Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm almost embarrassed to ask but how in the heck do you disconnect the stator connection? Like explain this as if I'm an idiot lol. Do I need to take the connector off the holder? Is the latch on the front the latch or is there another latch? Where? Pic attached (I hope).
Automotive tire Rim Tire Gas Engineering

I'm about ready to clip the wires and solder it back together when I'm done. Anyway, enough ranting lol. Thanks for whatever help you can offer.
Automotive tire Rim Tire Gas Engineering

Registered
Pretty sure it's just that clip on the front there that you push in and pull the connectors apart if I had to guess. I've done it, and don't recall it being a laborious connection/disconnection. The plug is probably a tight fit, even after you've released the locking clip.

-Mike

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pretty sure it's just that clip on the front there that you push in and pull the connectors apart if I had to guess. I've done it, and don't recall it being a laborious connection/disconnection. The plug is probably a tight fit, even after you've released the locking clip.

-Mike
Must not be holding my mouth right... that's what i've been doing. Beginning to wonder if a PO glued it lol.

Registered
sometimes a little screwdriver can be inserted into those clips to help release...I know there are times I swear I'm gonna slice my finger open as I'm pushing so hard on those little clips! They can be frustrating.

Reactions: the yeti

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sometimes a little screwdriver can be inserted into those clips to help release...I know there are times I swear I'm gonna slice my finger open as I'm pushing so hard on those little clips! They can be frustrating.
yeah i've been fooling with this a couple days off and on. I have to walk away from it to keep from going nuts lol

Premium Member
84' Goldwing Aspencade, 91' EX500, 98' Ninja 250 w/ 17' 300 engine, 07 EX500
Okay first step, that it off the mounting bracket, take a small flat screwdriver between the bracket and the connector, slowly pull it off if you don't do this, you'll break the tab on the back of the connector.

Underneath that see the metal wire holder, remove wires from that.

That should give you more access to the plug, hit that with some WD-40, then push the down inward towards the connector, or in, and up towards the top, I'm not really sure it's been awhile. It should pop off when you pull it apart, try wiggling it.

If I must ask, why are you wanting to unplug it in the first place?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay first step, that it off the mounting bracket, take a small flat screwdriver between the bracket and the connector, slowly pull it off if you don't do this, you'll break the tab on the back of the connector.

Underneath that see the metal wire holder, remove wires from that.

That should give you more access to the plug, hit that with some WD-40, then push the down inward towards the connector, or in, and up towards the top, I'm not really sure it's been awhile. It should pop off when you pull it apart, try wiggling it.

If I must ask, why are you wanting to unplug it in the first place?
System isn't changing and the battery is good so this is the next logical step. But holy shit that connector is a bastard.

Thanks though! I think you put me on the right track.

Premium Member
Did you test the stator first?

Premium Member
I'm not sure how I can test it until I get to the end of the wires (in the connector)?
Don't have to, you can the multimeter probes in the back of the connector, from the stator side.

How many miles on the bike?

Premium Member
Watch the video above

Automotive tire Gas Motor vehicle Machine Metal

Premium Member
If you need a new stator, or rebuild your old one, be sure to get it from Rick's Motorsports.

They've done a lot work for me over years, always quality work, and great communication.

If you need a rectifier, get their HOT SHOT one, a lot better than OEM.

Super Moderator
I didn't find any trouble when I did mine. I took it off the bracket and disconnected and reconnected it several times to test and later replace the stator.
I think you have to squeeze on the that tab that has stripes and then pull them apart. Maybe yours have some kind of damage.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you need a new stator, or rebuild your old one, be sure to get it from Rick's Motorsports.

They've done a lot work for me over years, always quality work, and great communication.

If you need a rectifier, get their HOT SHOT one, a lot better than OEM.

Thanks!

Premium Member
I also recommend when plugging it back together, to use dielectric grease inside the connector.

It keeps water out, and also keeps it lubricated. Get the bigger tube. NAPA has it cheap. It will last you for many years, assuming you don't misplace it, like I do 馃榿

I use it all my plugs, including spark plugs cap, keeps them from sticking to the plugs, and keeps water out of them, which causes corrosion, then that equals resistance, that equals burnt connectors.

Makes removing spark plugs that much easier too.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So, update so you dudes won't think I'm completely incompetent... great advice on the wd40, squirted a bit in the connector body and next day it popped right away. Was reading like half a volt coming out of the stator so I ordered one from Ricks, decided to preemptively change the rectifier, also from Rick's. Parts came, installed last reading 14.5 volts at 5k. I'd say I'm good to go. Thanks again for all the advice! Seriously w/o ya'll I probably would've cut those wires and soldered the connection. -al

1 - 20 of 29 Posts