Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

So my '14 300 has slowly been developing a semi-loud squeal on cold start. It used to do it maybe once every 20 starts, but now its much more frequent. It only lasts maybe half a second, and then it completely subsides. Bike runs great, after startup its completely normal. It sounds kind of like a car's belt squeaking.

Any ideas what it is? It has slowly progressed, but the bike still starts up perfectly fine, battery is plenty strong, ect.

Any help is appreciated guys.
-Mike

·
Registered
251 Posts
Does it happen right as the bike fires? My first thought is something with the starter or starter clutch but from the description alone it's hard to tell.
Could you get a video of it? That would help a lot.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hahaha. well, yes, the sound occurs right after the engine starts firing. if it cranked and didnt start, the sound would not happen. I'll try to get a video, but it may take a couple failed attempts. Today's cold start, it tried to make the sound, but it didn't really happen today. It also wasn't as cold this morning. Any more ideas?

Thanks guys. Hopefully its not too bad, I suspect it could be starter clutch or something, I am not sure though.
-Mike

·
Registered
251 Posts
My first thought is bearings in the starter. It could be a lot of different components in the engine but it's unlikely and starters can make some pretty strange noises as the bearngs go bad.
As the engine starts the starter becomes unloaded and that's when worn plain bearings will sort of "rattle" and the rapid vibration can sound like a squal.
Again it's very hard to know without at least hearing it but the starter is a fairly common failure point.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Didn't happen today, so no sample sound. Maybe I'll just start bump starting to save my starter haha.

Its intermittent, like today it made no noise the first cold start. So I am not sure if that means anything.
-Mike

·
Registered
554 Posts
Didn't happen today, so no sample sound. Maybe I'll just start bump starting to save my starter haha.

Its intermittent, like today it made no noise the first cold start. So I am not sure if that means anything.
-Mike
Perhaps, it is just in its " Break In Time Period ". :surprise:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Eh. Doesn't mean or not mean much without more context. If it's the starter then just keeping an eye on it and taking care of it when it's gets bad enough is fine. If it's something else then????

1 - 13 of 13 Posts