Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received my Drift HD Ghost a couple of days ago.

Rode around the city and took some shots

http://youtu.be/9Ufc_p_8HQs

In case anyone was curious to know how the quality is.

Overall I am very happy with the product.

Got the Drift Ghost with
-Mic
-Additional Battery
-Suction Mount
-Wall/Car Charger

All for about $425 shipped to NY

·
Registered
428 Posts
Nice video! Driving in NYC traffic looks pretty stressful...

What made you decide on the Drift HD Ghost over something like the Contour or GoPro?

·
Fast Lane Ukraine
1,343 Posts
Love the city.

And driving is different, yes. You have to have a certain personality to compete with all of the taxi's and livery vehicles lol. But, once you get used to it it's a breeze.

OP, is lane splitting legal in NYC/NY? I'm up in the capital, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone lane split up here.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Looks good! Mine should be in tomorrow :)

Love the city.

And driving is different, yes. You have to have a certain personality to compete with all of the taxi's and livery vehicles lol. But, once you get used to it it's a breeze.

OP, is lane splitting legal in NYC/NY? I'm up in the capital, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone lane split up here.
Negative. California is the only US state that allows lane splitting.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah it's not legal in New York but I've seen plently of riders do it regardless.I do it too but not as aggressively, if that makes sense. I have lane split in front of cops and never got pulled over or received a ticket for it. However my friend told me he got yelled by a cop once.:rolleyes:

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice video! Driving in NYC traffic looks pretty stressful...

What made you decide on the Drift HD Ghost over something like the Contour or GoPro?
I chose the Drift Ghost over the GoPro because I have read about many problems related to the software/firmware in the GoPro Hero 3. If you look at Amazon, they are alot of semi to negative reviews complaining about this issue.

IMO the Drift Ghost has a sleeker/stealth look compared to the GoPro. Also it comes with a remote with LED lighting, and has the longest lasting battery life.

Oh, and the fact that I pretty much received the accessories for free with a coupon code sold me as well.:)

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
506 Posts
Man, I don't think I can buy the Drift despite me lusting for it so much. It just costs too much at the moment.

You can buy 2 contours and a bunch of mounts for half the price of one Drift Ghost right now. But that footage was crisp !

·
Registered
295 Posts
Great clip mate. Post more when you get a chance. I am saving my $$ for the ghost. I Like the way its got a built in screen, is waterproof out of the box, and can use an app on my android phone to act as a viewing. Price should come down a little in the near future. Good choice.

Love your brave riding style. Check out this video of the mad Russian on a R1 (thanks "Cruizin") who has an extreme lane splitting style!.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I was so close to purchasing the Go Pro Hero3 but when I ran into the Drift Ghost HD I fell in love.

Its not as noticeable as the Go Pro Hero3, built-in display, and I got a deal with accessories as well.

Check out my YouTube link in my signature for some night time riding shots.

nyboy, do you know which Mic you get?

I purchased a microphone from Drift but I had to get an adapter, which wasn't a big deal but the only complaint I have when it comes to Drift, maybe they haven't released a microphone for the Ghost HD but the adapter was like 3$ so isn't a big deal like I said.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I'm leaning toward the Drift HD Ghost now, I was looking at a GoPro Hero3 black, but it has too many negative reviews, and the battery life on the Ghost seems to last a lot longer.

·
Fast Lane Ukraine
1,343 Posts
Here is a good comparison test:

I have the Hero3 Black but it seems like the Drift Ghost has lesser audio quality but better video quality. Since I'm likely going to VLog once I get my bike, I'll sacrifice a little video for better audio.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Ordered lol....416 shipped (bought 32gb sd/spare battery with it)

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
One thing to note, you can't stick a Drift on your helmet's chinbar for a centered-view. There's really no way to get a centered-view with a Drift, and you're stuck putting it on top or on the side of your helmet. Aerodynamic, but not my first-choice of view as a vlogger or a viewer.

With a GoPro, you get a centered-view because you can easily-mount the GoPro on your helmet's chinbar, and it's well out of the way. For my tastes, no other camera right now can touch the GoPro because of this fact. Cameras will get smaller, though, but as long as they're in a 'tube' shape they won't work for chinbar-mounted applications. GoPro cameras will continue to get smaller, and this is going to be a serious-consideration for the chinbar-mount location, which is one of the most natural views you can have. Some people use cameras wedged inside their helmets, but this comes with issues with blocked vision (partially or not) and it limits your shield choices.

The GoPro also has really solid audio, with noise-reduction (amazing for vlogging when using an external mic).

I'm not knocking the Drift, just that its body shape limits where you can put it. I prefer a centered-view for my vlogging and the GoPro is perfect for that.

The firmware is better these days and they've just release a new update. The biggest problem for me (lately) has been trying to power on or off with the remote. This can result in a lock requiring a reset of the battery. Annoying, but it's intermittent and I am sure they'll fix it. These days, I don't try to turn the GoPro on or off with the remote.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.