Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to Old3 for being the guinea pig and trying a SW-Motech Rack for the 2008-2012 Ninja 250 on his 2013 Ninja 300. I ordered the same rack and had my mechanic fabricate it to fit the 300. This rack is laser cut, and super strong and sturdy. Much more so than the Ventura Rack I had on my 250. That was hollow tube and very flimsy.

The racks bolt up just fine to the footpegs, but you do have to throw out the bracket that is supposed to bolt up underneath your tail section, and use a fabricated plate. The bracket actually touches the bungee hooks on the underside of the rear fender, so he took off the bungee bracket assembly (easy peasy) and then he used a piece of billet aluminum to create a custom bracket. Now going this way, it bolts to the underside of the rear fender, so if you have a fender eliminator kit, this will not work. I prefer function over looks, so I always keep my rear fender. The fabricated plate was on a bit of an angle, so he had to cut the holes in the bracket a bit bigger in order to be able to thread in the bolts into the underside of the rear fender.

The Coocase plate was supposed to be a straight bolt on to the SW-Motech Rack, but he did not like the cheap plastic washers that came with the plate, so he fabricated custom billet aluminum spacers (i am going to paint those black with high gloss black nail polish).

I am not that thrilled with the Coocase. The inside lock is super bulky and takes up valuable space inside the trunk, and the lock and key are a bit finicky. I far preferred the Givi, and will probably order one and sell the Coocase.

I also removed did the front reflectors, and installed the red steering stem nut.

Reactions: Diesel and cruizin

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
Looks good there GG! I have that rear under fender deleted so I was able to use that bracket, but I see it would go exactly where the stock fender is. Nicely fitted.

You are right on with the sturdiness, I think I could stand on the rack if the bike was strapped down!

I don't find much to fault on the CooCase, I've had Givis and Gobis, all have their peculiarities. Did you get the quick lock plate? I did, it isn't really something I needed but you can pop it off with 3 1/4 turn screws. You still have a rack there so not much point IMO, but it is sleeker I guess.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Twisted throttle said that the plate that came with the case would bolt right to the sw motech. They lied lol

·
Registered
490 Posts
How's the brake light visibility with the bin on the back,any problems?bike looks beautiful by the way.I was thinking of doing red strips my green ninja aswell but people keep telling me it will look like a christmas tree.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It does look big in the pictures, but it really looks relative on the bike.

I am not all that happy with the Coocase. The lock is very finicky...the key seems like it will not go in the slot, and i can insert the key just a portion and turn the lock. The button is super hard to push to open the case.

I had a Kappa 35 litre before this on the 08, and it was really easy to open, and I could store my helmet front to back and have room beside if for a small bag or a jacket. This 37 litre Coo does not have as much room inside because of the bulky inner lock mechanism.

I also feel like it is going to pop open while riding, because it is very hard to close.

I am buying another Kappa ($98 on amazon).

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
Maybe it is just that model or more likely a defective lock/latch? I have the S50, (quite a bit bigger of they think your looks huge!!!), and it is smooth to close or open.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL....as you know old, any topcase would look huge to these youngins' on the site who are young enough to not need to carry anything around with them...hehehe.

You might be right about a defective latch.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How's the brake light visibility with the bin on the back,any problems?bike looks beautiful by the way.I was thinking of doing red strips my green ninja aswell but people keep telling me it will look like a christmas tree.
Excellent visibility. You can see it with no problems.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Rear Rack

Wouldn't disagree that it is stronger than Ventura rack, but I have one (ventura) fitted and it gives greater rear light visibility. I use a smaller Givi than you so no problems. Also potential to load it up with one of their packs if needed so increasing carrying capacity.
The police here would have a field day about the potential for the rear light not to be clearly seen.
Nice job none the less, you can see my configuration on the forum

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
Wouldn't disagree that it is stronger than Ventura rack, but I have one (ventura) fitted and it gives greater rear light visibility.
i agree i have a ventura and it sits a few inches above the rear seat, this rack sits almost level with it

this rack sure looks a lot stronger then then ventura but its too low & blocks too much of the brake light

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It is probably the angle of where I was standing when I took the picture. I let my husband ride my 300 yesterday, and I followed on his Versys. No problem seeing the brake light, in it's entirety.

Jennifer

·
Registered
993 Posts
Thanks for the pics GG, I was considering a rack system before I went with saddle bags and a textile bag, I think now I might order the rack system and work it into my travel setup. I agree with Cruizin in that this small bike could be my next touring platform. This past weekend I took it for a 1,000 mile trip and it proved to outperform my friends 1800 cc honda on gas mileage and fun in the twisties. I'm thinking that adding a hardcase to the back would be great in that I could carry roughly 30lbs more and make my little ninja into a campers dream workhorse.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No worries, Old! I love the set up. I do have soft saddlebags and the rack bars help keep the saddlebags from going into the wheel and turn signals.

Here is another picture of the rear of the bike, taken from one car length back to show there is no interference with the tail light. No more than someone blacking it out or putting black plastic louvers over the tail light. (as you can see, I have an awesome job!)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts