Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok folks, I'm most likely going to move to Florida and I was hoping some people on the forums could tell me what they do to stay cool in the insane heat down there. I hear cooling packs work, and I've been reading that you're actually better off to WEAR long sleeves and gear as opposed to just squidding it. (Not that I'm one to be wreckless and take big chances)

So I wanted to hear what you people do to stay COOL. What are the best months to ride? How is it riding at night during the summer when the sun goes down?

Any help would be great!

·
Registered
38 Posts
This is actually a pretty good question for me too. Since I live in the dessert heat goes up to 110+ degrees with humidity. I'm also curious as to what tips and tricks are recommended for hot weather riding.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
The faster you go the more wind there is, the wind will cool you down :D

Hottest I have ridden in was 101* and I was in full gear stuck in traffic on the freeway and my bike kept overheating from just sitting there!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The faster you go the more wind there is, the wind will cool you down :D

Hottest I have ridden in was 101* and I was in full gear stuck in traffic on the freeway and my bike kept overheating from just sitting there!
I've heard that the humidity makes a huge difference. Like riding in 96 degree weather with 97% humidity will wreak havoc on your body as opposed to riding 115 degrees and 10% humidity (just giving out numbers for the sake of argument here)

·
I ♥ Borat In A Thong
981 Posts
Probably the same way us military people handled the heat. Hydrate and sweat.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
958 Posts
In S Central Texas by summer I turn into a squid and only ride in mornings in July and August when temps often get over 100F. Sometimes I can do an evening ride too, but I avoid about noon to 6 or 7. Your bike definitely runs hotter, especially when you have to stop. You might consider a 10W50 oil too, just to be safe. I run 5W40 year around, but I stay out of the coldest and hottest weather. That still leaves me a lot of riding. High of 50F today and that was too cold. By Mon. the daytime temp should be back up into the 60s after the cold front moves off.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm in Florida and the best I can offer, minimally, is to buy good mesh textile gear. I use Dainese Air Frame jacket and similar type of glove with mesh air flow. I don't wear riding pants though, but may look into finding a light pair next summer.

Not much to say except that you just need to drink lots of water if you are going on longer trips, and get used to the sweating. I commute daily, don't even own a car, so I guess I am just used to whatever I go through, rain or shine. Yes obviously it cools down slightly when the sun sets, but it is the humidity that will get you day or night.

Best months to ride in Florida are the fall/winter/spring months of course. July/August is the hottest usually.

·
Track Whore
675 Posts
If you're moving to Florida you might as well SCUBA dive.

·
I ♥ Borat In A Thong
981 Posts
Looks exactly like under armor. I tried under armor while in the army and it would feel great if you sweat and had airflow, but you gotta be able to handle tight clothing.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
heat ain't so bad... it's the humidity rofl. cliche but true.

went to las vegas in august... 115 degrees 0 humidity.

central florida 95 degrees 90% humidity.

las vegas felt like paradise didn't even know it was 115. felt like our 80-85 and the only reason i found out i was extremely dehydrated was i slammed 4 powerades in 20 minutes...

best bet for staying cool here is drink a lot of water, stay moving, wear lightweight but protective clothing; i hear mesh and textile works well, but i'll have to find out that for myself come the warmer months as i've just started getting into riding. that said, if you have to do any outdoor stuff, best to do it in the morning hours before 12:15 or so; if you wait until 12:30 you still have the hottest part of the day ahead of you and it doesn't really begin to cool off until about 7 or a florida gutbuster thunderstorm whichever comes first. those storms work wonders; in orlando they tend to show up about 3:30-4:30 and do a miraculous job of quenching everything and lowering the temps to more bearable limits. in fact, you can often spot the florida natives or long-time residents at large public gatherings because we know to generally keep an eye to the sky and have a nearby place to duck inside to when those hours start to approach; with that said, those same storms also bring tremendous chances of severe storms and/or tornadoes, and this is outside of the traditional hurricane nemesis...fortunately those storms are relatively brief and generally speaking after it's gone it's done for the day. another thing to consider is florida is not like say upland georgia or southwest virginia; much of the state is blessed by a sea breeze. not all of it, but as most of florida is built on the coasts, with places like orlando being the exception, odds are relatively high you will be able to take benefit of the seabreeze.

all that said, welcome, and hope you enjoy your visit at NY/NJ South...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts