Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I installed this today, it's awesome. If there's enough interest I'll make an install guide. Pics to come.

You can purchase it here http://store.hardracing.com/cart.php?target=product&product_id=18650&category_id=

Pros:
- Shift Light is awesome and when it pops on you'd have to really not be paying attention to miss it
- Cheaper than Healtech, (IMO more functionality as well), your saving $50 for two hours work, and you end up with a better system
- Has a light sensor that works very well, no visibility problems during the day and I don't go blind at night

Cons:
- Install requires removal of the entire left side of the bikes fairings so you can piggyback 5 wires onto the harness that connects to the instrument cluster

Installation will take 1 hour to 2 depending on how quick you have gotten at taking your fairings off, and how competent you are at soldering. For me I had to look through the service manual and scrutinise a few wiring diagrams to find out which wires to tap, however I actually enjoyed this part and I feel I know the bike better from it, and you would be able to skip this step as I can tell you exactly which wires you need to solder on the harness with which one from the Engear. Soldering isn't necessary, you can use wire taps but make sure you insulate them, preferably with 100mp/h tape over electircal tape, as the positive and negative are close and the fuse they are on controls the ignition and instrument cluster so you really don't want to blow that one while riding. If you haven't soldered before and want to solder these wires, practice on some scrap wire for an hour or so until you are very confident before you start soldering on the harness, it's a tight area and you can easily burn yourself or other parts on the bike if your not careful(fortunately I did not :D ). Soldering is a great skill to have anyway, especially if you plan on doing more mods to the electrics of your bike.

Teaching the system is not hard at all, and is even easier if you have a rear wheel stand. It will take you about 5 minutes in total with or without the stand. You can reprogram the shift light at any time, or turn it off, both actions take about 30 seconds. I have it at the very peak of the horsepower bell curve because I go through the twisties a lot(don't ride above your skill level, and always stay in your lane, I see too many accidents on the Old Pacific Highway) but that's just me, if I lived in the city I'd probably set it at 8 - 8 1/2 as that's where the eco riding light tends to turn off on my baby, so I'd know to change gears when i get past the most fuel efficient part of the engine.

As a side note, the pig spotter 2 mirrors were a pain to install, the wheel lighting kit was fairly easy, but if anyone gets either of them and would like some help I can make a guide for them as well for you guys.

Edit: Pictures Added

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,370 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Ask and you shall recieve, its quite late here so i dont want to rev the bike loud enough to set off the shift indicator, that picture comes tomorrow

·
Registered
993 Posts
I'm not too hip on cutting into the factory harness to install any add-on. If it don't come plug and play I figure I don't really need it. Of course then it would probably cost about 50 percent more, but I could live with that.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not too hip on cutting into the factory harness to install any add-on. If it don't come plug and play I figure I don't really need it. Of course then it would probably cost about 50 percent more, but I could live with that.
Haha, well this, the wheel illumination kit, and the pig spotter mirrors all involved tapping factory wires, and considering I'm doing mechatronic engineering at uni I'm not too fussed if something goes wrong, heck I'd probably be excited to fix it. The uni student part also comes into play with me being cheap :D But I completely understand not wanting to mess with the harness, besides the ECU its the main electrical section you really don't want to mess up on.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Maybe purchase some jumper plugs? I'm ok with wiring stuff, just don't want to cut factory harness untill warrenty is over, that way if I mess up and don't ground it properly and fry the harness I won't have to worry about warrenty issues.

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
Engear are working on harness plug kits but may be April or May before they get them here Stateside. The ones they have for Yami, Honda etc are $59 FYI..

Reactions: old_rider

·
Registered
993 Posts
Engear are working on harness plug kits but may be April or May before they get them here Stateside. The ones they have for Yami, Honda etc are $59 FYI..

Sweet, thanks for that info

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe purchase some jumper plugs? I'm ok with wiring stuff, just don't want to cut factory harness untill warrenty is over, that way if I mess up and don't ground it properly and fry the harness I won't have to worry about warrenty issues.
If you stuff up you'll blow a fuse, that's what they're there for. Looking at your bike though list I'm guessing you've been riding for a while though and a gear indicator would be moot for you :p

Good move on Starlane's part, save all the people new to bikes and electronics having to cut into their harness, should have tried to release a little earlier though.

·
Registered
993 Posts
For me it would be a moot point, but the wife is just now learning how to ride, was thinking of adding one on for her, just to let her know what gear she is in would help tons for learning, and the "when to shift" might help also, even tho she is picking it up fairly good on the rebel. Personally an audio "when to shift beep" would be better for her than a visual, the practice of having to "look" at the light to shift could prove bad for my wife...LOL.. she is getting better at listening for the rpm level to shift, but a beep, would help tons and keep her eyes on the road.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The beeps volume would have to be governed by the speed input so it doesn't deafen you at low speeds, and then it would get louder as you get faster so you can still hear it, but I think it would be possible, however, the light is VERY noticeable when it comes on, you easily notice it out of peripheral vision, I think you would find she looks at the gear indicator more than at the light that flashes. I'll make a video for you tomorrow showing it in action. I don't think you really need it after very long anyway, and she would probably know when to shift by the time the adapter is released as well :D Best of luck to her though!!! Learning to ride is the thing I'm most happy I've done with my life thus far, without a doubt.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I installed this today, it's awesome. If there's enough interest I'll make an install guide. Pics to come.

You can purchase it here http://store.hardracing.com/cart.php?target=product&product_id=18650&category_id=

Pros:
- Shift Light is awesome and when it pops on you'd have to really not be paying attention to miss it
- Cheaper than Healtech, (IMO more functionality as well), your saving $50 for two hours work, and you end up with a better system
- Has a light sensor that works very well, no visibility problems during the day and I don't go blind at night

Cons:
- Install requires removal of the entire left side of the bikes fairings so you can piggyback 5 wires onto the harness that connects to the instrument cluster

Installation will take 1 hour to 2 depending on how quick you have gotten at taking your fairings off, and how competent you are at soldering. For me I had to look through the service manual and scrutinise a few wiring diagrams to find out which wires to tap, however I actually enjoyed this part and I feel I know the bike better from it, and you would be able to skip this step as I can tell you exactly which wires you need to solder on the harness with which one from the Engear. Soldering isn't necessary, you can use wire taps but make sure you insulate them, preferably with 100mp/h tape over electircal tape, as the positive and negative are close and the fuse they are on controls the ignition and instrument cluster so you really don't want to blow that one while riding. If you haven't soldered before and want to solder these wires, practice on some scrap wire for an hour or so until you are very confident before you start soldering on the harness, it's a tight area and you can easily burn yourself or other parts on the bike if your not careful(fortunately I did not :D ). Soldering is a great skill to have anyway, especially if you plan on doing more mods to the electrics of your bike.

Teaching the system is not hard at all, and is even easier if you have a rear wheel stand. It will take you about 5 minutes in total with or without the stand. You can reprogram the shift light at any time, or turn it off, both actions take about 30 seconds. I have it at the very peak of the horsepower bell curve because I go through the twisties a lot(don't ride above your skill level, and always stay in your lane, I see too many accidents on the Old Pacific Highway) but that's just me, if I lived in the city I'd probably set it at 8 - 8 1/2 as that's where the eco riding light tends to turn off on my baby, so I'd know to change gears when i get past the most fuel efficient part of the engine.

As a side note, the pig spotter 2 mirrors were a pain to install, the wheel lighting kit was fairly easy, but if anyone gets either of them and would like some help I can make a guide for them as well for you guys.

Edit: Pictures Added
i dont want to rev the bike loud enough to set off the shift indicator

1 - 14 of 14 Posts