Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a pipe in existence that doesn't really change the stock sound? The thing is pretty damn ugly and the heat shield is allready starting to rust after only 1,000kms :S any opinions and advice much appreciated!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
195 Posts
I use oil and fine steel wool to get rid of rust and shine mine up, and the residual oil will prevent new rust from forming for a while. There are also some suggestions in this thread. As far as stock sounding aftermarket exhausts - I doubt it, but maybe. That's a huge selling point of aftermarket is that it changed the sound to be so much more aggressive. I mean, that is the whole point of slip ons.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
If your stainless steel exhaust is already rusting out, take it back to the dealership for replacement under warranty. It's an obvious material manufacturer error and Kawasaki will replace it. While stainless steel isn't rust proof, it should last for quite a while exposed and not rust.

·
Registered
958 Posts
You may want to also consider that the stock exhaust weights about 10 times what an aftermarket slip-on does :eek:

·
Registered
17 Posts
If your stainless steel exhaust is already rusting out, take it back to the dealership for replacement under warranty. It's an obvious material manufacturer error and Kawasaki will replace it. While stainless steel isn't rust proof, it should last for quite a while exposed and not rust.

I asked my dealership when I was picking up the bike about exhaust heat shield rusting, they said it does rust and is normal, warranty will not cover.:rolleyes: my dealership sux

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
I asked my dealership when I was picking up the bike about exhaust heat shield rusting, they said it does rust and is normal, warranty will not cover.:rolleyes: my dealership sux
Your dealership is purposely trying to lead you astray so they don't have to eat hours replacing an exhaust that's known to have material issues. Stainless steel that's properly been manufactured wont rust unless the base layer of chrome oxide has been removed. That's what makes stainless steel highly rust resistant. The micro layer of chrome oxide coats the metal and prevents oxygen from interacting with the iron in the steel making iron oxides (rust.) If your stainless steel is rusting so soon off of the factory it means a few things could have happened. The stainless steel stock used in manufacture didn't get the proper cut of chromium into the steel and Kawasaki got a tool steel instead of stainless steel. Or during manufacture the part got mis-heated and the chromium got pulled into uneven spots throughout the metal preventing the chrome oxide from completely covering the surface. Lastly, which I find more common, the dealership used a cleaner that had bleach or another oxidizer and abrasive compound and stripped the chrome oxide layer off allowing oxygen to mix with the iron and allowing rust. My bike has been parked and covered outside for almost 3 months now and not even a bit of rust. I live less than 10 minutes from the beach too, so there is a bit of a salt mixture to our air out here. There have been people who've gotten rust on their exhausts in a few days time and have turned it in for warranty repair. All three of these examples are examples of manufacturer or dealership mishandling and not something the owner should be eating the costs of. While stainless steel isn't impervious to rust, if treated right and taken care of, it'll never rust. You don't even need to put oil on it. That chrome oxide layer regenerates over time as well so long as you don't completely strip it off. Now as an owner, you have to be VERY careful with what you wash your bike with. Once you strip that protective layer off of the stainless steel, you have to treat it like standard tool steel from then on and keep it oiled. The oil will prevent oxygen from mixing with the iron and forming rust.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Probably wouldn't cost much to powder coat the stock surround if you wanted to keep the stock exhaust and not worry about it rusting :|

·
Registered
630 Posts
Talk to another dealership, and talk to Kawasaki directly about this issue.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
This might be a good idea! thanks :D

Kind of looking for aftermarket for the weight reduction aswell :S
I think the Area-P quiet core exhaust is the quietest out there as of now, not sure if they are released yet although I believe there may be a sound clip on their site.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I had my 1000km service yesterday and dealer ordered me new parts for my exhaust. They said kawasaki have acknowledged a fault with the rust and will replace all no questions asked free of charge. So before you get a new exhaust get rid of the rust and you'll have a perfect looking stock muffler to sell

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
55 Posts
If the purpose of an aftermarket slip-on is to make the bike "sound more aggressive" then leave me out.

What I think OP SpicyNuggets wanted was the same thing I would like - stock sound or maybe a couple DB higher but no more, and most of all to cut some pounds. Sounds like Akrapovic.

OK, so it´s pricey and you gain maybe a half horsepower. But you lose 6+ pounds.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts