Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Apologies if creating a new thread about this is inappropriate, but whilst there is a thread about tail bags, everyone who uses them seems to have the standard pillion seat on their 300.

So my question is: Does having the OEM seat cowl lessen the ability to strap a tail bag on? Some have straps that run under the seat pad, so I wonder how this would work without a seat pad i.e. a seat cowl instead. And for an extra challenge, if a fender eliminator is installed you also lose the two hooks.

The 3 tail bags I'm considering are:

1. Cortech Super 2.0
2. Kriega US-20
3. Ogio Road Tail Bag

If anyone owns any of these, I'd be keen to hear your thoughts on them. My aim is mainly to carry a 13in laptop, and maybe a change of clothes. The Ogio is by far the cheapest, but it's also the only one without a shoulder strap, and looks a little clumsier to fit to the bike.

Thanks y'all!

·
Registered
784 Posts
Why not get a tank bag? You should checkout Nelson-Rigg bags they have many that fit our Ninjas Tank bags, saddle bags,and tail bags lots of sizes. They are also a forum supporter.

Reactions: Mr D

·
Registered
448 Posts
You can strap a tail bag to the seat cowl, but it might try to move a little with you since the cowl isn't flat like the seat. I would expect scratches to the paint as well if you strap it on the seat cowl.

·
Premium Member
12,370 Posts
before you mount a tail bag to the cowl, i would put some antislipmat down on it first. buy it from $2 shops. i haven't tried it on a tail bag, but on a tank bag i have never scratched a tank with it

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can strap a tail bag to the seat cowl, but it might try to move a little with you since the cowl isn't flat like the seat. I would expect scratches to the paint as well if you strap it on the seat cowl.
Thanks Leroy, making sure it's secured is my biggest concern, because like you said, the seat cowl isn't flat like the standard seat.

before you mount a tail bag to the cowl, i would put some antislipmat down on it first. buy it from $2 shops. i haven't tried it on a tail bag, but on a tank bag i have never scratched a tank with it

Thanks Cruizin, I'm very familiar with that stuff, my mother used to use it under every matt on the tiles or polished timber floors. A couple of the bags come with a base that is supposedly non-scratch, but I'd imagine that if any dirt gets between it and the paint, any friction will cause abrasion. So with the antislipmat you recommended and its mesh like characteristics, that might minimise the abrasion as any dirt will just sit in the gaps.

·
Premium Member
12,370 Posts
Thanks Leroy, making sure it's secured is my biggest concern, because like you said, the seat cowl isn't flat like the standard seat.

Thanks Cruizin, I'm very familiar with that stuff, my mother used to use it under every matt on the tiles or polished timber floors. A couple of the bags come with a base that is supposedly non-scratch, but I'd imagine that if any dirt gets between it and the paint, any friction will cause abrasion. So with the antislipmat you recommended and its mesh like characteristics, that might minimise the abrasion as any dirt will just sit in the gaps.

this is to give you an example , you can buy it in all kinds of weaves. to be honest i have been using stuff just like this on road bikes since 1996 on my CBR250RR and i have never scratched the tank ever on any road bike. replace the mat every now and then to keep it clean and your all good to go. buy a roll for like $2 and you can get a few years out of one roll

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
this is to give you an example , you can buy it in all kinds of weaves. to be honest i have been using stuff just like this on road bikes since 1996 on my CBR250RR and i have never scratched the tank ever on any road bike. replace the mat every now and then to keep it clean and your all good to go. buy a roll for like $2 and you can get a few years out of one roll
Haha, I love the frugality!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I haven't got a tail bag yet, but I did get the mounting plate.

Rather than mount my tail bag to the seat, I built a plate for it. Here is the plate mounted on the bike. Ignore the notches in the tail piece plastic, the first version of this didn't work. The seat and bag will cover the notches, so it isn't something that needs to be fixed right away.

I started with a piece of flat steel that was cut to about the shape of the rear seat. I used a Dremel to make four notches at the back of the plate and bent the two fingers down so they would fit into the corresponding holes at the back of the mounting area.

Next, I cut a piece of 1" square tubing to fit behind the helmet hooks. The square tubing supports the plate and prevents the fingers from sliding forward and out of their notches.

I drilled a hole in the front of the plate and cut a piece of 1/2" steel rod to about 2" long. On one end of the rod, I tapered it and cut a notch so it would fit into the seat lock. After welding the three pieces together, I bent the front of the plate slightly so the rod fits exactly into the seat lock. There was a little wobble in the plate when I mounted it, so I put felt furniture feet on the frame of the bike behind the helmet holders. This puts some pressure on the plate so it sits solid as a rear seat replacement.

This picture shows the bottom of the plate with the rod, tubing and fingers. It also shows the four holes in the corners that I will use when I attach a bag to it.

I like it well enough that I plan to make a second one so I can mount a larger tailbag and a pair of saddlebags for touring.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
My vote is to get a tank bag and don't worry about the tail bag
The Kawi factory tank bag is awesome and has a decent amount of space in it
it also expands

1 - 10 of 10 Posts