubricants/en_US/products/multi_use_lubricant.html

It doesn't have the picture of the chain anymore but it specifically mentions that it works for chains. Like I said, if you already have a can of this stuff. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
I don't know. I personally prefer a more dry lube than a wax. That dry lube type I feel penetrates better than the wax.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts