Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to install rim tape, the tapered 4 strips per each side reflective variety, and I want to avoid any frustrating rookie mistakes.

Do I need the soapy spray and should I divide each side of wheel into 4 equal quadrants to keep the tape evenly spaced?

Oh and I don't have stands which I guess would be more mandatory if I was using the one continuous piece.

·
I ♥ Borat In A Thong
981 Posts
The rim tape I have came with 4 pieces per side of the rim. I used a light soapy spray. You just gotta be patient because if you use too much it will slide right off as you rotate the wheel and if you try to squeeze the liquid from behind it you may pull it away from where you meant to set it.

Edit - I didn't use a stand either.

·
I ♥ Borat In A Thong
981 Posts
What design did you get? Mine was just a solid thickness/design all the way around, just cut into 4 pieces.

You can't see where they are separated because they overlap. If yours is a design that gets slimmer or checkered or something, that's probably a hella lot tougher than what I did. I guess you'd either have to eyeball it or use a ruler lol.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Using a pair of tweezers helps as well. When trying to install black reflective on my last bike it would get partially stuck on my fingers and tear or stretch sometimes. I found using tweezers for the application portion really helped.

·
I ♥ Borat In A Thong
981 Posts
Put em on yet?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
29 Posts
What design did you get? Mine was just a solid thickness/design all the way around, just cut into 4 pieces.

You can't see where they are separated because they overlap. If yours is a design that gets slimmer or checkered or something, that's probably a hella lot tougher than what I did. I guess you'd either have to eyeball it or use a ruler lol.
Can't tell from the pic. What color is the tape during the day when it is not reflective, white?

·
Registered
237 Posts
The soapy water part makes it pretty easy because you can adjust the position of the sticker once you have placed it. You can put it on then spin the rim around and see how you need to adjust it.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
haven't attempted job yet.

I will use the soapy water spray BUT I was wondering what the best method is to make sure the tape is evenly spaced.

Do you put a yardstick or stretch cloth measuring tape across rim and make 2 marks then place it at 90 degrees and do same thing so that you have 4 marks. 12/3/6/9 o'clock positions.

This will give you a guide to make the spacing equidistant?

·
I ♥ Borat In A Thong
981 Posts
haven't attempted job yet.

I will use the soapy water spray BUT I was wondering what the best method is to make sure the tape is evenly spaced.

Do you put a yardstick or stretch cloth measuring tape across rim and make 2 marks then place it at 90 degrees and do same thing so that you have 4 marks. 12/3/6/9 o'clock positions.

This will give you a guide to make the spacing equidistant?
Is this the design you're using?

·
I ♥ Borat In A Thong
981 Posts
Oh well I guess you'll just have to eyeball it or call and ask a local shop how they do it if no one on here can give you the answer. For the decals on the sides of my bike (not rims) I just did simple measurements like hanging pictures on a wall and made little marks on where to start the decal and the angle.

·
I ♥ Borat In A Thong
981 Posts
I got 10mm I think.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Since:

a. I already destroyed one strip

b. Service techs will charge between $70-$120 to apply these strips

c. I don't have the skills, patience or wheel stand to do it by "eye"

I had to figure out an exact science to make it easy and idiot-proof. "Rim Tape for Dummies"

If the wheel has a 17" diameter, we can find out the circumference by multiplying that number by 3.14.

By doing that we get 53.38". Let's make it an even 53". Each strip is 12", so 4 strips will total 48".

53-48=5 inches. To find out the space needed for even placement requires us to divide 5 by 4.
That gives us 1 1/4 inches between each strip to make it equal and uniform.

This may help others. On paper it works...now to see if reality repays my effort.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts