Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once again, I'm a noob and this is my first bike. I'm still having licensing issues (joys of the military), so the bike has been sitting in the friggin garage for the last couple of days. I've started it about 5 times and let it run for a few minutes each time, but later in the evening - probably 5 or 6 hours after running - the tank makes an audible, short high pitch whistling sound about every 3 minutes. It stops once i pop the tank. Is this an issue or is it normal? I know pressure has to be released from the tank from time to time, but i figured this wouldn't be an issue as it doesn't even have a mile on it.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Perfectly normal. My 250r and 650r did the same thing. No, you do not have to release any pressure. It can't hurt a thing. It could be worse. The Vespa makes groaning sounds. It's the evaporation system equalizing pressure between the gas tank and outside air through the carbon canister. Where they don't have polution control equipment, there are no gas tank noises. Just leave your gas cap closed. It can't hurt anything.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Its crying cause you have the new bike next to it....its jeleous:D
Hahahahahaa! You just made me laugh out loud in my class. So embarrassing!

Just got back from a 350km ride and myn has been crying for me to get back on her every few minutes, for a couple hours now, I opened up the tank to try to release any pressure still in there, didn't solve the problem!!
Releasing the pressure by popping the top doesn't always help it. The pressure won't always reach an equilibrium point after 10 seconds.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I have never heard it while riding, not even on my 250R... It can be fixed by installing an aftermarket gas cap, but those do not lock.. There also a post on the 250R forum about a guy drilling a hole in his factory gas cap and it fixed the issue, others tried to copy what he did and not everyone had the same luck, worked for maybe half of the people that did it..

·
Registered
248 Posts
This was my response from kawasaki Australia

Kawasaki Motors Australia Hi Ash - Please read the response below from our Technical Services Department: With regards to the ninja 300 whistle, this is entirely normal. There are 2 valves in the fuel cap, one that allows air to enter the fuel tank and one that allows air to escape. This is to allow for expansion and contraction of the fuel tank.

When you park the bike up at night time, the radiated heat from the engine rises and causes the tank to expand and the air is released out through the onw way tank breather valve, but once the tank cools down the opposite occurs. All bikes have a fuel tank cap breather system so as the tank is not distorted and the fuel supply will remain constant and unaffected.

Kawasaki Motors Australia Ash - if you continue to feel concerned about this occurring on your bike, please give your local dealer a call: http://www.kawasaki.com.au/dealers/find-a-dealer

·
Registered
40 Posts
This is a completely normal sound. It is the pressure in the tank venting through the check valve in the fuel cap. It would not be audible while riding, and in any case while the engine is running there should be negative pressure in the tank as the fuel is being used up. This sound only happens when the tank is warmed by engine heat after stopping the bike or from ambient temperature rising and causing a pressure differential in the fuel tank.

·
I ♥ Borat In A Thong
981 Posts
I think it was the first or second night after I got my bike, I went out to the garage to write down my bike information in the manual (pointless, I know, but I don't rely on companies to hold valuable information for me) and I heard what sounded like a cat meowing sadly, like as if it were stuck somewhere. I searched every time I heard it and couldn't find it, so I had my German Shepherd look around and all he did was look at me like I was an idiot. I bring the girlfriend out there and she starts getting spooked about the sound.

Turns out it was the bike, doing exactly what you guys said. I just came to the conclusion that the bike was crying cause it wanted me to ride more.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.