Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time I've owned a bike recently got the ninja.
I was wondering how everyone stores their bike?

I store mine in my back yard, and the sun hits it a little.

Should I get a tarp? And what winds can a bike withstand on the kickstand? I live in Sacramento, weather changes quickly.

Tips please?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Mine is in the carport protected from the sun and rain. If it was going to be beat on by the sun and rain for long periods of time, I'd get a bike cover to protect the finish. Another option, for some, is to just park it in your living room. It makes a nice show piece/decoration in a man cave.

It would probably take hurricane force winds to knock a bike down. I once had mine at my work parking lot during a hard, super windy storm and it weathered fine.

Amazon has some decent covers for around $40, but if they get snagged on a part of the bike while you're putting it on, they can still tear. Another thing, there are water proof covers and others that are just dust covers. Be sure you get the one that suits you.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I am also in Sac. You don't have to worry about wind unless we get a huge superstorm coming that you hear about on the news. I cover my bike with a cycle gear cover to keep dust/pollen/sun/rain off it. The cheap dust cover is worthless, get the next model up (it's waterproof and has a heat resistant bottom liner so you can put it on while the exhaust is still hot). They go on sale regularly for $40-50.

Reactions: KennethJohnson

·
Registered
107 Posts
Since it's outside, it's best to cover it with a motorcycle cover. You can get a decent cover from walmart for $20. It works just fine.
I wouldn't want pollen, bugs, dust, rain drops on my bike.

·
Super Moderator
2,546 Posts
Mine has been outside in some substantial storms that had torrential rain and 60+ mph winds and it was just fine.

As for covers, when I had to park outside, I invested in the $150 Kawasaki waterproof cover as it is tailored to fit our bikes. It fit incredibly well and even covered most of the tires. Less expensive, generic shaped covers will work, but I was always concerned about them not being snug enough and turning into a wind sail given the winds we can get around here.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Are you gonna let it sit for a while? If so, a cover and stands are a good idea. And putting Stabil in the tank is a must. You might want to take the battery out, too. That's the minimum us in the great white north have to do every year.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts