Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
I am really tempted to go to my dealership and tell them I have absolutely no intentions of buying a 636 and then asking them if I can still take a test ride.

·
Banned
277 Posts
The old 636 was well liked during its day and some shops were seeing rwhp numbers approaching 120. I never like the styling in the old one but the new one really does look way better.
I'm ordering another bike when I leave Germany and I had zero intentions of picking up a 600 until now. We'll see.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I've ridden the 2013 ZX-6R a few times. I freakin' love it. When I move to a middleweight, this bike is among the top 2 or 3 I'd consider.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
You really can't go wrong with the 600 class bikes. R6, gsxr 600, cbr 600, or 636. All great bikes. I chose the gsxr. But most are great. For city driving you will never see 5th n 6th gear though.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
205 Posts
In a couple of years..or longer maybe.
I will jump up onto one of these. They seem like fun, I simply lack the skill to back it up.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
The hilarious thing is that those who moved up to an R1 or ZX-10/14 say the 636 has almost no torque down low and you gotta get on it to go lol. Apparently if it doesn't have launch control (which the new ZX-6r does I believe,) to keep you from turning your bike into a missile, it doesn't have enough low down torque. Hell, rode a friend's old CBR600RR and I have it too much bike for practical use. I was breaking the speed limit in second gear in almost no time at all. I don't see how you can have fun legally with a bike like that on public roads. Gotta track it to get the most out of it without risking an impound or getting creamed by another driver.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Hell, rode a friend's old CBR600RR and I have it too much bike for practical use. I was breaking the speed limit in second gear in almost no time at all. I don't see how you can have fun legally with a bike like that on public roads. Gotta track it to get the most out of it without risking an impound or getting creamed by another driver.
And that my friend is why the 300 is a blast to ride.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
And that my friend is why the 300 is a blast to ride.

Exactly. I love the fact that I can ride it to red line and still be legal. It's fast enough to get out of the way without being over engineered for the street. I know a lot of my friends who moved onto bigger bikes, almost all of them were contemplating getting a ninja 250 a few years ago just to have something small to ride the hell out of rather than concentrating on keeping their super and hyper sports out of felony speed ranges.

·
Premium Member
12,370 Posts
What a machine! No idea why they even have gears.. 3rd pulls from nothing to eternity.. Endless, seamless, torque all the way!
this is one thing i really miss from the larger CC bikes i have owned, the gob fulls of torque . but its sure a lot of fun dancing on the gear leaver to get the 300 to have fun with

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
That bike is so bad ass... how does it compare to the 300
Without stating the obvious, here are a few things that stood out:

1. The bike felt planted to the ground. It was a really windy day (you can hear it on the video) and I was getting tossed left and right on the highway on my 300. Not the case with the 636.

2. Clutch feels exactly like the 300. I didn't have to look for the friction zone. Buttery smooth shifting. Not jerky in low RPMs (god I hate that).

3. Seat height is up there, I have a 30" inseam and I was on my toes. Had to sit on one butt cheek to flat foot on one side lol.

4. Really aggressive body position, more than a 600RR, felt like 90% of my weight were on the front wheel.

5. It's a great bike, but not something I would use for daily commuting. I'll keep the 300 for that :)

6. I missed working the gears like my 300. You can launch the damn thing on 3rd gear and it would still pull.

What type of license do u have? I have the m2 can I still test ride it?
M2. M is preffered but not required. It's up to them if they'll let you on or not. They did ask me what I ride and for how long. So, YMMV.

·
Premium Member
12,370 Posts
4. Really aggressive body position, more than a 600RR, felt like 90% of my weight were on the front wheel.
very typical of a sports bike this riding position. this is why i have said many times the 300 off the show room floor feels very much like a sports tourer with the layed back riding position & even more so with bar risers

1 - 20 of 30 Posts