Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I tried looking for a thread that deals with swirl marks and could only find the one.

I just purchased my bike and gave it it's first was. I followed the dealerships advice and used an approved wash for cars (no detergents) and dried it with a microfibre cloth.

I purchased Plexus which I have been told by several riders is awesome so I have been used that to protect the plastic and removed with a microfibre cloth (brand new).

The result: swirl scratches all over the paint (I have the ebony model) and all over the windshield.

WTF am I doing wrong? Any suggestions on how to fix this? I just purchased a head light restoration kit for the windshield and bought a polish and wax (Autoglym) but I am nervous to try it and make things worse.

Please help!!!!!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Here's my procedure:

-I wash the motorcycle from top to bottom and dry completely, covering the dash and not using the spray of water directly on the motorcycle. I use MeGuiar's Spray on Motorcycle Wash (EZ Clean). I use a microfiber wash mitt to wash and several microfiber towels to dry.

-After that I use MeGuiar's Wet Wax, applying it with a microfiber pad to everything, except crucial mechanical parts (Header, Forks, etc) for them a simple wipe down will do.

-When finished I use a plastic cleaner for the windshield and a leather cleaner for the seat. Both MeGuiar's.

-When finished I wipe down the tires with a clean and dry rag. Then I go along lubing the chain.

This usually leaves the motorcycle looking very presentable and shoots the sparkle in your eye :D Also try to make sure you rags have to dirt or rocks, and apply a good solid coat of wax.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Don't use Plexus. Plexus is one of those "spray on, wipe off" products for people who just want their bike to look clean, quickly. You're already giving your bike a good wash with car soap, so you're one step ahead of that group already :)

When you wash the bike, thoroughly rinse the bike off with a garden hose first (contrary to what some will tell you, motorcycles don't melt if you rinse them with a hose ;)) and then make sure to use a clean microfiber or sheepskin wash mitt, with a good amount of soap in a wash bucket. Rinse again, and dry with microfiber towel (get a "waffle weave" towel if you can.)

Always move in straight lines, don't wash in circles, otherwise that's a one way ticket to swirls :p

Now if you want to protect your painted plastics, use car wax! (The Autoglym wax you bought is good). Not some cheap spray on crap-in-a-can lol. To protect your unpainted plastics, use something like 303 Aerospace Protectant (this is what I use, it works extremely well).

You can find plenty of videos on how to polish your paint on YouTube, but there's very little risk of making it worse.

-When finished I use a plastic cleaner for the windshield and a leather cleaner for the seat. Both MeGuiar's.
The seats on the 300 are vinyl, so leather cleaner won't do much good. You should use a proper vinyl/plastic protectant (again, 303 is my recommendation).

·
Registered
101 Posts
The seats on the 300 are vinyl, so leather cleaner won't do much good. You should use a proper vinyl/plastic protectant (again, 303 is my recommendation)
Yeah I know :p It cleans light marks and sparkles it up nicely, however I probably will take up your advice and look into that product!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Dave. I recleaned my bike last night and used the Autoglym polish (took some of the swirls and scratches out) and followed up the the Autoglym HD wax which I use on my truck. She's shining now!

I will never use the Simonz microfibre cloths again. I picked up a really good Meguiars drying towel and an Autoglym finishing towel which is softer than a baby's butt!!!!

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Thanks Dave. I recleaned my bike last night and used the Autoglym polish (took some of the swirls and scratches out) and followed up the the Autoglym HD wax which I use on my truck. She's shining now!

I will never use the Simonz microfibre cloths again. I picked up a really good Meguiars drying towel and an Autoglym finishing towel which is softer than a baby's butt!!!!
Check out eShine.ca if you're looking for some good detailing supplies :) That's where I buy all my microfibre towels, 303, etc. They're based in Port Colborne, so shipping to the Toronto area usually only takes about 2-3 days.

Just wait until the weekends to order though, they always post up some 10-15% discount codes on their Facebook page.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Black is definately the worst color for showing defects. I've had great luck using meguires scratch-x followed by tech wax on black paint. For your windscreen, use lemon pledge. The same for the visor on your helmet........it also smells nice. For a quick cleaning with light dust/bugs, I've had good luck with Original Bike Spirits/aka Honda polish.

·
Banned
277 Posts
When washing, use two buckets, one with soapy water and the other with just water. After soaping a portion of the bike rinse the applicator (don't use a sponge, there are some nice microfiber mitts) in the water bucket thoroughly so that you don't bring the debris from the bike to the soapy water.

Unfortunately you'll end up with swirl marks regardless and the only way to slow this process would be a nice multi-stage prep (Zaino makes a good kit).

To remove swirl marks (not mask them) you would need to polish them out of the clear coat by applying a polishing compound by hand or orbital.

Spray on waxes are good to use after the washes when you aren't waxing.

As it has already been mentioned, black requires the most maintenance with a bright silver requiring the least.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I'm ashamed to say I've never washed my bike... I have EXTREMELY hard water and anytime I wash my car it just appears dirtier than before sooooo I just spot clean as necessary

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
the only thing i use to wash cars/motorcycles with for the last 20 year or more is "bp truck wash" comes in 5 litre bottles. best thing is, after washing, hose it down shammy it and your done its streak free. magic kit. buy it from bp truck stops (road house)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts