Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any advice on how to properly upshift/downshift for guys who are new to manuals?

i haven't done anything dangerous to screw it up or cause problems, i'd merely like technique pointers to avoid aquiring bad habits before it could become an issue is all.

theoretically i know to properly shift, but i'd like advice on how to do so properly, and more importantly, safely, e.g. bikes, like my car, are rear-wheel driven, therefore i avoid braking/severe acceleration on the entrance to a corner... does that mean i should avoid any kind of shifting while actually in the corner too (meaning all upshifting/downshifting should be done before actually entering the corner?) or is it ok, within reason, to manipulate the transmission? i know downshifting at a terribly high rate of speed/rpm is not only mechanically unsound but can lead to a dangerous situation, i just wish to merely aquire the knowledge of capabilities...

call my question an 'ounce of prevention' as it were.

· Registered
562 Posts
I don't have any real advice for just riding down the road (heck, if you're not chunking it into gear without using the clutch, go for it), but you should avoid decelerating in the corners. Shifting in corners is fine as long as it's to maintain speed or accelerate.

· Banned
1,753 Posts
I us the top of my foot, about 2-3" behind where the toes join the foot, for upshifting. It gives a more positive contact and motion.

Move your foot from at rest, being on the balls of your feet, to the position for braking/shifting when you need it.

I ride with 2 fingers on the brake now that I got it working closer to my liking, 2-3 fingers on the clutch all the time.

Elbows more up than level, eyes looking where you want to go.

As you learn you can try upshifting thru corners, for now use a gear that will pull you all the way thru, or slow down a bit. Either up or down shifts can be done during cornering but for most street riding you won't need to except at parking lot speeds.

Practice 1st and 2nd gear circles while slipping the clutch and dragging the rear brake. Shoot for full lock syeering and fluid, smooth clutch slip and brake drag. Start with bigger circles and get tighter as you feel comfortable.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.