Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I just rode my ninja 300 S.E for the first time to the insurance agency so they can take pics, well the agency is located in one of San Francisco's busiest streets. I felt nervous taking it out on busy street on my first ride but I had too so my dad agreed to follow me i case something happened and to give me some confidence. I geared up got ready and started the bike I did great at first got to the insurance agency they took a pic so far so good. My dad told me hey why not go practice it a little bit more i agreed and decided to follow him to work this is where the Stall hit me I was arriving at an intersection pulled the clutch and ......prr prr bike turned of I lost my balance bike went to the right I managed to get a foot down but it was too late to pull it it up again so I gently let it fall with my guidance like I was setting it down to rest. Luckily the guy behind me help me picked it up no scratches nothing still like new after that is we're i let the nervousness get to me and I had all sorts of trouble stopping and going also got my jeans stuck in foot peg a couple of times but managed to get it out that stall kinda made me lose some confidence but as I was getting home I regained some of it and even though that happened that was a great ride I will keep on practicing stopping and going also shifting and downshifting more smoothly any tips on that stall? And stopping and going?

·
Registered
90 Posts
All I can say , need more practice . Did you take any MSF course ?

I'm newbie for motorcycle , after finished and got M1 with MSF course , I can ride very smoothly from start to end , slow to fast .....

·
Registered
392 Posts
You can try increasing your idle. Seemed to take care of the stall in mine.
You could do this for now until you become a more confident rider and\or kawasaki comes up with a fix.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
All I can say , need more practice . Did you take any MSF course ?

I'm newbie for motorcycle , after finished and got M1 with MSF course , I can ride very smoothly from start to end , slow to fast .....
Yea I did take the msf problem is my instructors went really fast, cornering and everything else was piece of cake just menuvering slowly was kinda bad not the mention the box.. I was doing everything smooth until it stalled then I started to get nervous at stop signs and yes I agree I do need more practice .

·
Registered
958 Posts
A stall complicates things when you are first learning to ride. You know there are other things than a bike problem that can cause a stall though...like slowing down in too high a gear to the point the engine lugs, then shuts off. I doubt that was the problem cause there would be a lot of engine strain and lugging of the engine before it happened. Does sound like the Ninja 300 stall.

I hesitate to mention this cause they are completely different bikes, but the 2012 Zero S electric bike had stall issues too. Different problem of course since there is no clutch and the motor is electric, but anyway, after a few people reported it, Zero came up with a fix by downloading new firmware (software) that fixed everything. Of course those are $15,000+ bikes. That is the issue we are facing because the Ninja 300 is a relatively cheap bike. Someone over at Kawa is doing a cost benefit analysis on this to decide whether they should let it slide or do a recall and fix thousands of bikes. I suspect they already have a fix. As I have mentioned before, companies seem to come up with new maps to address these kinds of problems with any of the expensive bikes. When they do decide to do the right thing, it will involve hooking your bike up to a laptop at the dealer for about 15 minutes to replace the faulty map. That's how they do it with every other modern bike.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A stall complicates things when you are first learning to ride. You know there are other things than a bike problem that can cause a stall though...like slowing down in too high a gear to the point the engine lugs, then shuts off. I doubt that was the problem cause there would be a lot of engine strain and lugging of the engine before it happened. Does sound like the Ninja 300 stall.

I hesitate to mention this cause they are completely different bikes, but the 2012 Zero S electric bike had stall issues too. Different problem of course since there is no clutch and the motor is electric, but anyway, after a few people reported it, Zero came up with a fix by downloading new firmware (software) that fixed everything. Of course those are $15,000+ bikes. That is the issue we are facing because the Ninja 300 is a relatively cheap bike. Someone over at Kawa is doing a cost benefit analysis on this to decide whether they should let it slide or do a recall and fix thousands of bikes. I suspect they already have a fix. As I have mentioned before, companies seem to come up with new maps to address these kinds of problems with any of the expensive bikes. When they do decide to do the right thing, it will involve hooking your bike up to a laptop at the dealer for about 15 minutes to replace the faulty map. That's how they do it with every other modern bike.
Yea that stall messed with my confidence a little would have ridden it more if it wasent for that stall but after that i got nercous and decided to head back home and Wow didnt know that's how they did it kinda like fixing iphone bugs lol and well hopeful they roll out that fix and yea the dealer that like 2 blocks from my house just started selling Zeros and I did not know they where that expensive! tougth they where a little more cheap in the 9,000- 11,000$ range

·
Registered
80 Posts
Okay let me join the club, I got my bike yesterday and have out 30 miles till now. Today as I slowed down at a traffic light, I think I was in 3rd or 4th Gear and held the clutch for 2-3 second to slowdown, brake and change gears for me to make the left turn. The motor got turned off, I immediately started it again shifted the gears and managed not o stop.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Practice will take care of that stalling issue. However something I feel that doesn't get mentioned as much should be your attitude. I'm a firm believer that if you tell yourself you're going to be fine, usually you will be. Don't let your nerves get to you because that's when the mistakes happen. Realize you've got a lot to learn, but get in the mindset that you'll get it straight and things will flow naturally. Mind over matter. Keep the positive thoughts flowing!

Reactions: PandaRacer415

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay let me join the club, I got my bike yesterday and have out 30 miles till now. Today as I slowed down at a traffic light, I think I was in 3rd or 4th Gear and held the clutch for 2-3 second to slowdown, brake and change gears for me to make the left turn. The motor got turned off, I immediately started it again shifted the gears and managed not o stop.
That's exactly what happened to me but I was not expecting it because everything was smooth came by suprise lost ma balance put foot down the gently put the bike down lol thankfully not a single scratch. after that It was smooth I was just nervous from what happened and was expecting it again

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Practice will take care of that stalling issue. However something I feel that doesn't get mentioned as much should be your attitude. I'm a firm believer that if you tell yourself you're going to be fine, usually you will be. Don't let your nerves get to you because that's when the mistakes happen. Realize you've got a lot to learn, but get in the mindset that you'll get it straight and things will flow naturally. Mind over matter. Keep the positive thoughts flowing!
True thank you for you input and yea I'm going to practice whenever I have time gonna keep it on low density streets for now.

·
Registered
80 Posts
That's exactly what happened to me but I was not expecting it because everything was smooth came by suprise lost ma balance put foot down the gently put the bike down lol thankfully not a single scratch. after that It was smooth I was just nervous from what happened and was expecting it again
I have faced this issues before with other bikes (100-125cc) adjusting idling might help. Also does your bike sputters when you start it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts