Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Caused by target fixation in additional to using the brake (which stands the bike up and going wider)?

Warning: This may be a little disturbing to watch.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Ah yes, the rider shown here and I are friends on Facebook. We've been talking about this there (and on the YouTube channel) and although Brian (the rider shown here) claims it was wind...I think it was also rider-error and probably some target fixation too. Most experienced riders would just lean hard into a gust of wind and not let this happen...and on an R6 the bike should never be blown quite this much. The worst wind I experienced was in SoCal on the 57 freeway overpass near Anaheim stadium, but I was on a light little Ninja 250 and the wind actually blew me enough to chirp my tire. On larger and heavier bikes, the effect can be strong but is not quite so dramatic...or nothing you can't resist if you really try. Then again, if I'm riding for fun and it's that windy I'm probably gonna end the ride early.

So yeah....maybe wind, but I'm thinking mostly rider error or an under-reaction to wind combined with some target fixation.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I don't know about this instance, But one day I was on the Duc coming back from watching an ARHMA race at Willow. Got to the top of the pass and a gust of wind stood me up in a corner doing about 90 mph. It can happen really quick and you have to go from very little input into the bike to 100% in a fraction of a second. (if) a gust of wind took him by surprise, I feel his Sunday ride casual attitude, wasn't in his favor...
This is why I don't ride street anymore, Esp. the canyons... very little room for error, too many videos like this...

·
Registered
221 Posts
Looked to me like a bit of target fixation as @Spacep0d said, and things happening too fast for him to fix them. Also I'll bet he pushed the bike to lean over underneath him with his body upright - like we all do in a panic until such time we have trained ourselves not to.

Still, he survived and will know better for next time. Brave of him to put it before the 'net, too.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Crazy...I saw this same youtube video in the MSF course. The instructor stated that it seems target fixation was a huge factor in this accident. The rider did not seem to be looking through the turn and was not actively counter steering by pushing the right handle enough to swerve out of the oncoming traffic.

Ride aware my friends. Let's get to our destinations safely.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts