Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Okay, we have some good news!

Thank Mike for the suggestion of checking the water pump seal, there was a screw that was gasket-ed at the bottom of the pipe connection that wasn't resealed properly. Using some liquid gasket was all it took to fix the leak.

As for the entree repair, the dreaded stator, it seems to be holding up well. After roughly 100 miles of casual driving at regular and interstate speeds, the engine seems to be holding up and I haven't gotten a battery light yet. I only have two notable concerns, although all systems appear to be working well otherwise. At idle, the headlights dim slightly, but when revving the engine they brighten. This was described as a key sign of stator failure, although it certainly was minimal compared to the other cases I read online, and after a hundred or so miles it seems as if the battery would have died if the engine was using battery power alone. The other is that loud starter. It starts the bike alright, but it sounds like a kid screaming after hitting their head on a rock. It is definitely not the original starting sound.

Everything else sounds good, spare some cricket sounds when the engine slows to idle at a light. Once it hits idle they disappear.

Thanks once again to everyone for their help with the issue, and I would be happy to answer any questions about the procedure for any others aspiring to replace their own stators :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been experiencing electrical issues that are supposedly indicative of either a voltage regulator or stator failure. I took it into a dealership for an estimate and they said it would be roughly 700 dollars plus labor (120 an hour) for diagnosing the problem, parts, and solving the problem.

Now being a fresh college student with not that much money I immediately said "Fuck that" and took it home to diagnose the problem.

We knew the battery was fine because it read ~12 without a load and was cleared by the Batteries+ we purchased it from only a few months ago. We tested the idle voltage, in which it went up to around 12.5, and when revving the engine up to around 4k-5k RPM it didn't move from there. Pretty much confirmed to me that the stator was the issue. We disassembled everything to the alternator cover, took it off, and low and behold see the pictures attached. Looks like one of the contacts on the stator is fucked, and some of the corrosion spilt over onto the coils it was connected to.

I'm not taking it back to the dealership because I've come this far, and don't feel like dishing out that ridiculous amount of cash for something I did in just a few hours. Any part recommendations or questions regarding the original issue are 100% welcome. I'm looking to do the repair myself.
Your the man I need to do the same was not to hard to do any tips how much was ur parts sir
And how was collage life lol

21 - 22 of 22 Posts