Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, so I had the day off from work today and decided to go see a movie. The ride there was nothing out of the ordinary, just enjoying the bike and the new yosh exhaust I put on. So, after the movie I come out and get on my bike and start riding. I let it warm up, went a mile or two and had to get on the freeway. Usually when I merge, I accelerate up to about 85 mph and let off to flow with traffic. To be honest, I pay more attention to the tach and the sound of the bike... anyway so I had to merge quickly and that's no problem, especially with the new exhaust the bike feels even more responsive. So I merge and the revs sound normal but my body senses something off. I look down and I'm at barley above 60 mph. I then sense immediately the bike isn't picking up or pulling like it usually does...as another forum member once said and forgive me I forget where but "it's like the revs aren't in match with increased speed" like usually the bike picks up revs and speed somewhat in sync. It was like the bike was SOUNDING like it was was accelerating, but wasn't doing it how it should. When there was a break in traffic I tested opening up the trottle. The bike usually pulls well even from.5k up even in 6th gear and gets to 102-105 pretty quickly relatively speaking and then the last 10 or so mph are slow. This time the bike almost bogged when I opened it.wide in 5th, got to 60mph and way more slowly then it should got to 85 mph and just hit a wall... I was thinking what the help is going on?, my first thought was I accidentally hit my area p box and set it to the wrong map. So I rushed home and no it's still set just as it should be. Then I thought maybe because I'm running my yosh with out the baffle maybe it's there's not enough backpressure, but that makes no sense because I've had it for 2 weeks and over 100 miles running great. I'm out of ideas and really upset. I'm going to put the baffle in now and see if that helps. How the heck can I turn the bike off, come back two hours later and it's behaving so much differently? And no the bike wasn't hit or damaged, I checked everything.no warning lights either. This doesn't make any sense.... Thanks for any help guys. I'm hoping it goes away randomly just like it came, but that's not usually how it works..

·
Registered
473 Posts
Is the engine bogging or is the revs normal but your just not gaining speed? If it is the latter, then you may have clutch/cable issues... if it is the former maybe someone pulled a spark plug wire off while you were inside... is it backfiring? did you get some bad fuel?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input, but no same tank of gas, both spark plug wires are good. Clutch is engaging and disengaging just fine. It literally feels like I have a bad fuel map running but area p tuner wasn't touched...

·
Registered
411 Posts
I had a similiar issue and the bike stalled on me twice after a full yoshi install. Only difference is I have a PCV. I unplugged everything, double checked it was all in correct, reconnected everything and reinstalled the fuel maps. Since then no problems and everything is working just fine. I would say work backwards with the tuner, that may be your culprit. (However, I am not familiar with the area P and don't exactly know how it is connected)

·
Registered
473 Posts
Yeah, Since its not any of those other things, I second with checking the tuner... I imagine all it would take is a little power surge to mess up the map... It's not like none of us ever had to reset a modem or something else electronic before...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks guys, I went inside for 2 hours and wrote this and relaxed then came back out figured it wouldn't hurt to try taking the bike for another ride before I start taking it apart...and wouldn't you know, it feels normal again. I mean I can't attest to top speed but the acceleration feels good, butt dyno feels right and I hit 91 mph pretty quick like I should. I didn't take it on the free way so Idk if it's just like it was but still, I hate riding like a jerk around my neighborhood, it's not safe and it's not cool. But anyway, as of now it it seems like a fluke but I'll take it out Tomm on the highway and make sure. It's just so odd. I mean what could've happened? A ground wire with a bad connection?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys for all the help...I will look into it further. It's Just so odd...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
it would be pretty amusing if a racoon ran out in front of you while you hit 91mph in your neighborhood
I don't think that would be amusing at all. Then you'd probably be a reading post from my wife... I understand if you don't agree with my riding habits, which I don't either always, but that's no reason to make that kind of comment, man. Your basically wishing another biker to crash...

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Ignore him.

I worked on a hayabusa that was bogging down, backfiring, and sometimes not staying on. It was the guy's power commander. I removed it and he just rode the bike without the custom map.

Another bike bogged down occasionally and randomly and it was the computer.

Dirty injectors can do that, dying fuel pump, and bad plugs and cables.

That's all I can think of. Most likely your tuner, though.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Yeah I'm gonna guess it's the tuner. Did you hook it up yourself? Check that all the connectors are properly attached, the sporadic nature of the problem makes me think a connector (to a coil maybe?) is not 100% secure, or maybe the wiring harness is damaged somewhere.

That is assuming it's not clutch related... the clutch may seem to engage/disengage properly but if it isn't engaging completely when you release the lever, the revs will climb without accelerating the bike. The "bogging down" at low rpm may have just been normal for a 35hp bike not in it's optimal rpm range. As the revs climb, the engine puts out more power and the partially-engaged clutch can't take it, so it slips. Re-do your clutch cable adjustment at the engine cover first, then adjust at the lever to be completely sure it isn't your clutch. Otherwise you may do irreversible damage.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
would it make a difference if my 8 year old boy ran out to chase his ball and you were coming at 91mph your wife and my wife wont be too happy
That's a fair point, and something I understand completely. I should have clarified , when saying my " neighborhood " I didn't really mean a residential area, just near by. Not that that makes it acceptable. I would never condone riding in a reckless fashion, I just thought your first statement was a little uncalled for is all.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
It wouldn't matter wtf ran out in front of someone doing 90+ To say what you did is just simply asinine.
Also it's irrelevant to this thread. He asked about the power loss, and suggestions to what it might be.

Dave

·
Registered
644 Posts
Similar thing just happened to my 300 ninja, doing top speed 190, lost power, took it mechanic today, bottom end gone, copper all thru oil and behind casing, bike gone...
Well that sucks!

Most often that is due to a low oil issue. They can run at WOT all day long if everything is correct.

What oil were you running, and do you know if it ran low?

They will use oil, especially in hot temps and extended high RPM running, so the oil level needs regular attention.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts