Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone cut open a stock muffler and see what it looks like? I'm trying to find some pictures or videos of what it looks like and where the baffles are.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I didnt take it apart but I did stick a light and measure it from both ends. From what I figured out there is just 1 plate right in the middle acting as the baffle. Tomorrow the drilling will start, if all fails I will just have to get an after market exhaust.

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
My many attempts at modding typical Japanese OEM mufflers has lead me to believe that unless you are prepared to build a true perforated core and add a glass mat sound material, with a removable end cap for changing that, you can't get decent sound or power. Basically use the shell and bild a true slip on inside it. They will be blatt-y, fart-y and just horrific in tone and volume if you leave them with less or no chambers.

Bike engines don't respond well to chambered mufflers unless they are so restricted they are basically silent. That's why you don't see Flowmasters on a Ducati.

I'd recommend selling the stock 300 can to a 2008-12 250 owner as it bolts right on and looks far better, then adding a few bucks to that for a true slip on or full exhaust. Modded it will be only worth scrap. I'd only expect to get about 50-75 bucks for one anyway so if you don't mind the $, go for it!

BTW, a $250 Area-P tuner with the stock can will yield true results, not just noise. The same should be expected from a muffler mod as a slip on, just noise according to the dyno, almost no real gain. It might even run far worse! :eek:

I'd add the tune + a decat in the stock header for an actual additional HP and torque gain if I was on a tight budget. minimal cutting and welding.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well First here are some measurements for the baffle:

This picture is from the step down weld from the gasket end, the baffle is 4.5" from that weld.
[/IMG]
And now down the exhaust

Drilling it out was easy, I was just carefull on the gasket end not to mess up the crush gasket so I only made about 4-5 holes total.

Its not much louder than stock, but I can notice the difference at idle. Now under load is when it comes alive, not stupid loud and not stock. When I get someone home i'll have them record me on it because the videos up close get alot of the engine noise as its not that much louder sitting still.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bike engines don't respond well to chambered mufflers unless they are so restricted they are basically silent. That's why you don't see Flowmasters on a Ducati.
Kawasaki offered some chambered silencers on some of their dirt bikes back in the 80's and 90's when sound wasn't as much of a concern for off roaders and they worked great. I think it just takes someone to actually put some real R&D time in to it and you could have a good performing chambered muffler. However, the straight through design of the aftermarket mufflers is much simpler, and cheaper, to design and manufacture which is why, IMO, that is all we see. OEM's are restricted in making their designs as to meet legal sound levels for a lot of different locals hence why they are so quiet.

Eh, just one man's opinion! :)

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
Kawasaki offered some chambered silencers on some of their dirt bikes back in the 80's and 90's when sound wasn't as much of a concern for off roaders and they worked great. I think it just takes someone to actually put some real R&D time in to it and you could have a good performing chambered muffler. However, the straight through design of the aftermarket mufflers is much simpler, and cheaper, to design and manufacture which is why, IMO, that is all we see. OEM's are restricted in making their designs as to meet legal sound levels for a lot of different locals hence why they are so quiet.

Eh, just one man's opinion! :)

Was that the old KLX bikes?

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
I used a KDX200 as my first MX bike! LOL. I think they were a combination of chambered and insulated core, much like the 300 stocker. Heavy & quiet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was thinking in particular about the '89-'94 E-series KDX200. It worked really well in both being reasonably quiet and not costing any HP. Dyno tests of aftermarket, non-spark arrestor, race only type "straight through" core silencers against the stock Kawasaki unit showed very little, if any, gains in HP. Of course, Kawasaki put some real R&D in to it which is why it works so well. It works so well that when I completely redid my '90 KDX I chose to stay with the stock silencer even with all the other power upgrades. The only advantages to the aftermarket silencers were lighter weight and bling factor.

BTW, here is a pic of the stock E-series KDX silencer. Sorry it is nasty but I had just pulled it apart for cleaning when I first bought it. Anyways, you can clearly see the chambers and packing material. The second pic is of my KDX. I only posted it as to show that I take my bikes seriously and I will go the extra mile to build a great performing bike. (if anyone cares to read about my KDX build you can here: http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=103&t=12466 )

·
Registered
162 Posts
Has anyone cut open a stock muffler and see what it looks like? I'm trying to find some pictures or videos of what it looks like and where the baffles are.
i already make a hole just like you said, 1 form front, 4 from behind of exhaust. and i make another round hole at the muffler inner lips, the one shape tube, after removed first the pentagon shape outer lips, and welded it back. and the sound was amazing, sound co0l for me, my friends said it like a akrapovic sound haha

www.m.youtube.com/#/watch?feature=youtube_gdata_player&v=Zd0-9P6NcnM&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DZd0-9P6NcnM%26feature%3Dyoutube_gdata_player

Attachments

·
Registered
185 Posts
i already make a hole just like you said, 1 form front, 4 from behind of exhaust. and i make another round hole at the muffler inner lips, the one shape tube, after removed first the pentagon shape outer lips, and welded it back. and the sound was amazing, sound co0l for me, my friends said it like a akrapovic sound haha

www.m.youtube.com/#/watch?feature=youtube_gdata_player&v=Zd0-9P6NcnM&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DZd0-9P6NcnM%26feature%3Dyoutube_gdata_player
Umm, that's quite the URL address you got going on there, and in fact it didn't work for me. So I copied the "v=Zd0-9P6NcnM" part and here you guys go:

·
Registered
397 Posts
BTW, a $250 Area-P tuner with the stock can will yield true results, not just noise. The same should be expected from a muffler mod as a slip on, just noise according to the dyno, almost no real gain. It might even run far worse! :eek:

I'd add the tune + a decat in the stock header for an actual additional HP and torque gain if I was on a tight budget. minimal cutting and welding.
That is interesting

For me not so much the budget but I recently installed a Devil exhaust full system with the panel type air filter.
The gains especially in mid range were very nice but....I just could not take the noise.

I ride mainly nice mountain tight roads & keep the bike between 9-10k & redline
The full system was just too loud & kind of obnoxious for me.

So I am back to stock can & do miss that mid bump & faster climb thru the gears.

Headers here are cheap & I can buy a cat free one
Might just try your idea of a P-tuner with it

Thanks

·
Registered
67 Posts

nice sound hehe

u still using it ?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts