Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

As some of you know, just a few days ago I took delivery of a new Ninja 300 ABS KRT. Since then I have already been viewing some accessories. I have actually purchased the larger Kawasaki windshield as I did want a little more protection and will be installing it today.

But what I also purchased was the " TANK and KNEE PAD SET ". It does look like a quality set and should provide good protection. But I am just not sure that I want to immediately put it on. Thus, I would like to know if anybody else out there has the same set and their opinions of it :shrug.001: :question:

·
Registered
914 Posts
Can't speak for exactly the Kawasaki set, but they're all pretty much the same. That said, I consider it a staple upgrade for bikes. It allows for better control and comfort while braking and leaning. And it helps train new riders to hold on to the bike with their knees and not a handlebar death-grip. So definitely install it. Just make sure to use 3M Adhesion Primer when you do and be meticulous with application.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can't speak for exactly the Kawasaki set, but they're all pretty much the same. That said, I consider it a staple upgrade for bikes. It allows for better control and comfort while braking and leaning. And it helps train new riders to hold on to the bike with their knees and not a handlebar death-grip. So definitely install it. Just make sure to use 3M Adhesion Primer when you do and be meticulous with application.

Thank you for the help. I never thought of the 3M Adhesion Primer and actually never heard of it.

But I still just can not convince myself to install the pads. I have been riding since they invented dirt. And at my age, I know that I will not be pushing the bike to its limits. Just want to get out on some country roads and enjoy this lite, sport bike ride.

I have the 2017 Kawasaki ABS KRT model. The color scheme on this bike looks awesome and I am just not sure I want to spoil it with another decal / pad kit. I paid $45.00 for the kit and may just sell it for whatever somebody offers me. :shrug.001:

But once again, than you for your help as it is greatly appreciated. :smile2:

·
Registered
914 Posts
I actually learned about installing some StompGrip tanks pads, and I've been using it all the time ever since. You can see it used here. Basically it helps keep the pad from peeling up at the edges if the surface isn't great for adhesion. It's especially good at curved angled.

That said, if you don't like the idea of them, or they don't look aesthetically pleasing to you, don't install them. They are just a minor convenience - on par with a gear indicator. You certainly don't need 'em. You can always just sell them on Ebay and put the money to better use for your vice fund ;).le

·
Registered
268 Posts
But I still just can not convince myself to install the pads. I have been riding since they invented dirt. And at my age, I know that I will not be pushing the bike to its limits. Just want to get out on some country roads and enjoy this lite, sport bike ride.

:
I have always had some sort of tank pad on my bikes so my zipper or buttons don’t scratch up the tank. Sometimes it takes time to find the right one that matches the colors and scheme.

As far as “pushing it”; I didn’t think a whole lot about the side pads until I almost fell off my FZ1 when my knee slipped off the tank in a turn. :surprise: and I wasn’t even close to pushing it. I was just tooling around some twisties and my nicely polished tank made my knee slide right off. :blink: Major pucker factor. Now everything has Techspec on it.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I actually learned about installing some StompGrip tanks pads, and I've been using it all the time ever since. You can see it used here. Basically it helps keep the pad from peeling up at the edges if the surface isn't great for adhesion. It's especially good at curved angled.

That said, if you don't like the idea of them, or they don't look aesthetically pleasing to you, don't install them. They are just a minor convenience - on par with a gear indicator. You certainly don't need 'em. You can always just sell them on Ebay and put the money to better use for your vice fund ;).le

Well its like this ! My wife has stated that she thinks the bike looks great and the tank pads would be a bit much and ruin the look. Thus, " I " have decided to not put the tank pads on. :signlol:
Also, I am already pondering over a gear indicator. Time will tell on that decision.

And I do have many other vices. :grin2:

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have always had some sort of tank pad on my bikes so my zipper or buttons don’t scratch up the tank. Sometimes it takes time to find the right one that matches the colors and scheme.

As far as “pushing it”; I didn’t think a whole lot about the side pads until I almost fell off my FZ1 when my knee slipped off the tank in a turn. :surprise: and I wasn’t even close to pushing it. I was just tooling around some twisties and my nicely polished tank made my knee slide right off. :blink: Major pucker factor. Now everything has Techspec on it.

Had the 300 out for a 100 mile ride yesterday and another 100 mile ride today. Just love this bike and it is so much more fun to ride than any other bike that I have every owned and I have owned or ridden just about all that are out there.

But just in the two days that I have been out on it, tend to agree with you in regards to your statement of zippers or buttons scratching the tank. I have even become nervous about just my Levi's causing slight blemishes to the tank. With that said, tomorrow I will at least be adding the center tank pad. Not sure yet about the side pads, but definitely the center pad goes on. :iagree:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Had the 300 out for a 100 mile ride yesterday and another 100 mile ride today. Just love this bike and it is so much more fun to ride than any other bike that I have every owned and I have owned or ridden just about all that are out there.

But just in the two days that I have been out on it, tend to agree with you in regards to your statement of zippers or buttons scratching the tank. I have even become nervous about just my Levi's causing slight blemishes to the tank. With that said, tomorrow I will at least be adding the center tank pad. Not sure yet about the side pads, but definitely the center pad goes on. :iagree:
:smile2: like I said, find something that matches/works well with the bike. One day, if you take it off, a little Goo Gone and the tank is good as new. :woohoo2_smilie:

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:smile2: like I said, find something that matches/works well with the bike. One day, if you take it off, a little Goo Gone and the tank is good as new. :woohoo2_smilie:

I do already have the factory Kawasaki Ninja 300 tank pad kit, which includes the center tank pad and the two side pads.

I know that I will install the tank pad, but not sure yet about the two side pads. Seems like my legs just to come up high enough to warrant installing the side pads. But for sure, the center tank pad is needed.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do already have the factory Kawasaki Ninja 300 tank pad kit, which includes the center tank pad and the two side pads.

I know that I will install the tank pad, but not sure yet about the two side pads. Seems like my legs just to come up high enough to warrant installing the side pads. But for sure, the center tank pad is needed.

UPDATE !!!

Well I applied the factory " Kawasaki Ninja 300 " tank pad, on my black tank. And about 45 minutes later, I took it off, as I knew that I would not be able to live with how bad it looked. It is a clear piece with a design in it and they advertise it applied on a green tank. But over a black tank such as mine, no pattern shows and to me it just looked bad.

Already I have searched online for other tank pads and have come up with another Kawasaki tank pad in Green & Black, which may compliment the colors on my 300. Also, I have found a carbon fiber looking pad with Ninja imprinted on it. That one may also work and compliment the bike.

Presently, all that I can add is that I will keep you posted. :emot-ughh:

·
Registered
19 Posts
I ordered the StompGrips from Revzilla and only used the large pads (they come with four, two large and two small for the little bits of fairing that contact the leg - pretty useless), they work great! No more thighs sliding around on the tank for me!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts