Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Hero of Time
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine with his motorcycle license would not shut up about wanting to ride my bike. he sold his cbr600 last year and hadnt gotten to ride since. about 3 years under his belt. he begged me for weeks to ride my bike and i finally got so annoyed i let him.

a car pulled out of him and he grabbed at the front brake way too hard. he was only going maybe 15mph when it happened and he was almost fully stopped but he managed to lock up the front and lay her down on her left side.

hes paying me cash for everything, it bent my handlebar and rearsets, and a scratch on the left fairing...not the hugest deal but whatever, im getting free clipons.

ANYWAYS to the point of this story. he didnt actually bend my rearsets. they are so freaking strong that instead of breaking or bending, they bent the frame of the bike back with them. i was able to get a pry bar and bend them back out so they were in the same position as before...but now the frame is fucked up right there. i jumped on the peg and used all my strength to try to move it after i bent it back and re tightened it and it feels safe but im sure its weaker than before. just a warning to those of you with the SVs that crash at a little higher speed, your bike might wind up totalled because of it.

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
There are so many variables in a crash that anything can happen. Two bikes crashed at 15 MPH can be subjected to totally different forces on their impact points and suffer very different damages. I'm sure if he had hit it a even the slightest of different angles the peg would have snapped off. It is still just aluminum.

That said, I'm not surprised the frame tabs bent, the steel is a single grade step above warm butter IMO. It isn't easy to accept the true cheapness in the materials on these bikes after being spoiled by KTMs for near 20 years. Chromoly steel frames are nice to crash! :eek: Hard to even dent them on rocks.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts