Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure if any of you have encountered this problem... Many times around my city streets in Riverside, Ca I will be the only one in the morning at a red light. These are all mostly on sensors. I try to keep the bike in the circles outlined on the asphalt in the lane I am in. However, myself and I bike do not seem to trigger the light to turn green. I sometimes find myself sitting through 3 cycles of lights for cars pulling up adjacent to me at the interceptions and feel forced to just wait until no traffic is coming either way and running the red light due to it never changing green for me.... It's soooooo frustrating!!

Have any of you had this happen? How can I correct it, or what am I doing wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
162 Posts
I've read that sensors are magnets that detect metals from the car. Latest motorcycles don't have enough metals to trigger the magnetic sensors to change the traffic lights. What I do is I usually bring out my cup of coffee and morning news paper and read while enjoying my coffee till a car comes along behind me to trigger the sensor. :)

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I have a different problem. Streetlights work fine... However the entry gate at work does not. Bike isn't heavy enough to trip it lol.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I have heard of people putting powerful magnets on the underside of their bikes. I can't imagine it being powerful enough though.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I am not sure if any of you have encountered this problem... Many times around my city streets in Riverside, Ca I will be the only one in the morning at a red light. These are all mostly on sensors. I try to keep the bike in the circles outlined on the asphalt in the lane I am in. However, myself and I bike do not seem to trigger the light to turn green. I sometimes find myself sitting through 3 cycles of lights for cars pulling up adjacent to me at the interceptions and feel forced to just wait until no traffic is coming either way and running the red light due to it never changing green for me.... It's soooooo frustrating!!

Have any of you had this happen? How can I correct it, or what am I doing wrong?

All the time. I wait for a cycle or two then proceed if all clear. Or right turn, u-turn as needed. Notify proper authorities of malfunctioning intersections.

~mike

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Usually there are exceptions to the law whereby if you wait a "reasonable amount of time", the traffic light is considered malfunctioning and you may proceed through if it is safe to do so.

Alternatively, make three right turns or a right turn and a u-turn (assuming you're in the US or Canada).

And finally, hoping off the bike and pressing the crosswalk button as Woomba suggested :p

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for the great responses.. I have done the right turn, U turn method... However in some instances the streets are separated by islands for a long ways and it ends up taking me completely out of the way (although its only by about 2 minutes)... Lately I have just been trying to take the routes that seem to have more traffic through them to avoid getting stuck at the lights...

I would definitely try the throwing the kickstand down and walking over and hitting the crosswalk button... Although, with my luck, I would be at the cross walk button and a car would pull up behind me and I would have to look like a [email protected]$$ running back to my bike to get out of the way.. Haha

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
On a more serious note, if you pay attention to the lines that are often cut into the pavement to install the detection wires, you can position yourself to increase your chances of being detected. If it is a rectangular cut out, don't put yourself in the center. Instead position the bike right on one of the parallel lines so both tires are on the line. Get as much of your bike over the wires as possible. If it's been paved over since initial install, you'll have to experiment on where to position the bike. Sometimes the middle of the lane is best if two adjacent rectangular sensors are installed per lane.

If that doesn't work, you can try turning off the motorcycle and then starting the engine. This causes the electric starter motor to spin up which should trip the magnetic field sensor beneath you.

Finally yea, the magnet thing could work. But I suspect you'll need really powerful magnets. Neodymium is good, and often found in hard drives. But modern hard drives use increasingly smaller magnets. So you're probably better off finding some on ebay for cheap. Should probably be strong enough that you need to handle them with respect: AKA they could pinch your fingers or slam together if you aren't careful. I have old hard drive magnets that will cling to either side of my wrist for example.

Of course, if it continues to be a problem, report the intersection so someone will look into the issue.

As a last and very illegal resort, you may have noticed a small device that often sits on the top of traffic lights at major intersections. This is a sensor on emergency vehicles that is calibrated to turn the light green when it reads a strobe light at a specific frequency. If you figured out the frequency and mounted a strobe light to your motorcycle, green lights will appear as if you were an emergency vehicle! Yay!

Edit: Looks like some of these strobes use infrared so you can't even see the operator triggering the green light...Interesting..but still very illegal heh heh

·
Registered
733 Posts
I have on some of my other bikes and it worked but I haven't had a prob so far with the 300 so haven't picked it up yet.
Seeing as cycle gear has a return if you are not happy with it, just not sure if that is the same for elect parts tho you may want to check.

·
Registered
958 Posts
We have a few of those and I just look around to check for cops. If no cops and safe, I go, always with a green light though. Never had to explain yet. Most of the busy intersections have cameras that detect movement but don't take your photo and those work fine with motorcycles.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Those magnets don't work for all the lights, I think it depends on the sensor. Sometimes the easiest way is to just get off and push the button.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts