Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 300 about a week ago. I have yet to bring it home. The roads are extremely salty and for all intents and purposes its still winter here.:( I'm just trying to find some info on battery tender installations to make me a little more comfortable bringing it home and letting it sit for another month or so. Do I have to remove fairings? Is there a way to set it up so that all I have to do is plug it in on these remaining freezing nights? I'm a noob. This is my first bike. I'm just looking for a good install step by step.

·
Registered
392 Posts
On my old bike it was routed from the battery to under the back seat where the connectors lived. I would take off my rear seat when i park it in my garage and plug it in and leave it over night.

I used this model: http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-0128-Plus-Charger/dp/B00068XCQU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364574517&sr=8-1&keywords=battery+tender+plus+charger

It may be over kill and you could probably get away with using the "junior" version of this and its maybe 10 bucks less. I just went for the nicer one. I would probably atleast once a week start it up still and let it warm up to keep all the liquids in the bike circulated.

Reactions: Shields

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
The dealership routed the leads for a battery tender/charger free of charge and without asking. The leads come out down under the rear seat and out to the right side of the bike and are wrapped around near the rear passenger foot pegs. It's a pretty convenient location and allows me to plug a tender in without having to remove fairings or the rear seat. I just need to get a tender/charger and live in a place that actually needs it. Never leave the bike alone long enough to really need it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
You'll have to remove the seat to access the battery which includes removing some panels. The plug in mine is accessed through the storage area.

Also, I doubt you will let it sit for a month without riding it:)

·
Registered
74 Posts
did mine in 15 mi.take small panels under each side of seat remove the seat 1 screw on each side hook up tender to btry.run it under seat to your storage when needed unlock your storage and plug in your tender. lets ride....

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for your impute. I called the dealership to order a cover. While on the phone with the parts guy it finally occurred to me to ask lol. He told me if I'm buying a bike from them then it should all be set up already. The lines to the battery run into the storage. So now I just need to pick a tender. Any advice on that? Seen that some are just below an amp and others are 1.5 amps. Thanks for the sugestion htcevolee I was looking at that same one.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Yes, it is better to start it up and ride it a bit whenever you get a nice sunny day, even if it is cold. Otherwise the gears never get lubricated and the fuel can develop varnish and foul your injectors. Because I do this, I never use a battery tender, although I live in Texas and we don't really have winter. Still with a bunch of bikes, I do this to each bike even if I don't plan on riding long. Of course that also charges up the battery. Even when I lived in Montana, I never used a tender in the winter. A lot of problems start with the words: "I hadn't ridden the bike in a while and when I started it up....."

1 - 7 of 7 Posts